IGNORED

Cashless Ashton Gate ....

WhistleHappy

9 hours ago, Greatgraham said:

A couple of reasons of not trusting the banks.

check out Noel Edmonds issues with his claims against them.

ppi payments was through high court ruling.

mortgage fraud / scam

securtisation / bonds sold in your name every time you create a loan

money laundering by banks

and the list goes on

??

I don't think any of that goes away with a stubborn refusal to use your contactless debit card as opposed to taking a tenner out of the same bank account at a cashpoint

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Is it cheaper for the club to process cashless transactions? If so will the saving be passed onto the punter?

I was told that a contactless payment incurs less fees than a chip and pin but I have no idea how true this is? 

14 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

How?

I'm pretty sure children can't independently buy ST's, and are not allowed to pay on the day, either individually or with a group of friends of the same age.

The only children we see at AG are either with parental/adult accompaniment, school groups with teachers, or young teams of flag bearers with their club coaches etc.

Plus ball boys, but they are also under adult supervision.

As I understand it if half a dozen 13 year old friends decided they wanted to turn up and pay on the day together ( the way I and my friends first started watching City) without any adults chaperoning them, they wouldn't get in.

If that's the case It's a huge change from when I found City as an 11 year old, queuing up at the EE with a few friends, and a fundamental change that doesn't seem to have had any publicity at any time.

P.S. Just seen your reply to RedM above - no idea if any other/all clubs have the same policy.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO Am I correct above, do City prohibit juveniles from attending AG unaccompanied, and if so, why, and when did this start?

4 hours ago, 054123 said:

I think this is a very valid point.

I can’t remember the charity in question on Saturday, but I had no change to drop in the bucket.

I usually buy a poppy n November but will have to physically remember to carry some change with me at some point.

On a similar note, when One Team comes out I have to raid my pennies jar otherwise I can’t buy it.

Think it was St Peter’s Hospice, so feel assured you helped a very worthy cause. There is a charity collection every league game, and rugby too. Your small change is willingly received I would think.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm pretty sure children can't independently buy ST's, and are not allowed to pay on the day, either individually or with a group of friends of the same age.

The only children we see at AG are either with parental/adult accompaniment, school groups with teachers, or young teams of flag bearers with their club coaches etc.

As I understand it if half a dozen 13 year old friends decided they wanted to turn up and pay on the day together ( the way I and my friends first started watching City) without any adults chaperoning them, they wouldn't get in.

If that's the case It's a huge change from when I found City as an 11 year old, queuing up at the EE with a few friends, and a fundamental change that doesn't seem to have had any publicity at any time.

P.S. Just seen your reply to RedM above - no idea if any other/all clubs have the same policy.

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO Am I correct above, do City prohibit juveniles from attending AG unaccompanied, and if so, why, and when did this start?

If a kid has a ticket, surely they can just swipe it at the entrance. I can’t see any steward checking whether the adult next to them is with them or not.

34 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Can only be a good thing with the 1p, 2p, 5p, and 10p now virtually worthless. 

*all virtually worthless coins gratefully received … I'll willingly take them off your hands (any quantity no problem) 

Anyone wishing to get rid of these nuisance pocket busting metallic discs ….just pop 'em into large tins/jars labelled  ''WHappy Holiday, New Car, Piss Up Fund'  :dance:   meet me in the car park! 

(I'll be standing in a empty space which with your help I hope to fill with a shiny new motor in the near future) 

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

If a kid has a ticket, surely they can just swipe it at the entrance. I can’t see any steward checking whether the adult next to them is with them or not.

Two kids up in the Dolman a couple of times this season - they started talking and said they were on their own with no parents (mind you their language suggested they may not have any that gave a t0ss anyway). So I guess if you have a ticket you can walk in as nobody will be stopped.

On 30/10/2018 at 11:22, RUSSEL85 said:

I still like using cash as much as possible, I find it easier to manage budget/ finances. Its so easy to hand over plastic and not see it as "real money" these days. In answer to your question, no, it doesn't suit me but that's just me, im sure others will disagree.

No, I'm totally with you. Cashless is all fun and games until you see your statement.

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

*all virtually worthless coins gratefully received … I'll willingly take them off your hands (any quantity no problem) 

Anyone wishing to get rid of these nuisance pocket busting metallic discs ….just pop 'em into large tins/jars labelled  ''WHappy Holiday, New Car, Piss Up Fund'  :dance:   meet me in the car park! 

(I'll be standing in a empty space which with your help I hope to fill with a shiny new motor in the near future) 

If a 19,000 attendance all gave you 1p you'd only have £190.

May need to put the holiday, and new car on hold. But the piss up is a possibility...

In any case, how much longer are we going to piss around with 1p/2p coins for? Just a nuisance now. Their only use is for dumping into the self service machines at the supermarket. 

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Children have to be 14 to come in on their own. If they’re under 14 then they need to be accompanied by someone who is over 18. This is from a duty of care perspective. This has been in place for a number of years, although i don't know the exact start date.

First game of last season (v Barnsley) - went in the Lansdown and none of the outlets were taking cards due to technical fault.

My daughter wanted something to eat but neither of us had enough cash for more than a Mars bar. 

If the whole ground is reliant on card payments and  such a fault is repeated then there will a significant loss of revenue and some angry punters.

