IGNORED

European Super League

MC RISK77

http://www.skysports.com/share/11543243

Inevitable really...the further slow death of the game likely to continue by the looks of it with a European Super League being discussed to happen as early as 2021. Arsenal have denied involvement but sure all 5 English clubs will deny this until it actually happens.

More allegations also around FFP and FIFA and its new leader Infantino, who looks another slimy and corrupt bastard.

why can’t they just leave the game alone.

UEFA just as bad as FIFA here to, seem to cover up FFP failings for the big clubs but go and make examples of the small clubs. 

The big story of course is the super league, which as you say is a slow death of football as a whole - not just club football, looks as if they’ll be able to withhold players from internationals to

56 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Inevitable really...the further slow death of the game likely to continue by the looks of it with a European Super League being discussed to happen as early as 2021. Arsenal have denied involvement but sure all 5 English clubs will deny this until it actually happens.

More allegations also around FFP and FIFA and its new leader Infantino, who looks another slimy and corrupt bastard.

Why?

Money & greed.

32 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I’m sure all the plastic fans will love this . Let them go. And when the novelty has worn off and they want to return. Stick them in non league. Modern football sucks ass 

I came here to say exactly this. 

Let them leave, but do not let them return. 

Make them ineligible for all competitions held under our FA. 

I think it actually would do wonders for our domestic game. 

Whichever platform gets the rights to the 'Super League' be it Sky, Amazon, BT etc I would like to see fans unite and cancel their subscriptions. This is an outrageous proposal that is purely about money. I read somewhere that the plan is for some clubs to be protected from relegation for 20 years! I agree 100% with those that say when it fails the elite clubs should have to start at non league and work their way back up.

I know I’m in the minority on this but will people actually pay to watch it or will it just be rammed down our throats like the premier was/is, until it’s swallowed?

I never watch premiership football, it had no relevance to me.

Why on earth would I pay to watch Lyon v Dortmund

2 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yee haa, bye bye  ?

7 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I know I’m in the minority on this but will people actually pay to watch it or will it just be rammed down our throats like the premier was/is, until it’s swallowed?

I never watch premiership football, it had no relevance to me.

Why on earth would I pay to watch Lyon v Dortmund

I never/very, very rarely watch premier league matches. 

I’ll catch the highlights, if I’m at home, but only if I’m staying up after the Mrs has gone to bed. 

I’m really not fussed about it. Then again, I rarely watch any games that don’t involve City. 

Didn’t the Prem say, some time ago when it was first mentioned, that teams joining a Euro league would not be allowed to compete in the Prem?

plus, most people enjoy the high tempo League games, I personally rarely watch Euro football, of any sort. I can actually see this causing a collapse of sorts. Depending how it effects leagues, and how Sky market it. If it costs more, many will give it up, if there is a split, the Prem deal will probably be renegotiated. All well and good proposing these things but the knock on effects could be game changing, literally.

39 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

I came here to say exactly this. 

Let them leave, but do not let them return. 

Make them ineligible for all competitions held under our FA. 

I think it actually would do wonders for our domestic game. 

Agreed. Would give all the other clubs something to play for other than survival in the Premier League or a cup run

It is inevitable this will one day happen, I know Big Tone among others has been calling for this for years!  The sooner the better.

It's basically the Champions League without some of the lesser clubs that usually clutter the group stages.

An interesting question if this league is created, is whether down the line the next big group of English clubs are either promoted or accepted in the 'Super' league.

The next step of the Americism of football, the "founding clubs" will be the "franchises" of the future.

Unless of course fans around Europe stand up and rebel. Think what the Spanish league would be without Real Madrid and Barcelona, or the Italien without Juventus, AC Milan and Roma? 

If this goes through, it won't return English football to the good old days many of us remember so fondly in this corporate world, the game has moved on. The immediate effect of the reduction in TV cash will be to put many clubs out of business, as their current financial plan will be in tatters, all excelerated by an exodus of foreign owners and reduction in transfer fees as sellers will exceed buyers.

Maybe the eventual English league, made up of the survivors of the cull will be better, with more sensible finances in terms of transfer fees and wages, or maybe not.

