IGNORED

Wayne Rooney to make England appearance

wendyredredrobin

If this is true, it is utter crap and makes a total mockery of the England football team.  Rooney has connections and contacts at a (very) high level and this is the reason why it is happening.

If Southgate has selected him, he should be sacked.  If he has been pressured into selecting him then he probably ought to resign.

This makes a total mockery of the value of an England cap and this particular game.

Not that I have any problems with Rooney as an ex footballer.  He was decent enough in his day, though his off the pitch activities were questionable (the published ones and those the general public may not be aware of).  wasn't he also involved in one of those dubious tax avoidance scams?

I always thought Soutgate was a decent bloke too, though his abilities as a football manager are questionable.

A complete amd utter joke in my view.

Just honouring a player who is an England great. 

Netherlands gave Sneijder a send off. 

Australia gave Tim Cahill one

Germany gave Podolski one. 

Granted they were still around the squad, but Rooney is playing well currently, and it’s a meaningless friendly. 

Like myself, I’m sure there are many fans who are too young to remember the 90’s properly, Rooney is the best player we’ve had in the period that I’ve watched. 

Neville has it spot on. 

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

This makes a total mockery of the value of an England cap and this particular game.

Friendlies did this a long time ago.

Players get caps for barely playing nowadays (martin Kelly got his only england cap for 2 offical minutes against norway) so don't see how giving one more to one of our more decorated players is an issue.

Gives people a chance to see one of England’s greats one last time and raises some money for charity. Don't see the problem really. 

19 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Friendlies did this a long time ago.

Players get caps for barely playing nowadays (martin Kelly got his only england cap for 2 offical minutes against norway) so don't see how giving one more to one of our more decorated players is an issue.

Gives people a chance to see one of England’s greats one last time and raises some money for charity. Don't see the problem really. 

I'm not really that bothered about seeing him one last time.

If it was a competitive fixture, I'd understand. But at the end of the day, he's likely to be filling Danny Welbeck's place in the squad and who hasn't moaned about him being included in the past.. 

He's England's all time top goalscorer and it's going to raise a bit of money for charity. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to watch the friendly to start with but I probably will now. 

Also messed about with other women, but his wife took him back, got banned from driving for 2 years for being 3 times over the drink driving limit, but does his driving ban apply in the USA? Any fine would not even make the slightest dent in  his wealth and does anyone know what his community servive involved.

I can forgive him for tax avoidance, as I guess he was advised that the scheme was perfectly legal and I doubt that his financial knowledge is that great.

• Admin

If they want to hold a testimonial form him then fair enough, but don't dress it up as part of an England fixture

When I first heard about this I assumed we were playing in America hence him playing as he was currently out there

Personally would prefer someone else getting game time that would actually benefit from it

I've defended Rooney on here in the past as I think some of the criticisms levelled at him are unfair, but I have to say I think next week's call up is a step too far (although criticism should be aimed at whoever decided to call him up).

I was in Gelsenkirchen when his loss of temper cost us so dearly in the quarter final against Portugal, in Zagreb when he flicked the V-sign at England fans (sadly not V for victory that night), in Cape Town when he criticised England fans who had travelled thousands of miles to support the team in 2010, and in Podgorica in 2011 when another loss of temper meant he was banned for the first two games of Euro 2012. Next week's call up just doesn't sit well with me.

• Admin
21 minutes ago, North London Red said:

.....but I have to say I think next week's call up is a step too far (although criticism should be aimed at whoever decided to call him up).

But he wouldn't be the first person to be called up to say "No thanks"

I see his charity is benefiting from the evening too

Nothing at all wrong with honouring our record goalscorer. Wow I bet you all loved it when we done it for Carey!

What's his off field actions got to do with it? Should we ban every player from playing if they've had an affair and their wife has taken them back?

England's finest ever goalscorer. ROONEY, ROONEY.

• Admin
46 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Nothing at all wrong with honouring our record goalscorer. Wow I bet you all loved it when we done it for Carey!

What's his off field actions got to do with it? Should we ban every player from playing if they've had an affair and their wife has taken them back?

England's finest ever goalscorer. ROONEY, ROONEY.

How about the fact HE decided to retire from representing his country?

If he wants a farewell match, give him a testimonial

BTW Carey was still playing for us when he got the record

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

Besides the wrongs and rights of it surely a proper testimonial/charity/all-stars game would benefit his charity more and and make it proper way to honour him? 

As I understand it his appearance time will be minimal and it smacks of an after thought, perhaps as ticket sales were rumoured to be low.

By all means honour him, but why not do it properly? This half baked way seems to downgrade Rooney as well as the England set up. 

Think the FA need to make better decisions as a governing body. 

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

So what if he retired? Probably got fed up trying to carry a crap team. Yeah Carey was still attending Bcfc at the time, it was a few years earlier he went chasing the money.

• Admin
14 minutes ago, frenchred said:

So what if he retired? Probably got fed up trying to carry a crap team. Yeah Carey was still attending Bcfc at the time, it was a few years earlier he went chasing the money.

He made the decision he didn't want to represent his country again, but dangle the carrot of raising some money and putting him back in the shop window for a January loan move, he's suddenly interested in playing for us again

As for Louis, that was called 'ambition'

49 minutes ago, phantom said:

He made the decision he didn't want to represent his country again, but dangle the carrot of raising some money and putting him back in the shop window for a January loan move, he's suddenly interested in playing for us again

Ambition!! Do me a favour, he threw his toys out the pram when he didn't get paid what he wanted. Soon came back when he found he couldn't hack it!

9 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Ambition!! Do me a favour, he threw his toys out the pram when he didn't get paid what he wanted. Soon came back when he found he couldn't hack it!

Course it was ambition, a club in the league above just after we'd missed out in the play offs to Brighton. 

I've never understood a lot of the stick he's received for making that move. 

Think it’s a great idea,People say he was overrated.. When he came on the scene he was quality as he didn’t give a shit what people thought he used to put his foot in and fight for everything , The problem was when the press and his managers started to get him to him he act to act like this or like that as he was a role model he lost that bite which was one of his qualities,This would only happen in England in other countries they would accept they had a special player and let him be faults and all, either way his name will still be talked about for the next 100 years weather the haters like it or not.

4 hours ago, phantom said:

He is raising money for charity in exchange for a cap look at the bigger picture, that would not be raised without the game being played.

you really think he needs to be put in the shop window for a January loan move? He’s not a squad player at Aldershot.....

I think alot more people would be ok if he had organised a game himself for his charity, a World XI vs USA or something similar. The fact is, he retired from international football because he could see he wasn't being selected and outside of the UK, he isn't known or recognised. Hence his relative anonimity in the US.

Archived