IGNORED

Bristol Handball Club

myol'man

I work with one of the first team players at Bristol Handball Club so I thought I'd give them a thread on OTIB to help spread the word.

Bristol Handball Club is an English Handball club based in Bristol, England and founded in 2006[1] and playing in EHA's League and Cup competitions. Although the teams train in Bristol at City Academy, they regularly play their "home" games at Wellington's Princess Royal Sports Complex and at House of Sport, Cardiff  due to a lack of facilities in Bristol.

Website;  https://www.bristolhandball.com/

Twitter; https://twitter.com/bristolhandball?lang=en

Facebook; https://www.facebook.com/BristolHC/

British handball's biggest problem is finding venues to play in rather than a lack of funding, according to the coach of one of its leading teams.

"We are really struggling to find venues to train and organise games in," said Puig Garcia.

"Obviously we can't just build a venue from scratch - that would cost millions."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/handball/45838031

A new venture for Bristol Sport in the Basketball arena maybe?

47 minutes ago, phantom said:

Very odd that there is not anywhere suitable to hose these games other than in Cardiff or Wellington

Surely the basketball court could be used?

No, a handball court is much bigger, and the few venues large enough don't have the court markings. 

https://www.englandhandball.com/news/bright-times-ahead-for-bristol?league=national-handball-league-south

After gaining promotion to the men’s National League South last season, Bristol Handball Club is going places.

Club President Mike Pacy says that once promotion was sealed, the club experienced a boost as many former players returned to the club, to such an extent it can now field two men’s teams.

He said: “Getting that promotion has given us a real drive, and got us lot of attention. From people who play handball; used to play handball; returning players coming back to the club; players who have been talking about joining us; one or two transfers from the university side; plus new people who have heard about it. So we’ve decided to register a second team. For the first time we have the numbers to fulfil that.”

Mike added: “In the proposal for Ashton Gate, although it’s primarily for the Bristol Flyers basketball, handball’s one of the named community sports in their proposal document alongside the more established boxing, netball and badminton. Seeing people mention handball in documents like that is quite a change.

“Hearing about an arena which is potentially around two years off is exciting for the future, and will allow the club to grow.”

Three games for the club this weekend. Here are your scores:
Regional League SW Men >> Bristol Spartans 15 - 24 Stroud
Regional League SW Women >> Bristol 28 - 26 Stroud
National League South >> Bristol 24 - 25 Carshalton
Well done to the women's team on their victory and to the players from all three teams on your efforts. 

Our league games for 2018 are complete as we head towards the new year. . In the National League South, although Carshalton have a game in hand, Bristol are the team at the top of the table, which is amazing for our newly promoted team.

hblt.JPG

Bristol Women's team and Bristol Spartans (mens 2nd's) play next Saturday (26/1/19) away at University of Bath, both in the regional league South West.

Bristol Men's team restart their season on Sunday 10th Feb. with a home!!! match in Wellington, in the National League South.

I used to play for Bristol Handball Club. Unfortunately it isn't a big venture for Bristol Sport really. I tried initiating this contact myself about eight years ago and there was zero interest. I realise Bristol Sport has grown immensely since then but Handball doesn't get audiences turn up for games, players pay subs to play for the team, the sport really has no audience in the UK.

They hope to be invited to play at the Arena but the cost for the club may outweigh the positives. Sure it'd be closer but the court is bigger than a basketball court and it just may not fit correctly. Plus the extra lines on the floor that'd need to be taped over by the Flyers for every home game to comply with BBL regulations. Then the only way to avoid that is to use removable floors and again, additional cost that the handball club couldn't afford.

Bristol Sport supporting the Handball club would unfortunately lose them money as the club itself wouldn't be able to pay their own way. The only way forwards is if Bristol Sport really want markings on the floor to support kids learning it in Bristol.

Archived