IGNORED

Cashless Ashton Gate ....

WhistleHappy

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just a shame the drink selection was so limited.

basing this on nothing other than an educated guess, but I think the club are tied into Henieken - ie the lounge and branding. Most of the drinks are Henieken products - maltsmiths ipa, fosters etc. Thatchers I believe have a good relationship with Henieken (as are in a lot of their pubs and Enterprise pubs and Star bars) so have piggy backed in as well.

Not a great choice for fans, but I imagine they're giving City a fair wedge so can't complain really

3 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Old bloke here. Rarely use cash anymore. Usually have a tenner in my back pocket to cover contactless breakdown issues.

Good to have that choice Rog, most of us carry emergency cash and mix&match our 'way to pay' options... It works fine right now, suits everyone, …..

Bit of a problem in future though when 'contactless breakdown issues' arise, computer says no etc, system 'goes down'  and the customer service person behind the counter (when you are lucky enough to find one) doesn't have a clue how to work the old fashioned dusty old cash till in the corner... in any case it doesn't have change, cos its now a cashless facility so doesn't have a cash float.... "anyway Sir, I'll just switch this terminal off and on again, see if it's working again yet If not can you come back tomorrow, I'm sure it'll be ok by then ''   

4 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Aren’t there still a significant number of people without bank accounts or cards? How will they cope in the cashless world? Probably  cant afford football though.

To answer my own question, 1.5 million adults (2015 figures) apparently.

Amazingly there are 68 million (22%) unbanked in the USA.

So does that mean they are scanning your season ticket and cash point card?

A good step could be to pre order and pay for drinks etc via the app / season ticket card, where your drinks are ready for you to collect at half time,

Whilst on this, would be good if in the sports bar (and probable elsewhere) you can see on one of the TV's when the players have come out for the 2nd half.

We went out for a meal with friends of ours about a month ago, they were visiting from their place in France so they were carrying "tourist money" as they put it. I paid for the meal on the card, they gave me their half in cash (around £80). Apart from a recent win at the bookies (£73 for £1 stake), I can't remember the last time I had that much money on me. When we got home I stuck it in a draw and said to my wife we would use it instead of the card over the next couple of weeks. We keep forgetting it's there! I think we have only spent about £20 of it, we are so used to cards now, it just seems a pointless way of dealing with transactions these days.

13 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

So does that mean they are scanning your season ticket and cash point card?

A good step could be to pre order and pay for drinks etc via the app / season ticket card, where your drinks are ready for you to collect at half time,

Whilst on this, would be good if in the sports bar (and probable elsewhere) you can see on one of the TV's when the players have come out for the 2nd half.

I thought Swipe Station was introduced at the ground so you could pre-order and pay for drinks at the same time. I'm not sure if it is still working.

They did an announce it when it was first introduced -

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/ashton-gate-trials-new-click-collect-beer-service/

Seems like a good idea - if it works as suggested.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We went out for a meal with friends of ours about a month ago, they were visiting from their place in France so they were carrying "tourist money" as they put it. I paid for the meal on the card, they gave me their half in cash (around £80). Apart from a recent win at the bookies (£73 for £1 stake), I can't remember the last time I had that much money on me. When we got home I stuck it in a draw and said to my wife we would use it instead of the card over the next couple of weeks. We keep forgetting it's there! I think we have only spent about £20 of it, we are so used to cards now, it just seems a pointless way of dealing with transactions these days.

This. Cash is far more hassle than contactless/card, so I can’t understand the preference for it from people other than those who object purely on the grounds of not liking things to change. 

3 minutes ago, cheesleywalksoncider said:

I thought Swipe Station was introduced at the ground so you could pre-order and pay for drinks at the same time. I'm not sure if it is still working.

They did an announce it when it was first introduced -

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/ashton-gate-trials-new-click-collect-beer-service/

Seems like a good idea - if it works as suggested.

Not seen that or the machines - did anyone use it?

