IGNORED

Pubs for Reading away?

ScottMurray'srightboot

The Holiday Inn just off the last roundabout before the ground, (on the road that comes from the M4) is dedicated to

away fans and even prints a menu with the BCFC motto on it. There is always loads of city fans in there. They do charge

for secure parking but then it is only a 5 minute walk to the madstad.

Yeah, don’t drink in the Holiday Inn — it’s f****ng tripe. There’s a Spoons about a 5 minute walk from the station called The Hope Tap which is decent, and there’s a pub around the corner by the Sainsbury’s that’s also pretty decent. The bus service to the ground runs just outside them two pubs as well which is ideal.

I’d seriously advise avoiding Walkabout and Holiday Inn, both rubbish.

Best place for real ale is the Nags Head, 10 minutes from the station

5 Russell St, Reading, RG1 7XD. 

Also the close by Castle Tap is also good

120 Castle St, Reading, RG1 7RJ. 

More towards the centre of town is Pavlovs Dog

21-23 St Mary's Butts, Reading, RG1 2LN

all good, propr boozers with good beer  

5 hours ago, dunsteral said:

The Holiday Inn just off the last roundabout before the ground, (on the road that comes from the M4) is dedicated to

away fans and even prints a menu with the BCFC motto on it. There is always loads of city fans in there. They do charge

What’s our motto? 

4 hours ago, BessexRED said:

Yeah, don’t drink in the Holiday Inn — it’s f****ng tripe. There’s a Spoons about a 5 minute walk from the station called The Hope Tap which is decent, and there’s a pub around the corner by the Sainsbury’s that’s also pretty decent. The bus service to the ground runs just outside them two pubs as well which is ideal.

I’d seriously advise avoiding Walkabout and Holiday Inn, both rubbish.

I live in Reading so can say now if you are wearing colours or they suspect you are an away fan aside from the Three Guineas (Outside the ground) & Gateway (31 Greyfriars Rd, Reading RG1 1PA - Just further down the road to the station & Maybe Pavlovs Dog 21-23 St Mary's Butts, Reading, RG1 2LN) all pubs in the town centre will check tickets before the games and wont allow away fans in if in groups (might get away if you are 1/2). To also note about the buses its cheaper to get a taxi if you are in a group of 3/4 or more than to get the buses. 

15 hours ago, ScottMurray'srightboot said:

If you don't like the thread don't bother commenting. Drinking in pubs meeting up with fellow supporters is all part of away days. Johnson out.

I'm intrigued why you start the same thread for every local away game. 

I'm very aware of where people meet up before a game, perhaps you don't understand yet how this actually works against us when we go to away games? 

Those that need to know will know where people are drinking 

23 minutes ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

I'm very aware of where people meet up before a game, perhaps you don't understand yet how this actually works against us when we go to away games? 

Agreed, we’ve gone to some places before, usually off the beaten track a little, that had previously welcomed away but weren’t doing so that day because of a thread like this & social media. 

9 hours ago, Red DNA said:

Best place for real ale is the Nags Head, 10 minutes from the station

5 Russell St, Reading, RG1 7XD. 

Also the close by Castle Tap is also good

120 Castle St, Reading, RG1 7RJ. 

More towards the centre of town is Pavlovs Dog

21-23 St Mary's Butts, Reading, RG1 2LN

all good, propr boozers with good beer  

Castle tap had some well funky cider in last time. Don't remember much of the game.

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks' Barmy Army said:

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Agreed, we’ve gone to some places before, usually off the beaten track a little, that had previously welcomed away but weren’t doing so that day because of a thread like this & social media. 

Jesus Christ the lad/lass just wants a beer and to watch the early kick off with a few city fans leave off. Maybe they’re on their own? 

I'm not off to Reading away, but I could c & p my answer from Brentford.

Most clubs have home only pubs and designated away pubs- presumably said poster wants to find a pub that isn't home only.

Brentford doesn't but as far as I can gather, they're very much an outlier. However otoh the info can probably be found online elsewhere so I get why such a thread would be seen as unnecessary.

OP- this should help- not just for Reading either!

http://www.awaygames.co.uk/away-pubs/reading-away/

10 hours ago, CityFarAndWide said:

I live in Reading so can say now if you are wearing colours or they suspect you are an away fan aside from the Three Guineas (Outside the ground) & Gateway (31 Greyfriars Rd, Reading RG1 1PA - Just further down the road to the station & Maybe Pavlovs Dog 21-23 St Mary's Butts, Reading, RG1 2LN) all pubs in the town centre will check tickets before the games and wont allow away fans in if in groups (might get away if you are 1/2). To also note about the buses its cheaper to get a taxi if you are in a group of 3/4 or more than to get the buses. 

Went into The Hope Tap no bother last season, was full of away fans in there mate.

1 hour ago, tommytank1985 said:

Jesus Christ the lad/lass just wants a beer and to watch the early kick off with a few city fans leave off. Maybe they’re on their own? 

If they still find themselves on their own after arranging so many pre-match drinks I think there is probably a reason for that

18 hours ago, dunsteral said:

is that the one with a nice fish and chip shop just across the road, if it is it's worth going there just for that. think it was called deep blue, lovely cod and chips.

Archived