IGNORED

Not City related- but how times change

Mr Popodopolous

http://www.wsc.co.uk/features/14157-sign-seal-deliver-the-booming-business-of-autograph-hunting

Now admittedly this is already quite well known, but it may and probably does- apologies if it has been covered on here in prior threads- go some way to explaining why football clubs are more reticent about footballers giving autographs explained these days.

56 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Are people becoming more and more stupid and obsessed by money ? 

How long will it be before clubs forbid their players to sign autographs outside of the official merchandising products ? 

Major, Chesterfield did it when they busy getting relegated out of the football league. 

If I do sometimes wait after a match to see the players I see these professional autograph collectors at work, home and away. It’s pretty obvious they are gathering them to sell on. They are armed with folders of players names, sometimes with pictures. They usually have no idea who players on asking fans to point out players to them, eg at Brentford one wanted to know if Walsh had gone by yet and could we point out other players. 

Others collectors hold out the folder to the player and say ‘can you sign by your name’, clearly no idea who they are. It’s actually quite amusing when a player goes to do this and tells the collector that they have already signed! When a collector does get a player they haven’t previously got I’ve seen them being asked to sign at least 3 or 4 times on different pages

Each to their own I suppose, but it does annoy me when these ‘gatherers’ get the autographs and the genuine fans miss out as by then the player just makes a rush to get away.

And for the record, it must be years since I got a player to autograph anything, so I’m not sour cos I’m missing out, as I’m not!

Archived