IGNORED

Reading v Bristol City Match Day 16

Septic Peg

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

We're a mid table team, nothing more nothing less and with our spending etc thats where we should be. 

Didn't go today as I hate reading as an away day but looking at the stats it's one of those games where we could easily have got something out of it but they were more clinical. 

I think starting with Dasilva and hunt away from home leaves us too open, I'd have gone for Kelly for his defensive attitude.

On to next weekend... 

The thing is at what point should we begetting the getter of struggling teams? I know we got a decent windy Brentford but I’m struggling to see the nailed on mid table finish. 

We need to somehow keep beating top third teams if we’re going to struggle against bottom third ones.

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Would be my choice with what we've got too.

We don't have masses of advantages over other teams at this level, but what we do have is some very fast players compared to some sides. Let's utilise that speed. Be good to see Eisa on the bench too.

completely agree - when we want to move quickly, we are able. Often we frustratingly slow things down and Fammy is one of the main offenders. Im sure the other teams understand where our threat lies, of course they are delighted when we chose not to move it about quickly.

12 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

#Johnson out!!!

Come on...............the only way Johnson will get sacked is if a Sunday Paper photographs him having an orgy with a goat. He's here, so we will just have to put up with his tactical ineptitude and lack of any foresight for a long time yet. He's average and the football he produces [with odd exceptions] is also average. He really is quite fortunate to have a job in management.........but then he does talk a good game.?

Anyone else see that neither eliasson or hunt shook Paterson's hand but both made a point of shaking hands with kelly when subs were made?

Might be reading something into it that isn't there but did look a bit odd.

Other than that,  My God we need a decent striker or two.

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

The thing is at what point should we begetting the getter of struggling teams? I know we got a decent windy Brentford but I’m struggling to see the nailed on mid table finish. 

We need to somehow keep beating top third teams if we’re going to struggle against bottom third ones.

It's only one result tbh, we beat a struggling Hull side and then drew away to Bolton and Rotherham as well as today.

The league is so competitive that really anyone can beat anyone, league position currently doesn't show a lot imo

6 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

You know what? To hell with it, I'm with you. He gets the team selections wrong every week, he always picks players out of form, he takes us on extended losing runs, his recruitment is crap .. the only time his teams play well is when he is forced into making a change due to injury etc. He's done absolutely nothing to warrant being in charge of a second tier football club with ambitions of the top flight. Just a shame the board won't have to balls to get rid of him. 

I am by temperament a patient person but the complete absence of any clear playing strategy (what happened to a preferred style to be adopted by our teams at all levels?) and the confusion and inconsistency that leads to is rather damning for any coach.

I am sceptical about the alleged ambition though. SL and MA have been extemely cagey about their aims. I suspect the aim is to stay in the Championship and develop players to sell so as to stabilise the finances. LJ is safe as long as he delivers that much.

I can't read a lot of this end of the world bullshit. Yea we lost and that's pretty shit but when I read crap like we can't score, can't create chances etc after we have scored 2 goals and had 21 shots then those comments are laughable.

We went away and played like the home side, that's not an easy thing to do. 

To me it's very clear we are implementing a system, a system that takes time to learn. Whilst I'm disappointed to lose I am encouraged by some of our play today.

Listen we had a bit of bad luck today, it happens, time to move on and take the positives from the game.

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

I can't read a lot of this end of the world bullshit. Yea we lost and that's pretty shit but when I read crap like we can't score, can't create chances etc after we have scored 2 goals and had 21 shots then those comments are laughable.

To me it's very clear we are implementing a system, a system that takes time to learn. Whilst I'm disappointed to lose I am encouraged by some of our play today.

Listen we had a bit of bad luck today, it happens, time to move on and take the positives from the game.

You may be right but I can't see any sign of a system of play. If you can I'd be interested in your view as I am baffled. Much as the players seem to be.

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It's only one result tbh, we beat a struggling Hull side and then drew away to Bolton and Rotherham as well as today.

The league is so competitive that really anyone can beat anyone, league position currently doesn't show a lot imo

Lots of people say this and yet at the end the season will be a load of teams who lost a lot more games than others

We were always going to be woefully short of goals.

Wiemann is not going to get you 15+ goals a season - he never has, despite his profestations of all his previous managers playing him out of position!

We do play better without Fam in the side so discount him scoring many as he looks like a bloke who won a competition to be a footballer - his touch is truly diabolical.

Matty Taylor is not a Championship striker, he gets an easy ride on here because of his background AND he runs around a lot.

As for the bench, we have a lad who was playing 7 levels lower 2 seasons ago - I would be a major surprise if he made a difference.

