IGNORED

Bristol Derbies and their history (Merged)

RedLionLad

3 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

The sag who says that we are jealous of how loyal their support is ???

You can’t beat it when any Rovers fan brings up attendances to try and score a point, it’s factual that it’s not and has only ever been the case 2 or 3 seasons in 100 odd years that they have averaged more than City, and they never have for the last 40 odd years, yet they still persist with it?  Very strange

3 hours ago, RedRaw said:

I'm sorry bit this is just another bitter and jealous saghead desperately trying to be impartial but failing miserably.....it's almost like Holloway wrote it. If I had all day I'm sure I could pick that article to pieces but here are just a few of his fundamentally  flawed gems..................

"The most obvious starting point to understand this derby is the very physical divide between City and Rovers. City are in the South part of Bristol, Rovers are in the North, separated by the River Avon that flows through the city".

Physically, as in stadiums yes but with regard to support, a very lazy, historical view that is no longer valid and hasn’t been for 20 years

"Today, Bristol is well known for its multiculturalism and creative edge, much of which coincidentally comes from the areas immediately surrounding each of the football stadiums; Stokes Croft at Rovers and Southville at City."

Stokes Croft has no relevance or geographical bearing to Rovers whatsoever......other than they both attract the great unwashed.

"Frustration has grown at City over their inability to shake off their neighbours for good. There is that feeling that if Rovers weren’t around, City would have that extra support and financial power to be a Premier League team, and that undoubtedly brings with it significant resentment."

Absolutely laughable.....words fail me

"They point to the percieved lack of loyalty of the City fans who were there for the 1st Division games but disappeared when the going got tough. City fans in turn have condemned Rovers for not helping them out, and rather attempting to finish them off once and for all. The club continued to leak funds, not helped by crowds plummeting from 30000 in the 1st Division to 2 or 3000 in the lower leagues."

Absolute horse shit. We averaged just under 7,000 during the slide with the lowest average being over 4,700

"Rovers have stuck with their team all the way down to non-league, and there is a begrudging respect of the loyalty they have always shown"

Here we go again with this self-proclaimed “loyalty” bullcrap……I promise you, nobody respects you for your "loyalty" or indeed anything

"City play at Ashton Gate as they have since 1904, and Rovers, while now at the Memorial Stadium, remain in the same part of town as always."

What apart from 10 years in a completely different city…….franchise eh?

"Perhaps the safety net and comfort of Rovers being below them has prevented them keeping their eyes on the prize."

One of the most cringeworthy gas logic comments I have ever read

"There is a feeling that despite the dominance that the red half has had, Rovers have proved impossible to shake off. There is extreme pride from the blue side of their ability to fluorish when their backs are against the wall."

Impossible to shake off? We do not need to shake you off.....you are an insignificance, an embarrassment to Bristol and have no bearing on us, on or off the pitch.

"Depending on the fortunes of each club at any given time, “Mind the Gap” is a refrain heard either side of the Avon. To City, Rovers have proved to be like a bad smell they can’t quite get rid of."

So, what you mean is if the gas win one game they're fans come out of the woodwork telling us they’re “coming for us” whilst City use it to reiterate the 18 year gap both on and off the pitch  

Nailed it, Red Raw. Those above who think they are "one or two errors" haven't read it properly. What a bag of shit writing.

4 hours ago, RedRaw said:

"Depending on the fortunes of each club at any given time, “Mind the Gap” is a refrain heard either side of the Avon. To City, Rovers have proved to be like a bad smell they can’t quite get rid of."

The quote that RedRaw picked out here tells you that this is a gAss-eyed view writing this. “Mind the Gap” is a refrain heard either side of the Avon. Seriously? What, by City fans either side of the river? When the f have they ever said that about us? I'll let you into a bit of a secret, it was me and a few other mates who started saying "Mind The Gap!" about 12 years ago, having been to London*. In that time - and it goes back no further than that, at least I'd never heard it before then and @77 punk will confirm that - when have they even been near us, let alone in a position where "the fortunes" of the Unhygienic have allowed them to look at us and say "mind the gap"? To imply it something each club says about the other as our trajectories waver is utter, utter fkng folderol. That's clearly gleaned by someone who has no understanding of that phrase and just plucked out of common parlance or off a forum and made stuff up to suit the supposedly balanced outlook.

Mind the gap - yeah, right. At our lowest ebb, in 82/3 our average was 4,723. As they lorded it over us from the division above, encouraging us to be careful of the precipice opening up twixt us, they averaged 6,195. So, about 1400 more, then. That really is a gap.

*someone else may have been saying it, but I'm not so sure. I know me and a few were constantly saying that in pubs and at the games, 77punk and his younger brother will corroborate. Pretty sure people heard it and it spread. Not that we're clever. We're not. We're really not.

"At Twerton, every game felt like it could be our last, the faithful 5000 got behind the team..." Ian, Bristol Rovers fan/believer in fairy tales.

You averaged 3,243 the first season at Trumpton, Ian. Then 3,692 the next season. Some of the "faithful" were doing something else in 87 and 88. Only when you started winning games in the third season there, and made the play offs, did you average 5,200. "Loyal" and Few.

"....between 1980 and 1982, the club suffered three relegations, all the way down to division 4. The club continued to leak funds, not helped by crowds plummeting from 30,000 in the First Division to 2 or 3000 in the lower leagues...."