3 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

I find it's easier to piss your money away with card. Will always rather pay with cash as it's easier to budget with. 

I'm the opposite. I'm more likely to grab an afternoon snack if I have any cash in my pocket because it's there.

I much prefer to manage my finances by app, to see how much I have left and budget. When it's cash it's a lot harder, and just gets spent really. 

In a similar vein First Bus announced yesterday that they were having a price review ( putting the prices up). Seems they want people to use their app to speed boarding the bus and the prices are cheaper on the app. Think they always have been but they are now making one flat fare instead of being outer and inner,  so price of an innner going up 50p to reflect this and then going up another 50p if you pay cash and even if you use contactless I think (?) As only the app is cheaper where you have to pre buy. 

All well and good to try and speed things up but people who aren’t familiar with routes will still hold up the bus talking to the driver trying to get the right fare, people who aren’t so good on their feet will hold up the bus, traffic will hold up the bus. And of course you have to make sure the technology to read the app works faultlessly. 

I saw a discussion earlier saying there were going to be protests about the rise for such a shoddy service. People were saying not everyone has smart phones to take advantage of cheaper fares. I guess the pensioners have their free passes though so won’t need a smart phone but it is a good point. I don’t see why people paying contactless, if I have read it right, are subjected to a fare higher than the app. You would have to make sure your phone has enough charge in it too or you can’t board the bus I guess.

So be glad at football we can use contactless, not just an app. Or at least we are charged the same price. I rarely use cash now either, but always have a little on me ‘just in case’.

Someone mentioned programmes - I assume contactless readers (like what paypal advertise) would be the solution. I only use cash for a programme and frequently have to get a tenner out in order to break it with the programme seller. I don't think cashless 90% is the way to go, not if AG was one of the only places that didn't take cash. There's nothing to stop tills being more automated though, why does the cashier need to touch the money with the advent of self service machines that can count money and give change?

As for pocket money, I am confident City will implement a cashcard soon enough, I know Birmingham City use one (although the technology is slow, the principle idea is there). 15 years ago I was using a card at school to pay for lunch, topping it up was easy and could be done with coins or cheques, technology has moved on. If you could get a cashcard without having to share information about yourself (in the same way you can get a nando's reward card), kids & adults would be able to use them. Not registering it would just be a risk in case you lost it.

As someone that works with data and working around people opting out of sharing information, no one cares if you opt out, you are left out of the final breakdowns as there is no benefit to reporting on "prefer not to say". At the end of the day, it's your loss if anything is done using the data to influence decisions.

If you work with the information, there's no reason to go out of your way to obtain more information than you already have access to. Plus, with tighter data protection regulations, companies risk massive fines for the missuse of data.

4 minutes ago, harrys said:

Personally I pay for as little as I can by card, I just don’t trust the banking system, it will save me a good few quid if AG goes contactless

Presumably the cash you have to periodically withdraw in order to live this way is kept in a ... ... ...

Bank?

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Aren’t there still a significant number of people without bank accounts or cards? How will they cope in the cashless world? Probably  cant afford football though.

There are already lots of places besides football that the unbanked are now suffering for the shift to cashless, but in response there are a range of prepaid wallet solutions that you can sign up for with only basic ID, which give teenagers/migrants/etc a payment card, and therefore the same level of access as anyone else.

The remedy to the risk of downtime (which has hit card payments in the UK specifically several times this year) would be for clubs to incentivise supporters to pre-load a card with funds - so that a transaction in the ground does not need to go to Visa/MC and actual card payments take place when you load funds at home.

This is my line of work and there are lots more interesting things coming down the line that'll change things more. As someone else has said, in football Germany is further along (although the main provider of all their early stage cashless solutions went bust, which tells a story about whether this can be made profitable). 

On the other hand I happen to know that the provider of one of the most well publicised Championship club initiatives launched this season, is charging them an eye-watering amount per payment via their season cards, which tells me some clubs must (for now at least) buy into value/savings/efficiency of going cashless.  

Archived