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Implementing a system? He's been here for three years? Shouldn't that system be set in stone now? 

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I am not even sure he knows what the oppositions weaknesses are. It's all a bit of a guess, and I am starting to wonder again about how his understanding of the game. He can get it very right at times, but then he gets it so wrong others.

It’s my fault - I didn’t do a ‘What to expect’ thread, so he had nothing to go on.

Evening fellow Reds..... 

I'm a new member to this site and have followed City for many years and I'm sure today's result has made you all as mad as me but it's time to admit that LJ and his two hangers on will not take this club any further and all will be clear of how inept they are after the 1st of January..... #DNA ?

2 minutes ago, fanjita said:

I wouldn’t take that for granted 

Can't take anything for granted in football, we could end up as champions or we could not win a game for the rest of the season. 

However, going off of how we have started I can see us being solid mid table, just like where we are now

1 minute ago, BCFC Grim said:

Implementing a system? He's been here for three years? Shouldn't that system be set in stone now? 

You beat me to it !

@Up The City! how long does it take to implement a style, as @BCFC Grim says three years at the club, out of today’s squad only Pack from SC’s team, admittedly a couple who’ve come through the youth teams. 

35 minutes ago, city1983 said:

Defence has always been a problem since we’ve been back in the championship. Trouble is this season we’re struggling to score goals too. 

Big January this year because by then We’re going to be deep in the brown stuff I’m affraid

Imagine seeing the score line 3-2 and thinking defence isn't the problem in that match ?

18 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Can someone more qualified than me please explain why Diedhiou is still in the side? Can't trap a bag of sand.

Think usually he’d be our clinical finisher. Not loads of chances but will tuck it into the bottom corner. Hasn’t been in that form though and it seems LJ’s philosphy is to play out of form players until they are back in form. See this with Paterson too. Both just seem low on confidence. Though with FD almost seems he is disinterested anymore. I don’t know the context but he mentioned he still has contacts in Turkey and other clubs. Maybe he doesn’t fancy championship anymore. Vibe I have been getting lately. Even if our style changed when he came back into the side, his goals usually came. 

22 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

We're a mid table team, nothing more nothing less and with our spending etc thats where we should be. 

Didn't go today as I hate reading as an away day but looking at the stats it's one of those games where we could easily have got something out of it but they were more clinical. 

I think starting with Dasilva and hunt away from home leaves us too open, I'd have gone for Kelly for his defensive attitude.

On to next weekend... 

We're a mid to bottom of table side. The only way we are going with Johnson here is to the "R" scrap at the bottom.

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

We're a mid to bottom of table side. The only way we are going with Johnson here is to the "R" scrap at the bottom.

2wins in our last 4, can't see us being top 10 and nor do I see us in a relegation scrap. 

We don't have a bad enough side to be going down, one result doesn't change that

8 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

We were always going to be woefully short of goals.

Wiemann is not going to get you 15+ goals a season - he never has, despite his profestations of all his previous managers playing him out of position!

We do play better without Fam in the side so discount him scoring many as he looks like a bloke who won a competition to be a footballer - his touch is truly diabolical.

Matty Taylor is not a Championship striker, he gets an easy ride on here because of his background AND he runs around a lot.

As for the bench, we have a lad who was playing 7 levels lower 2 seasons ago - I would be a major surprise if he made a difference.

Me and you don’t usually see eye to eye but this I agree with. Though I’d like to see what Eisa can do but only because our other 3 strikers don’t seem like scroing. We just don’t have good strikers and we do create chances and yet it was two midfielders who scored today. Defense been much better this season but has been taking 20-30 minutes or a goal to get our forward players up and running. It is worrying

Very very poor Mr Johnson. Question is will Mr Lansdown back him in January; he needs to otherwise its another season of 'progress'; that word is spouted so much on here its almost become a religious parable and, therefore, fact.

p.s. I don't want progress under that definition and neither does the owner; every season missed costs him hundreds of millions. Who blinks first then.

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think usually he’d be our clinical finisher. Not loads of chances but will tuck it into the bottom corner. Hasn’t been in that form though and it seems LJ’s philosphy is to play out of form players until they are back in form. See this with Paterson too. Both just seem low on confidence. Though with FD almost seems he is disinterested anymore. I don’t know the context but he mentioned he still has contacts in Turkey and other clubs. Maybe he doesn’t fancy championship anymore. Vibe I have been getting lately. Even if our style changed when he came back into the side, his goals usually came. 

Stinker today by all accounts, but thought Fammy played well against Stoke.

Archived