IGNORED

YouGov most popular sports teams

devoncider

While a lot of that poll is clearly questionable, Barcelona's popularity doesn't surprise me entirely- locality means a lot less to the younger generation, have at least 3 fans of the Spanish big 2 at my work...that said they are from Spain.

Globalisation has opened it all up so there's a lot more who support sides- and this is a worldwide trend- not just from their own country i.e. Man U fan from anywhere, but from the world.

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

While a lot of that poll is clearly questionable, Barcelona's popularity doesn't surprise me entirely- locality means a lot less to the younger generation, have at least 3 fans of the Spanish big 2 at my work...that said they are from Spain.

Globalisation has opened it all up so there's a lot more who support sides- and this is a worldwide trend- not just from their own country i.e. Man U fan from anywhere, but from the world.

I'd also add that being a fan of the player, rather than a team specifically is more of a thing now, most commonly with Messi and Ronaldo.

59 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'd also add that being a fan of the player, rather than a team specifically is more of a thing now, most commonly with Messi and Ronaldo.

Correct- good point.

I remember at university, something rather unusual and amusing- someone I knew didn't much like football- but he did follow/support a player...

...Er, Aaron McLean would you believe!? ?

On the theme of foreign sides, and sides other than City there are I'm sure- UK, foreign or both sides we all admire. For example quite a few I have respect for abroad for various reasons, and soft spot here though harder here given we may play them, but none would ever supersede City.

Barcelona may have attracted it not only for their success but also their unbelievable football for about 5 years, the fact they had no sponsor on their shirt and then UNICEF- sadly now money has spoken and Qatar I think on their shirts now?

Plus the fact- well the Class of 92 was a great generation indeed, but that Barcelona was something else- so many academy players and even managed by a former player who had come through their academy and up through Barcelona C upwards in the form of Pep! Plus a mark of their quality was the fact a large chunk of that side dominated International football too. That combination gets the admiration of many neutrals I reckon and in 2018 looking at world football now, don't think we'll see their like again- so much pressure to win yesterday that big money signings who must start scoring from day 1 the new way of things at that level!

8 minutes ago, GoodridgeandGoater said:

If you take out the 12 non-English clubs above us in the survey, that makes Bristol City the 46th most popular club in England. If translated into league standings that would put us in the top two of the third tier, which is somewhere (I think) close to our historic average league position...it all makes sense! 

Until you try to explain away York City.

33 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

What a load of rubbish. What is You.Gov doing, wasting public funds on such as this. How relevant is it to the running of the country?

I am not 100% on this, but I do not believe they are funded by the taxpayer, I think they are a private company

Archived