IGNORED

Singers, clappers, shouters and quiet people

reddogkev

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Live football is now an expensive passtime, and youngsters these days tend to have less spending power than OAPs. City, like all other clubs, has an ageing fanbase.

Which partly explains the declining noise from the stands.

Maybe. Youngsters can be a pretty broad term, however I can remember getting in for 40p paid out of my paper round...Not sure what paper boys get these days, but I would be interested to know if it would cover an u14 admission with a bit left over?...Anyone??

As for working youngsters/students. 1000 channels of TV, the Webber net, mobile phones and play station re attractions I never had as a kid

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I can only speak for myself, but it's a definite YES. :(

Oh, and here's a thread from 4 years ago, and we're all even older now.

I stopped going on the EE when dad got a bit old, so I guess there is an element of birds of a feather flock together, but I reckon the general truth is fans are getting older. The flip side is 20k are getting to games for Divvy 2 footy, so at least the old farts are not sitting at home!

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Maybe. Youngsters can be a pretty broad term, however I can remember getting in for 40p paid out of my paper round...Not sure what paper boys get these days, but I would be interested to know if it would cover an u14 admission with a bit left over?...Anyone??

I'm thinking more of late teens/early 20s, RO. Lots of jobs about back in the day. These days most have to get a degree or a few can work for not much pay in apprenticeships. If they live away from home they'll be paying a bigger percentage of their income towards accommodation too.

47 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm thinking more of late teens/early 20s, RO. Lots of jobs about back in the day. These days most have to get a degree or a few can work for not much pay in apprenticeships. If they live away from home they'll be paying a bigger percentage of their income towards accommodation too.

Spot on- far from a cheap pastime these days.

20 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I like to sing an anthem I'm familiar with if a fair few people already have it going, but I'll never start a song, and won't often join if it's just one or two people.

I think you've answered your own question here. Songs only become the rousing anthems that they are when people join in and sing.

20 hours ago, Robbored said:

Years ago I joined in pretty much every song/chat that started up in the old EE but I haven’t joined in any probably for years. Two probable reasons for that 1) I rarely hear and songs/chants from my seat in the Dolman. 2) I’m surrounded by blokes of my generation and we’ve all been there and done that and it doesn’t hold the enjoyment element as it used to.

Must be an age thing......

Very true but you need something to cheer or get off your seat

12 hours ago, David Brent said:

Don’t agree. I’ve been to all seater stadiums around the world and the atmosphere has been better than anything I’ve experienced at Ashton Gate except for brief highs. 

I think it needs to be orchestrated. People have said they will join in but won’t start. The club needs to employ a small number of fans who are happy to lead without it feeling like a burden. There’s no shame in megaphones / drums etc.. People want a pure atmosphere but it won’t happen by itself. Who cares if other clubs fans think it’s tinpot or plastic.

23k city fans at Ashton Gate could generate some serious noise. Turn the whole South Stand into unreserved seating and let people leave flags setup. Doesn’t help we share the stadium to be honest. Ultimately it’s down to us but the club could really help to get it going. 

I’ve been to stadiums where the demographic is completely different so there’s no reason why families can’t get involved.

It doesn’t bother me personally but another reason I think people get put off singing is songs containing bad language, especially when they don’t need to.

The key thing being that whilst stadiums on the continent may be ‘all seaters’ in name the vast majority of them may aswell still be terraces as most vocal ultras groups stand for the full 90 without any interference from stewards.

12 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Very true but you need something to cheer or get off your seat

The age old debate eh.

What comes first, noisy fans caused by a sparky performance- or vice versa?

When we we're at Leeds in Feb 2-0 up and well on top, what sparked them off? They created a fantastic atmosphere which spurred them on, which  combined with us not getting a grip on Hernandez, saw us crumble and nearly lose.

I don't remember anything that suddenly sparked their fans into life though- but spark into life they did!

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The age old debate eh.

When we we're at Leeds in Feb 2-0 up and well on top, what sparked them off? They created a fantastic atmosphere which spurred them on, which  combined with us not getting a grip on Hernandez, saw us crumble and nearly lose.

I don't remember anything that suddenly sparked their fans into life though- but spark into life they did!

As I said you need something to give you a lift do you really believe by singing a song or chant that would change the way the team play we need a manager that can do that

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thought the aging fanbase thing was fairly universal tbh- perhaps it's more a PL thing? By aging fan base, probably not put the best by me I'd say match going fans on average are perhaps older than they were 20-30 years ago.

Price of tickets, price of travel...it all adds up.

You mention away being loud- it definitely can be, but not always. Don't get away often (to say the least!) but found it hit and miss when I have.

That's what's good about the cheap under 12 season ticket prices. Fans for the future. My 2 will probably eventually go off with their pals and sing loud and offensive songs together!

?

9 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

As I said you need something to give you a lift do you really believe by singing a song or chant that would change the way the team play we need a manager that can do that

Helped Leeds against us back in February- actually it can get the team going. Positive vocal and consistent support really can help a side, lift morale etc.

What got Leeds fans going that day I don't know but it sure as hell helped.

Our football this season, hit and miss really. Performance 2nd half v Stoke was very decent, any complaints about our win at Brentford? Wins over Swansea and Blackburn were impressive for different reasons, we competed okay v Forest, dominated at Bolton- Sheffield United and Hull again for different reasons were hard fought yet fairly satisfying IMO especially the first one.

We undoubtedly impressed in defeat at WBA also.

