IGNORED

Cashless Ashton Gate ....

WhistleHappy

1 minute ago, harrys said:

What do I not trust about banks? When I’ve got a spare couple of hours i’ll let you know

I mean in the context of contactless transactions? You’ve basically said you won’t use it if AG goes contactless due to mistrust, so I just wondered what the rationale was for that. 

3 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

A cashfree bar at the Stoke game was the first step in making Ashton Gate a virtually cashfree card only venue... Confirmed on Radio Bristol... Aim is to make Ashton Gate 90% cash free next season.

Transactions and purchases to become 90% card only... Speed up service, prevents having to deal with lots of cash banking etc..

Does a non cash card only matchday experience suit you?... Thoughts...

Cash is king!  Nothing against the club it’s the way the world is going so only natural they would follow suit and the reasons to do this are obvious, however for society it’s the reasons to not go cashless that are less obvious which concern me with a cashless society. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I mean in the context of contactless transactions? You’ve basically said you won’t use it if AG goes contactless due to mistrust, so I just wondered what the rationale was for that. 

I don’t trust banks full stop, I have endless stories of disputes I have had with banks due to some sort of error, if my pint cost me £4 then I know i’m paying £4 in cash, no problem,  I know it’s the way of things now and even my kids give me stick over it although it was rather comical a couple of weeks ago when the card terminals up their local went into meltdown and all of a sudden they were trying to tap me for the folding stuff

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Interesting. Like the idea though. How might that work with the legal requirements on the club to not serve to minors? 

They have a wine one of these in Pata Negra on Corn Street, you basically put money on a special card at the bar then go to the machine which has different wines, swipe your card and the wine comes out!  No more waiting at the bar (as long as you put enough credit on it!)

3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

They have a wine one of these in Pata Negra on Corn Street, you basically put money on a special card at the bar then go to the machine which has different wines, swipe your card and the wine comes out!  No more waiting at the bar (as long as you put enough credit on it!)

Same on P&O cruise ships. Self service wine, charged to your cruise card and settle up at the end of the trip.

27 minutes ago, harrys said:

I don’t trust banks full stop, I have endless stories of disputes I have had with banks due to some sort of error, if my pint cost me £4 then I know i’m paying £4 in cash, no problem,  I know it’s the way of things now and even my kids give me stick over it although it was rather comical a couple of weeks ago when the card terminals up their local went into meltdown and all of a sudden they were trying to tap me for the folding stuff

I work in financial sector and high street banks and building societies are disappearing rapidly (only Nationwide has a goal to open more and will end up being one of the only players I think), but as you’ve suggested, the risks when cyber security is breached are that nobody can access their money and there is nowhere to go to get any without branches on the high street.  Our society is reliant on digital  systems working, and a huge cyber threat could have huge impacts to our way of life, that’s why financial companies are investing heavily in IT security to try and ensure it doesn’t happen, which is fine for rich banks but small time businesses and local governments don’t have the cash to invest so are at much greater risk 

2 hours ago, Selred said:

I'm the opposite. I'm more likely to grab an afternoon snack if I have any cash in my pocket because it's there.

I much prefer to manage my finances by app, to see how much I have left and budget. When it's cash it's a lot harder, and just gets spent really. 

There is that of course, it's easier to hide from my lovely wife if I spend cash...... :whistle:

How far will technology go in helping us, making our lives easier, faster etc... Taking care of everything until we become so dependant that IT rules us and our tiny little insignificant brains?  …..  Is every step along the road, each little thin edge of a humongous wedge leading us blindly towards a utopian dream that inevitably becomes a nightmare?  How far have we gone down that road already, we're already bricks in a wall, easier simpler faster 'til we're trapped in the system and theres no way out, the system that takes every decision for us and there will be no way back...

Governments, Institutions, Big 1984 Bro's.... all part of it, ….. for us in a tiny insignificant way is it starting right here at The Gate? All naïve pawns in someone's mysterious game of ultimate control masterplan?

Are we willingly and blindly signing up for President Joe's dream....?

# Saviour Machine (Bowie, The Man Who Sold The World)    

As far as I'm aware unlike London you can't use contactless on the buses it remains an aspiration. It's just the app or cash. I regularly use contactless and its a good idea for speeding up time at the bars; no having to get change ,but you need to remember that if you've already made 3 contactless payments in a day that total at or near £90(3xmax£30 transaction) you will be asked to put your pin in, so it could well lead to some queues at the bars. 

14 minutes ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

As far as I'm aware unlike London you can't use contactless on the buses it remains an aspiration. It's just the app or cash. I regularly use contactless and its a good idea for speeding up time at the bars; no having to get change ,but you need to remember that if you've already made 3 contactless payments in a day that total at or near £90(3xmax£30 transaction) you will be asked to put your pin in, so it could well lead to some queues at the bars. 

I use contactless on the bus from the Portway to AG

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

We are not the dinosaurs that you believe we are. Only a very small minority queue at the Post Office each week for our pension and those that do that, are probably not well off enough to come to watch City or Bris.

I am not saying you in particular are a dinosaur at all, and many of the older generation will change, but the majority won't want to - me included. I am in my 40s and never use contactless unless I have to (happily use Ringo/Uber/London travel when up there) etc, I am not some technophobe and far from it but I have always used cash and always want to, as I know exactly where I stand and what I am spending for that day. If I go to Ashton Gate, away matches, concerts, shows, night out etc etc, I go out with what I am happy to spend in cash. I couldn't imagine going on away days, or weekends away and only paying by card. Just seems ridiculous to me!

A couple of reasons of not trusting the banks.

check out Noel Edmonds issues with his claims against them.

ppi payments was through high court ruling.

mortgage fraud / scam

securtisation / bonds sold in your name every time you create a loan

money laundering by banks

and the list goes on

??

18 hours ago, cockneydave said:

Be a bit awkward for the charity collections.!

I think this is a very valid point.

I can’t remember the charity in question on Saturday, but I had no change to drop in the bucket.

I usually buy a poppy n November but will have to physically remember to carry some change with me at some point.

On a similar note, when One Team comes out I have to raid my pennies jar otherwise I can’t buy it.

The catering is a business so if the savings from the loss of cash handling outweigh the loss of sales from people who won't use cards for low value transactions then it's going to happen.

I won't use a card for anything under £50 or so which will mean no half time hot drink for me but that's not something about which I'm going to get excited.

4 hours ago, RedM said:

I thought under 16’s are only admitted with an adult. Still too young to drink but there certainly aren’t groups of young teams entering like there used to be.

Thanks. I was genuinely curious. Sounded a bit ominous to hear that the club were 'actively discouraging' unaccompanied youngsters. I wonder if H&S law comes in here - do we know if other clubs have the same policy of excluding unaccompanied U16s? Is it a whole-of-football thing rather than a City thing?

Archived