IGNORED

Simple question...

PFree

And I think this might be why the fans appear somewhat split - do you feel there's any form of 'buzz' about the club as things stand?

It's important because when you do feel strong progress is being made and that you are somewhat excited by going to watch the City, most positive things revolve around it.

For me, I've been a fan for over 30 years and a ST holder for most of that, but at the moment, I don't feel anything. Okay, we have a great Chairman to whom I am thankful, the stadium and the training facilities bode well for our future.

On the playing side, I don't feel we are progressing, the football isn't at all attractive and whilst we have some decent players, we certainly don't have a team - the fact we play a different starting eleven every week says a great deal. The "we'll go away and study the game and learn from it" comments are starting to drive me mad - we might be close to the play off positions but for me that's a false position as we have scraped through games without dominating, I expect us to finish below our final position last season.

Again, only my opinion but I can't help feel we can get more from these players whilst also playing more attractive, attacking football. I also can't help feel that better players will not join us in January, for me, why would they.

On the non-playing side we have a long overdue strategy that is grounds for being positive.

On the playing side there is no longer any sign of a consistent strategy. Which blunts my enthusiasm somewhat as I have no idea where we are heading.

If LJ does it would help if he spoke about it. Perhaps it's time for another fans night and a presentation from the coaches?

I think there is a buzz on match day, at the ground and amongst the players. Also, it appears that the wider football world of pundits that know or have watched City seem impressed with the set up and what LJ/SL are trying to achieve.....on OTIB though it would say it's the complete opposite after just one bad result.

4 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I think there is a buzz on match day, at the ground and amongst the players. Also, it appears that the wider football world of pundits that know or have watched City seem impressed with the set up and what LJ/SL are trying to achieve.....on OTIB though it would say it's the complete opposite after just one bad result.

The wider world and pundits don’t watch city every week the buzz would be gone pretty quickly if they did

10 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I'm not sure that there is. A general hubbub of fans, decent attendance but not much excitement. Pundits etc only really talk about the set up/stadium/development and what SL/LJ are striving for…they don't talk about the football

The problem is that the 20k plus crowds will start to drop off if we keep serving up the same on the pitch as we have been recently.

After the second part of last season, I thought twice before renewing my season card. Next seasons decision will be an easier one for me unless there is significant improvement.

Whether I will continue my BCTV subscription, I'm not sure.

I think there will have to be a few ins and outs in the January window to freshen things up.

1 hour ago, Loco Rojo said:

How do you know there is a buzz amongst the players on match day? Fair play if you have access to our dressing room....

On another thread I mentioned about how I pick and choose games to come to these days, for various reasons. That means I don't get the full picture like ST holders do, but also means that I still get and feel a 'buzz' whenever I return to AG for a match. However, what was apparent in the most recent match I saw (Hull at home) was that we seem to lack a real identity on the pitch? It's like we don't really know what our defining style of play should be. Sure, we can (at times) play it around the park and look very good at doing it. But we lack the ability to play an expansive pass and really stretch the opposition. We also look very naïve in defence, particularly when facing pacey players. 

In a nutshell, it looks to me like until we define a system that we are sticking to and stick two fingers up to 'matching up' the opposition, we will always be prone to inconsistency on the pitch in terms of both individual and team performances, which is reflected in our league position. 

Look at Cardiff last season - yes, they played brutish and frugal football last year, but they didn't adapt their style to match any other team in the league. They knew what they wanted to be, how they wanted to play and they stuck to it. 

26 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Used to love the Eastend but fallen out of going every week lately.  Sat in the Lansdown admiring the new facilities during the first half of the Stoke game thinking wtf am I doing here sat in silence watching poncey nothing football.

No buzz for me at the moment.

This. Missed so many games over the last few seasons due to work commitments and haven't missed it. It's all aimed at a nice family day out. Dare look to create an atmosphere and you're looked at like an idiot. If you're in S82 you're treated like a thug. Add the poor football into it and it's just become boring. Still look to go if I can, but out of habbit rather than enjoyment.

Inconsistent has to be the word of the season so far.

We can do great stuff, but overall we don't look great, and we're a million miles away from being able to mount a challenge.

I was in the office yesterday, following the game by the matchday thread on here. As soon as I saw people at the ground saying they were expecting a win, I knew we'd lose. City just can't land the sucker punches against soft targets.

I'm undecided if Johnson has to go to break the mediocrity, but the OP is right. There's no buzz at the moment.

21 minutes ago, Tiree said:

There is less buzz at Man City than there was 2,4,6,8 and even 20 years ago when they were crap. Old Trafford has piped music for atmosphere....

Clubs aren’t allowed to play music during games......or you may be referring to the myth about Man Utd playing recorded chants....it isn’t true. Man Utd brought in acoustic experts to see how the atmosphere at Old Trafford could be improved, but it never involved ‘piping’ anything into the stadium...lots of ill-informed spoutings on here....

I've been attending Ashton Gate regularly apart from my playing days for over 60 years. I've seen a fair few ups and downs over those years but now, and it might well be my age, I feel little enthusiasm when match day comes around. Yes I will still buy my ST and I am proud of the facilities we now have at our disposal and I will keep coming as long as I am physically able, but matchday buzz, nah, not for me. The last time I was excited about attending was during the SC years when we looked like world beaters albeit in a lower league. To me we look more like carpet beaters now.  We have not really clicked at all this season and I think we are in a false position at the present but the Championship looks wide open this year and anything could happen. But for me there is certainly no match day buzz, sorry.

