IGNORED

Korey Smith New Deal

REDOXO

12 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Wheat does he bring that we are missing? He doesn’t score goals nor does he create them.

He has the heart of a lion granted and of course leads by example but techinally I’m struggling to think of a worse player in the squad. Korey was a great asset but for me falls short of the quality required at this level, especially if he can’t get up to speed after his injuries.

Whatever he’s got we are missing it. Pack is a poorer player without him for one. Tends to be able to get games by the scruff of the neck and drive the team on, in his own not overly aggressive way. Has a calming influence but gets the job done, hard for me to explain butvwe dont have another like him, as effective towards the team. A different sort of Captain figure. 

3 hours ago, Dredd said:

Bringing it back to the contract for a second, anyone else confused with it only being a one year extension? So he was OOC next summer, now he’s OOC the summer after and in 12m we have to look at it again. 

Is this the club protecting themselves with a player who has had a reasonable amount of injuries over the last couple of years.

Or is it Korey looking at some of his team mates moving on and knowing that he will still be in a strong bargaining position in 12 months time. 

Gregor McGregor is gonna try and find out if there is a year option, as someone on twitter (possibly you?) said the exact same thing about only a year.

3 hours ago, glen humphries said:

Got a nasty feeling Callum will run his contract down.

Think he will too.

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

So if a player doesnt score or assist he is worthless? 

Where have I said that? 

A lot of teams need players that have different strengths or qualities other than scoring goals. As I have said Korey does have the heart of a lion but for me he’s short at this level. Especially if you want to progress in an ever improving league.

I have always liked Korey, can’t ever fault his commitment or desire but looking at it without any sentiment I struggle to see what he offers us long term now.

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

Whatever he’s got we are missing it. Pack is a poorer player without him for one. Tends to be able to get games by the scruff of the neck and drive the team on, in his own not overly aggressive way. Has a calming influence but gets the job done, hard for me to explain butvwe dont have another like him, as effective towards the team. A different sort of Captain figure. 

I don’t buy that all. Brownhill & Pack work well together. Brownhill has Korey’s drive and tenacity but with the extra quality. 

I do agree that Korey leads by example and does bring a drive about the team but I don’t think that’s what we lack as such

30 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

You really think Korey is our worst technial player? He is very good on the ball. First touch excellent, holds players off with his strength. He's very neat and tidy in our build up play. And then you think of his strengths without the ball, he's a very good championship midfielder imo.

I do mate I’m afraid. Apart from say maybe Bailey Wright are there many others you wouldn’t want the ball falling to in a crucial area of the pitch over Korey? I’ve lost count of the times he gets into great areas then over hits or under hits a simple pass or through ball etc.

I will forever love the bloke for his part in the double winning season & of course that goal against United but I personally think his style is limited at this level.

4 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Is it great news though? Don’t get me wrong Korey has been a great servant but as a central midfielder at this level he is very limited now.

He's the best cm in our club.

A consistent performer and a great servant I for one am delighted korey  is staying .

2 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

I do mate I’m afraid. Apart from say maybe Bailey Wright are there many others you wouldn’t want the ball falling to in a crucial area of the pitch over Korey? I’ve lost count of the times he gets into great areas then over hits or under hits a simple pass or through ball etc.

I will forever love the bloke for his part in the double winning season & of course that goal against United but I personally think his style is limited at this level.

Fell to him against United and that ended quite well.  He is our best midfielder and perfect for our formation and what LJ wants.

You think Marley Watkins is different class and a future Prem player so I will take your views with that in mind!

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

Fell to him against United and that ended quite well.  He is our best midfielder and perfect for our formation and what LJ wants.

You think Marley Watkins is different class and a future Prem player so I will take your views with that in mind!

Our best midfielder? What does he do that’s so perfect? I’m genuinely intrigued? This is a forum for debate...you haven’t offered any constructive debate in either quote. Easy to shut others opinions down and not back up your own.

We aren’t in L1 anymore fella. Also I’m not sure LJ himself knows what he wants. 

Im sorry mate but I think you have your wires crossed. I think Ollie Watkins is different class & a future prem player as I stated. As for Marley Watkins, you or I probably have more chance of playing in the premier league.

I completely agree 

9 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Our best midfielder? What does he do that’s so perfect? I’m genuinely intrigued? This is a forum for debate...you haven’t offered any constructive debate in either quote. Easy to shut others opinions down and not back up your own.

We aren’t in L1 anymore fella. Also I’m not sure LJ himself knows what he wants. 

Im sorry mate but I think you have your wires crossed. I think Ollie Watkins is different class & a future prem player as I stated. As for Marley Watkins, you or I probably have more chance of playing in the premier league.

I can only echo these comments. I’m forever grateful to Korey for his efforts helping us get promoted but at Champs level he’s been found out. 

I’m very surprised he’s bagged a years extension.

He’s weighed in with one league goal in 148 appearances and whilst you may say ‘well he’s a holding midfielder’ for me at this level you need more pace and forward drive. 

He will never take us to the next level.

18 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

15 hours ago, RedDave said:

I've read through that a few times and I've not found the bit where he mentions Marley Watkins. in fairness.

Can't imagine anyone is gonna come to that conclusion, surely

But bad, just saw it. apologies

39 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I've read through that a few times and I've not found the bit where he mentions Marley Watkins. in fairness.

Can't imagine anyone is gonna come to that conclusion, surely

But bad, just saw it. apologies

I mentioned Ollie Watkins in the ‘Ollie Watkins’ thread as having the potential to play in the prem.

I can only assume Dangerous Dave has read this incorrectly thinking I’m referring to Marley.

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 20:51, RedM said:

How did he sign that, he’s been holidaying in Dubai for a couple of weeks?! :laugh:

I guess it means we have every confidence of this long injury healing fully and we will be eventually be getting a good, fit Korey back? Heck of a gamble though? 

I spoke to Korey this week. He's back in the gym and reckons he'll be back on the pitch end of Dec/early Jan.

On 05/11/2018 at 16:24, bengalcub said:

He's the best cm in our club.

A consistent performer and a great servant I for one am delighted korey  is staying .

hes bang average, not a patch on brownhill or pak, he does not score and creates little, he does throw in a tackle and has a good engine and a decent organiser.

he was very poor last 20 games of last season and i lost count how many passes he did not complete during that period.

hes usefull but we need a new one, we have had 2 seasons being in a relegation fight with korey a decent first 5 months last term but slipped back into being inafective.

time for a new midfield talisman.

Archived