32 minutes ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Children have to be 14 to come in on their own. If they’re under 14 then they need to be accompanied by someone who is over 18. This is from a duty of care perspective. This has been in place for a number of years, although i don't know the exact start date.

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't know about any 'duty of care perspective', but I do know I didn't need to be chaperoned by an adult at Ashton Gate at 12 or 13.

My parents had an interesting term for such occasional independence with your friends - they called it 'growing up'.

The 'juvenile' queue for the EE in the 70's & 80's was often the biggest at Ashton Gate, and many of these youngsters, like me, will have gone on to become lifelong fans. You wonder how many similar young (potential) City fans of today cannot gain entry to AG because their Dad/Mum/Uncle isn't interested in going to City, so they fail to form this bond with the club at an early age. Oh, well, they can always watch the PL and Champions League on TV.... little wonder then so many young Bristolians choose to support Liverpool, Man.Utd etc. when they can't get into their local ground.

My Dad wasn't a football or City fan by the way, so if present day rules applied it's quite possible I'd never have set foot inside AG.

A couple of follow up questions - do Rovers have exactly the same policy, and are the conditions of entry Bristol City apply to U14's followed by all English league clubs? 

2 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

If a 19,000 attendance all gave you 1p you'd only have £190.

May need to put the holiday, and new car on hold. But the piss up is a possibility...

In any case, how much longer are we going to piss around with 1p/2p coins for? Just a nuisance now. Their only use is for dumping into the self service machines at the supermarket. 

1p/2p's  still work and come in handy sometimes on hard fishing days...  Flick one into the water when you need to 'buy a fish'  :)  

(I'm sure they'll put the prices up eventually though -like everything else!)

We should consider ourselves lucky. When knights set off on the crusades in the 12th, 13th century, they could be away for several years. Unfortunately  there were no cash dispensers on the way, so had to carry all their money in coins. Admittedly they did get around this  problem by pillaging and generally casing mayhem on the way. The local population probably blamed the awful Teds for this. 

On 30/10/2018 at 13:47, Betty Swallocks said:

The same as what they do now when they want to buy things with their pocket money on the computer games they play, hand over the cash to their parent who then pays on their card. 

Or they have their own card which they can have from 11 years old (with parental consent) - add it to their Smart phone (which no doubt they all have) and hey presto they have contactless through Apple Pay or the equivalent!

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

We should consider ourselves lucky. When knights set off on the crusades in the 12th, 13th century, they could be away for several years. Unfortunately  there were no cash dispensers on the way, so had to carry all their money in coins. Admittedly they did get around this  problem by pillaging and generally casing mayhem on the way. The local population probably blamed the awful Teds for this. 

This is true. I was only watching a documentary about the Knights Templar the other day and they had discovered definitive proof that, at the battle of Acre, there was a regiment of Ted mercenaries in the Saracens end.

22 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't know about any 'duty of care perspective', but I do know I didn't need to be chaperoned by an adult at Ashton Gate at 12 or 13.

My parents had an interesting term for such occasional independence with your friends - they called it 'growing up'.

The 'juvenile' queue for the EE in the 70's & 80's was often the biggest at Ashton Gate, and many of these youngsters, like me, will have gone on to become lifelong fans. 

My Dad wasn't a football or City fan by the way, so if present day rules applied it's quite possible I'd never have set foot inside AG.

This post could have been written by me or a whole bunch of same age kids from school who shared those same brilliant & exciting pre & early teen years... A healthy mix of Red or Blue supporters (similar numbers of each at our school, dare I say the Rovers supporting kids probably had a slight numerical advantage, but even then they always were in truth the 'poor relations'.. the Red/Blue … ''City or Rovers?' 'divide created daily banter and (mostly trouble free) class and play ground rivalry, Monday mornings at school were something to look forward too after weekend results... ) 

Age wise whether Red or Blue many kids of twelve and upwards regularly travelled to matches at The Gate or Eastville  by bus, football special coaches, foot or were dropped off and picked up by car … however we got there once through the turnstiles scarcely an adult or parent was to be seen on the terraces with us... We all had a great time, shared experiences which without doubt formed lifetime allegiances to our chosen clubs..

It was virtually a 'right of passage' juvenile experience for tens of thousands of kids in football towns and city's up and down the country back in the 60's / 70's... as long as we could get our hands on the few shillings admittance we'd be there in droves … 

Despite the lack of modern H&S, SAG and politically correct .'protection', the so called 'dangerous' standing only terraces provided a much better experience than kids of today will ever have... I cant recall any real problems from those days resulting from unaccompanied youngsters tbh.. (serious hooliganism rarely troubled or involved young fans and was the preserve of much older supporters which was a sign of the times)  

Subscription TV coverage of 'Glamour Club' matches, way too pricey ticket costs, admittance rules and regs, sterile stadiums etc etc have all but killed off the culture we grew up in, the culture from which lifetime supporters of home town clubs were created. 

We were 12/13/14year olds, rarely had adults or anyone holding our hands at the football (because that's the last thing we would have wanted or accepted) we loved it, and even now in our 50's & 60's we still dream of the 'good old days' and rue there passing, the only thing we've all taken along with us is an undying affiliation with 'our club' .

Conscious of it or not, there is a CTID essence running through our old bones, and it started way back when.

(phew, pause for breath ...f *** me! I do go on abit in my old age don't I ?  … :laugh:, sorry) 

Archived