Personally i don't think it is enough to say, this doesn't affect City, so not bothered, it will, and every other professional club, so in my view I think a Europeon protest movement should be created to let the money men know what we all think.

34 minutes ago, Super said:

The rest of the clubs will certainly become a lot poorer. This could be bad news for a lot of clubs.

They will just have to spend less money!! It will also stop clubs like us posting losses over £20m chasing the apparent “dream”. In time it will put some sense into domestic football and as others have said if the Super League goes wrong it’s Step 5 for the big clubs and work your way back like Rangers had to in Scotland.

Just as the top flight broke away from the EFL nearly 25 years ago because they wanted more money and to keep the TV money for themselves, so it is inevitable that the likes of Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal will pull away from the league they were behind creating for even bigger money. Their hidden argument, just like with the formation of the Premier League, will be that they don't want to be effectively subsidising smaller clubs. 25 years ago those smaller clubs were the 3 divisions below the top flight. Now those smaller clubs are the 14 other clubs who live with them in the Premier and make megabucks due to the glamour of those big 6 being in the same league as them.

Man U etc will be thinking that it is a waste of energy playing the likes of Cardiff when they can be either playing one of the other big teams in the UK or the likes of PSG, Juventus, Real Madrid etc., etc. 

It is inevitable that it will happen, but it will make English football's top flight far more interesting albeit that the TV money will be greatly reduced.

Remember how the Champions League came about?

The authorities at the time managed to coax more money from the TV companies for coverage of the European Cup. That was for the league Champions of each country only.

Then certain clubs demanded they be allowed to compete in it every year regardless of their domestic league standing due to their history. The story goes that Arsenal, Man U, the big two in Spain, the big four in Italy and so forth then threatened to break away and form their own competition if UEFA did not create the Champions League.

A bit of firmness by UEFA and the domestic leagues could have stopped that. "OK, form your own league or cup, but you will then be banned from all competitions in your own country and any one who plays for you will be banned from joining any club outside your own competition".

I think a super league is inevitably gonna happen, but should be set up as a pyramid of promotion and relegation. I actually devised a system for this, whereby you’d have the super league at the top, 4 regional leagues the level below that, 15 at the third level and then the national leagues below that, with each division having 20 teams for a total of 400 in the pyramid.

It would work out that the ‘big 6’ would be in the super league, the rest of the premier league would play at level 2 and the championship clubs would play at level 3 (so, for example, City would play in the ‘English Channel League’ with teams from northern France and Belgium)

This way, every team will be playing at a standard where they could easily win/go up and equally get relegated within 2 or 3 seasons; every league would be conflicted.

It would of course be a change, but that’s the way football’s going, we can either except it and try and shape the game for the better, or we can be dragged kicking and screaming into the future and end up just letting the money men get their way.

It won't be a pyramid because the whole point is the big clubs grabbing more money from playing each other. They'll take the league to the Far East for a couple of rounds, North America a couple more. Would playing N European clubs put more bums on seats at AG than City v Leeds, for example? Unlikely IMO. Would French & Belgian clubs bring many fans or would we trot off over there? I suspect that in a couple of years it'll be Lampard's Chelsea taking part & Derby will have nicked LJ from us. 

No matter how good the competition is though, someone has to finish bottom of any league whether it's the Downs or a European Super League.

2 hours ago, FlintSaidNo said:

I think a super league is inevitably gonna happen, but should be set up as a pyramid of promotion and relegation. I actually devised a system for this, whereby you’d have the super league at the top, 4 regional leagues the level below that, 15 at the third level and then the national leagues below that, with each division having 20 teams for a total of 400 in the pyramid.

Some years ago Celtic & Rangers reasoned they needed stronger league competition to prepare them for European games. They then realised there is also a "big 2" in Portugal, Holland and a few other countries. There was a proposal to form "The Atlantic League" (yes, plans were so advanced, a name had been chosen), but UEFA stopped it then stating clubs can only play in their own country's league.

I can think of three immediate exceptions to this. Berwick is now in England, but they play in the Scottish League. Londonderry is in Northern Ireland, but for political reasons Derry City play in the Republic. Monaco is an independent state, but their one team plays in the French league.

Archived