IGNORED

Music on your PC

Markman

Ok - I have an I Tunes Library - and my mates and I swap a fair bit of music by CD or cruiser blade.  When I do this I drop the music in a folder on my desktop and then import into I Tunes

Today I thought I would tidy my desktop up so created a folder called music and dropped  all the other music folders downloaded into it

All of a sudden loads of my songs would not play as I Tunes could not "locate the file source" - is there a way around this (I put some back as folders on the desktop and they played ok)

1 hour ago, Markman said:

Ok - I have an I Tunes Library - and my mates and I swap a fair bit of music by CD or cruiser blade.  When I do this I drop the music in a folder on my desktop and then import into I Tunes

Today I thought I would tidy my desktop up so created a folder called music and dropped  all the other music folders downloaded into it

All of a sudden loads of my songs would not play as I Tunes could not "locate the file source" - is there a way around this (I put some back as folders on the desktop and they played ok)

Most music players (iTunes included) have a "library" file which is a database of all your songs and for each one there is a filename i.e. "c:\users\Markman\desktop\music\Spice Girls\...mp3"

You move where the files live and it gets confused.  You can usually fix it by telling it about the new location for the music folder somewhere in the preferences menu.  It might not be clever enough to relink the files though (it might create duplicate entries).

For this reason you might be better off actually moving the folder location from within the player using an option in the preferences, and it should move the files and keep the links working.  I have no idea if iTunes can cope with that though, not used it in a while.

As music players go that is one of the worst available - if you're on a windows PC I'd recommend trying Media Monkey.

On 04/11/2018 at 18:19, WhistleHappy said:

Sounds like this could be a question for you @JulieH ?    (PC) 

… bet you listen to old stuff by Sting, and a bit of Elvis, Jailhouse Rock.. and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you know Who Shot The Sheriff (but haven't got enough evidence to charge) plus a few tracks by Arrested Development of course.. :) 

They'll give you a crime number and say they'll be round in a couple of weeks !:cool:

On 04/11/2018 at 17:31, Markman said:

Have you called supporter services?

Try to play a song and it should say can’t find file blablabla ‘Locate missing file’. 

Click that and find the new place the song is kept and it’ll say ‘something something try this location for other missing files.’

Click yes and it should automatically find all the other music.

1 hour ago, Unan said:

Try to play a song and it should say can’t find file blablabla ‘Locate missing file’. 

Click that and find the new place the song is kept and it’ll say ‘something something try this location for other missing files.’

Click yes and it should automatically find all the other music.

thanks - it does give that message - but never got to the next stage or it tells me unable to find - I will try though ta

I’ve had similar when moved all my music off the laptop and onto an external hard drive to free up laptop hard drive space.

It was a few years ago when I did that but easiest way was to remove everything from my iTunes library and reimport the lot. All 18k songs. Takes a bit of time but everything plays again. You might lose any playlists you’ve got set up as would not put the songs back in that were already in them. 

There may be an easier way than the above method. Perhaps try a google search and see if any one else has had more success?

Archived