Singing and jumping is a big drive for me at football. Football is about far more than the game, and there is so much more to be gained in terms of enjoyment by being proactive, rather than passive. Sadly this view, despite being shared by most fans worldwide, is not shared at Ashton Gate. There are few things more frustrating than being one of about twenty fans trying to get behind the team when we're losing, whilst the vast majority of those around me in S82 stand silent, arms crossed. Soul destroying. 

I'm very critical of the club and I no longer attend matches because of my views on how it is being run, but quite frankly I stopped enjoying myself a few seasons ago. In stead I save my money for a few trips into Europe to visit clubs where the decibels get above the dull drone of chit chat. 

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The age old debate eh.

As far as I recall, it was one person (or very small group of people) who started that chant and it grew steadily. It was incredible, my ears were ringing afterwards

10 hours ago, Leveller said:

On top of that, there are quite a few who seem more interested in looking at the opposition fans half the time, instead of the match, which I find bizarre, and seems to prove their real interest is in the fan rivalry ahead of the football. I can’t connect with that culture.

Christ. Don’t start me on those people. The w anchor sign people. 

2 hours ago, bengalcub said:

My 5 year old found his voice on Saturday and started shouting "come on city your better than this " much to the amusement of all around us , think we have a new chant starter In w9 ...

Love it!  I took my 5-year-old son to his first game against Sheff Weds and even  he was shouting out 'Come on City' by himself.  We can get them to sit together and leave them to it!

There have been a number of reasons put forward as to why the atmosphere at matches has changed over time. As pointed out above, there is a big shift in society at large over the generations and that carries over into the grounds. Stadia are now all-seater (at the higher levels), and a significant percentage are season tickets - meaning that the same people sit in the same seats all season. If they are strangers  it takes time to forge new friendships. Given that, there is a reluctance to return to the 'old atmosphere' (remember how people criticised the Emirates when Arsenal moved in?) whereas freely-moving fans can naturally congregate and that helps.

Another important factor is the cost: I believe that it is distinctly more expensive even when taking into account the effects of inflation and all that. Certainly, the clubs are taking in much more than ever at the turnstiles and shops, but there is also the suspicion that this has been deliberately engineered to exclude the poorest fans - presuming them to be the ones that cause more trouble. Football stands accused of engaging in a policy of gentrification.

As frequently mentioned in many threads, the age factor is inevitably in play. Us old duffers will recall how it used to be, whereas the younger fans have lived with their experiences. It does seem that the Baby Boomers are a different lot to the Millennials or the Play Station generation. Times, and attitudes, change. The '24/7 available everywhere' culture is surely showing the game in a different light and perhaps the appeal is lessened by comparison to the world-wide coverage. Values are comparative, making the 'real' matchday experience more susceptible to the draw of a prime international game on video.

But essentially, the atmosphere in a ground is down to everyone who is there. It can be a chicken-egg situation, but each can play their part. It shows who has the heart for it!

When the East End was still the East End (just), I was in there with a mate and we tried starting chants & songs, but many people near us looked bewildered. Sign of modern football, they were there just for the experience. :grr:

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 08:18, exAtyeoMax said:

I’m quite happy to join in, admittedly I don’t know the words to many of the songs but I think that’s the case of many around me in S21. “Eh, what they singing?”

We just need some better songs...hopefully without ‘you ****’ at the end

There have been some good suggestions on another thread, I can’t remember what they were unfortunately 

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 08:18, exAtyeoMax said:

Well said. I like joining in but not with **** language.

I remember going to West Brom v Liverpool years ago and standing at one end of the ground with the Liverpool fans. The singing from Liverpool fans was unbelievably good and the banter was so very funny and not a swear word to be heared.  It was worth the entrance money just to listen to it. Dalglish, Ray Kennedy etc were amazing that day. I guess the result helped the Liverpool fans in the singing as well. 5 - 0 to them that day. A day I will never forget.

On 31/10/2018 at 22:31, reddogkev said:

Why don't many large groups collectively sing during football matches anymore?  Is it a dying practice of being a football fan at a game?

I like to sing an anthem I'm familiar with if a fair few people already have it going, but I'll never start a song, and won't often join if it's just one or two people.

On the whole, I'll shout and cheer at the usual places, and scream 'Come on you Reds' here or there.  Normally, I'm happy to be quiet and watch the game, whilst waiting for a decent rousing song I can join in with.

What type of fan at the ground are you?  Do we still have the larger than life characters (like the legendary Kev Hardiman for example) who will think nothing of standing up and starting a city song going?  I often wonder if the extra cost of alcohol stops people creating a constant, passionate atmosphere like years gone by.

It is very simple.

We as humans respond to hierarchical needs. These needs shape our behaviour. Alter the way fans drink, stand, are managed, express themselves and swathes of supports behaviour has to, and will change.

An intent of the Taylor report was to alter the behaviour of supporters. The intent was to pacify supporters, and it has been achieved.

Probably an applicable article https://wizardsofdrivel.com/2018/09/17/support-as-performance-not-everything-is-a-mental/

This struck a chord with me: "All are equally valid ways of spending a Saturday afternoon, but when the way you support your club infringes on someone else’s support, it becomes a problem.". I've been watching football for over 40 years and I only realised this in the last 2. Better late than never .

I'm still one that sings their heart out for 90 minutes though.

14 hours ago, Cowshed said:

It is very simple.

We as humans respond to hierarchical needs. These needs shape our behaviour. Alter the way fans drink, stand, are managed, express themselves and swathes of supports behaviour has to, and will change.

An intent of the Taylor report was to alter the behaviour of supporters. The intent was to pacify supporters, and it has been achieved.

I guess that’s why they are reluctant to allow ‘safe standing’?

they wouldn’t want to encourage any rowdiness 

Archived