Bit vague this last highlighted bit, so let's help them out with some facts:

In 82/3, after three successive relegations, playing in the 4th division, a club in shellshock we averaged 4,723, more than those ****wits got at Trumpton (when they were at a low ebb).

The season before this, in 81/2, when we were relegated from the third and they stayed up, we averaged 6,308 and they averaged 5,397.

The one before that, when we were both relegated from Div 2, we averaged 9,500 and they got 5973. 

Only once did we average below 5000, but they make it sound - "leagues" - like it was more often. How effortlessly lies, myth, make believe and alternative facts slip from the mouths of Bristol Rovers fans. What can possibly drive this?

We envy their "loyalty" "regardless of how poor we're performing" (Will, Bristol Rovers tosser) because our crowds were a lot less in the 4th division than they were in the First, but Rovers apparently used to get "20-30,000 at Eastville." What happened to all them, then? "Loyal" and Few.

So, they can go from "20 - 30,000" to what they remember was 5000 but was in fact 3000 and they are "loyal" regardless. They get 3,200 when they finished 19th in 87, then 6200 a couple of years later when they finished 1st - and that's "regardless" ? 

"Pathological liars" Danny Baker called them on the BBC. I think they cope with harsh reality through withdrawal into magical thinking and make believe. Like President Trump if you want to believe something is true then it's true! They are like four and five year olds when it comes to all this.

1 hour ago, Flounder said:

In this day and age of camera phones CCTV and social media has anyone ever see a picture of a City fan at the Mem that day?

No I didn’t . But given the chance to see them go down I may be tempted to sneak to a game given the opportunity to watch !! 

36 minutes ago, Huntstile Red said:

Mind the gap - yeah, right. At our lowest ebb, in 82/3 our average was 4,723. As they lorded it over us from the division above, encouraging us to be careful of the precipice opening up twixt us, they averaged 6,195. So, about 1400 more, then. That really is a gap.

You need to add to these figures that while we struggled for most of 82/3 and were bottom of the pile - 92nd - at one point that season, finally finishing 14th in Div 4, Rovers in the division above were chasing third place and promotion for most of that season, finishing 7th.

Three years later, they were down to 4,100 because they didn't win as many games and finished 16th. 2000 of the "loyal" seemed to "regard" the "poor form" as reason enough to stop going.

Fair play to those who suspected it. It took literally 30 seconds on Facebook to confirm the bloke is definitely Gas.

Really should’ve guessed tbh although I must admit I was thrown by the blokes ignorance of Bristol Rovers historical position in the Football League.

Explains the errors spotted by others in this thread.

I came across this little gem on "sag lies" in relation to this article (it probably should say "can't read it" as it was addressed to the great unwashed)

"For anyone who hasn’t the time to read it , in short it says City and their fans are scum and Rovers are the dogs bollocks , always have been always will be."

Quite apart from a somewhat biased read and more than a little enhancing with attendance figures on there side, the article does mention their age old racist problem with references to the National Front so considering this article was written by a sag I rather think that the sag poster got his facts wrong (what? Again?) and obviously this should read "gas racist scum" 

Mind you, what is it with the blue few's obsession with dog's testicles, must be a manager thing.

Strange how the acquisition of the Memorial Ground and subsequent running into ruin/bleeding the rugby club/selling off war memorial was glossed over completely as if it happened by magic and not design.

Is this the end of the Bristol derby? Doesn't feel like the two clubs will ever meet in a meaningful way again unless a disaster and miracle happen simultaneously.

7 minutes ago, Rinkadink said:

Strange how the acquisition of the Memorial Ground and subsequent running into ruin/bleeding the rugby club/selling off war memorial was glossed over completely as if it happened by magic and not design.

Is this the end of the Bristol derby? Doesn't feel like the two clubs will ever meet in a meaningful way again unless a disaster and miracle happen simultaneously.

Not sure you’ve thought that through. :ph34r:

So in actual fact this article is just another sad sag looking through rose tinted glasses airbrushing out facts desperately hoping for another derby.

For a derby you need a competitive rivalry and I just can't see one.

I couldn't care less if we never played them again such is their insignificance.

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Swansea nearly emulated our ‘feat’ - didn’t they go from 1st div to 4th div with 3 relegations in 4 seasons (1982/83 to 1985/86)?

Pompey did the same when they had their financial troubles about 10 years ago (3 relegations in 4 seasons) and are now looking like getting back into the championship this season

Clearly a disturbed Gas writer. As Rinkadink mentions, absolutely nothing about the disgusting way that the Dunfords acquired the Memorial Ground from Bristol RFC.

And no mention of the way the tenant Rugby club were treated in later years with removal of memorabilia from bars.

Rovers sold their ground in the 1930's and apart from the 1950's have been Bristol's minor league club. Perhaps Mr Clarke can do the right thing and take them down to the basement this year.

7 hours ago, FlintSaidNo said:

Pompey did the same when they had their financial troubles about 10 years ago (3 relegations in 4 seasons) and are now looking like getting back into the championship this season

Notts Co are currently near the foot of Division 4 (sorry, League 2). They were founder members of the Premier League. In 14 seasons, they had eleven promotions and relegations. Want excitement? Buy a season ticket for Meadow lane.

Archived