We was great going forward last season and very pleasant on the eye . Defensively we was dodgy. Great games at Ashton and a cup run we could only dream of . Buzzing times . This season we’ve sold our best players and are not entertainers or very entertaining to watch . I feel sorry for LJ losing these players and that for me is why where not pleasing on the eye, if we tried this way with the players we have we would be relegated . The buzz from last season has gone , lost momentum as we did when promoted to the Championship with no signings . 

Is LJ the man to take us forward...

1 hour ago, shelts said:

We was great going forward last season and very pleasant on the eye . Defensively we was dodgy. Great games at Ashton and a cup run we could only dream of . Buzzing times . This season we’ve sold our best players and are not entertainers or very entertaining to watch . I feel sorry for LJ losing these players and that for me is why where not pleasing on the eye, if we tried this way with the players we have we would be relegated . The buzz from last season has gone , lost momentum as we did when promoted to the Championship with no signings . 

Is LJ the man to take us forward...

We only lost 3 players, and Kalas, Webster and Kelly are capable of pretty much filling that loss. We have signed so many players over the last 3 seasons there is zero reason for us to have so few options and a team playing as though they don't know our game plan/style.

This is the lowest I've felt as a city fan in over 25 years. I've not been to a home game since Burton home last season (0-0). I did 3 away games last season but have none planned so far this year, perhaps 3rd round fa cup depending on opponents. 

I'll tell you what is bringing it down is the LJ divide. Irrespective of what side you are on, LJ has a habit of proving you are right 50% of the time. 

I have zero enthusiasm about returning to the gate any time soon. 

29 minutes ago, Fiale said:

We only lost 3 players, and Kalas, Webster and Kelly are capable of pretty much filling that loss. We have signed so many players over the last 3 seasons there is zero reason for us to have so few options and a team playing as though they don't know our game plan/style.

Three big players who massively influenced the way we used to play . This season is a far cry from the way we played last year, inevitable really 

18 minutes ago, shelts said:

Three big players who massively influenced the way we used to play . This season is a far cry from the way we played last year, inevitable really 

Webster - I’ve been really impressed by so far

Kalas - decent, but not been as impressed as lots on here.

Kelly - doing well for a 19/20 year old, but we need to be careful not to get carried away, and give him time to mature.

Definitely no buzz for me. I had to look up who we were playing yesterday earlier in the week.

You only have to go back 10 months though and we were all buzzing off our tits about what the future might hold. Near the top of the Championship and a League Cup semi-final. 

Yet again under SL's stewardship though, for whatever reason, we failed to build on the momentum we had. Same in 2008 under GJ and same in 2015 under SC after promotion from L1. Until he decides to take his foot off the brake peddle and move us up into fifth gear we'll remain a sorry example of footballing underachievement. 

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Webster - I’ve been really impressed by so far

Kalas - decent, but not been as impressed as lots on here.

Kelly - doing well for a 19/20 year old, but we need to be careful not to get carried away, and give him time to mature.

What’s your point ?

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Definitely no buzz for me. I had to look up who we were playing yesterday earlier in the week.

You only have to go back 10 months though and we were all buzzing off our tits about what the future might hold. Near the top of the Championship and a League Cup semi-final. 

Yet again under SL's stewardship though, for whatever reason, we failed to build on the momentum we had. Same in 2008 under GJ and same in 2015 under SC after promotion from L1. Until he decides to take his foot off the brake peddle and move us up into fifth gear we'll remain a sorry example of footballing underachievement. 

I think he (SL) left the handbrake off in January....and had to quickly re-apply it in the summer. ?

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

What’s your point ?

Dunno really. ?

Guess that as individuals, Webster has kinda replaced Flint (open to debate).  Kelly has replaced Bryan defensively (open to debate).  I did think Weimann had replaced Reid (open to debate) too.

Effin’ bonkers being a city fan.  I just can’t work it out, hence my completely non-thought out reply! ? ?

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I don’t look forward to games like I used to as I’m not too keen on our style , mitigating circumstances possibly , two steps forward last season and so far two back !!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Dunno really. ?

Guess that as individuals, Webster has kinda replaced Flint (open to debate).  Kelly has replaced Bryan defensively (open to debate).  I did think Weimann had replaced Reid (open to debate) too.

Effin’ bonkers being a city fan.  I just can’t work it out, hence my completely non-thought out reply! ? ?

I think Webster is getting better with each game and I’m impressed now he’s settled in . Kelly learning still and will make mistakes as we’ve seen , for me he has the potential to be our best ever academy player. Weimann would be a good player only from the bench or a start if desperate!!

Gutted LJ had to sell but inevitable with our mounting debts , he obviously feels we can’t play the same way as last year with the players we have at present . All the buzz from last season a distant memory. I understand as a club we are trying to become an established Championship club 

Take my advice, only go to 1 game a month, then you do have the buzz for that match.  If I was going to watch every game I'd be bored sh*tless.  Football in general is a lot more carp these days, far too much tactical awareness, possession at all costs, and defensive football has changed the game for the worse as a spectacle.  When I started watching in the 90's, it was blood and thunder sort of stuff.

On the Kalas front, has he regressed or something- injury related?

Because a player who in 15/16 played his part in Boro going up, 16/17 helped get Fulham into the playoffs and 17/18 helped get Fulham into the playoffs and up- started off superbly, now seems less so.

@Kid in the Riot

How do you recommend SL does this, while keeping within allowable financial parameters?

Archived