IGNORED

Not good news for football

Never to the dark side

AT least one professional football club is suspected to be a front for money laundering, MPs heard today. The Security Minister said there is an ongoing probe into allegations of criminal activity in UK football. A professional football team is being investigated over money laundering

But he refused to reveal which club is under investigation from the "British FBI" - and hinted more than one team could be involved. A number of top clubs have been taken over by overseas tycoons who made their fortunes in lightly regulated economies. Minister Ben Wallace told a Commons committee the sports industry is now at risk of being used to hide ill-gotten gains. 
Labour MP John Mann asked him:  "When it comes to money laundering, how many professional football clubs have been deemed as requiring investigation currently?"

Security Minister Ben Wallace revealed there is an ongoing investigation Mr Wallace replied: "I know of a professional football club or clubs under investigation.

"I couldn't reveal how many and what they are, for that is an operational matter." He added: "There are live investigations that go on all the time and to expand any more could threaten investigations. "The sports industry is as susceptible as anything else to dirty money being invested or their organisations being used as a way to launder money."

The minister said the probes could go on for years - leaving fans in the dark as to whether their favourite team could be involved. And he called on footie bosses to do more to stamp out dodgy financial practices from the sport. The National Crime Agency, Britain's equivalent of the FBI, refused to confirm any ongoing investigations into money laundering in football.

8 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

AT least one professional football club is suspected to be a front for money laundering, MPs heard today. The Security Minister said there is an ongoing probe into allegations of criminal activity in UK football. A professional football team is being investigated over money laundering

But he refused to reveal which club is under investigation from the "British FBI" - and hinted more than one team could be involved. A number of top clubs have been taken over by overseas tycoons who made their fortunes in lightly regulated economies. Minister Ben Wallace told a Commons committee the sports industry is now at risk of being used to hide ill-gotten gains. 
Labour MP John Mann asked him:  "When it comes to money laundering, how many professional football clubs have been deemed as requiring investigation currently?"

Security Minister Ben Wallace revealed there is an ongoing investigation Mr Wallace replied: "I know of a professional football club or clubs under investigation.

"I couldn't reveal how many and what they are, for that is an operational matter." He added: "There are live investigations that go on all the time and to expand any more could threaten investigations. "The sports industry is as susceptible as anything else to dirty money being invested or their organisations being used as a way to launder money."

The minister said the probes could go on for years - leaving fans in the dark as to whether their favourite team could be involved. And he called on footie bosses to do more to stamp out dodgy financial practices from the sport. The National Crime Agency, Britain's equivalent of the FBI, refused to confirm any ongoing investigations into money laundering in football.

Can rule one club out, got to put money in to take out. Can’t be Rovers !

5 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

The sags had their carpets laundered.

The only clean sheets they'll get this season.

edit: pleasebeVillapleasebeVillapleasebeVillapleasebeVillapleasebeVillapleasebeVilla

double edit: if it really is Villa that get busted and gutted for it, I'll stop hating Leeds. For a while.

54 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

The only clean sheets they'll get this season.

edit: pleasebeVillapleasebeVillapleasebeVillapleasebeVillapleasebeVillapleasebeVilla

double edit: if it really is Villa that get busted and gutted for it, I'll stop hating Leeds. For a while.

double double edit: ifnotvillaletitbecardiff

1 hour ago, chucky said:

Nope, it can't be them  "A number of top clubs have been taken over by overseas tycoons" Wally's no Tycoon.

13 minutes ago, RedZepperin said:

The Mem looks like it's been hit by one, not bought by one.

Reminds me of an old Alf Garnett 'joke'.

Upon reflection, that is not very funny at all.

Probably won't be them, but I recall reading somewhere, not long after Fosun bought Wolves, that China was limiting something about money being invested abroad.

One of the workarounds was via a football club for some reason.

Cannot remember the details as this was two years ago and posted on another football forum by a Brum fan so took it with a pinch of salt.

2 minutes ago, RedZepperin said:

On re-reading, my "joke" makes no sense whatsoever. Could be reworked maybe but not worth the bother. A bit like....never mind.

On the contrary; I found your joke amusing: mine, on the other hand, was borderline racist and, whereas you played on the words tycoon and typhoon, I changed the ty to tie, made it two words and attached a photograph of a man wearing a tie....

As I said, not very funny at all.  

Archived