IGNORED

Frank Lampard's Sheffield derby

Owl Visiting

Kick off: 19:45 Friday, Sky Sports

Venue: The Stain

Form:

? Blunts - WLDWL

? Owls - WLLLL

Dreading this to be honest. Wednesday have been diabolical recently, a 4-0 home defeat to Norwich on Saturday was our worst result in a long time. The chairman had to be dragged away from abusive fans after the game during an argument over team selection and the current manager.

A handful of our senior players haven't been in any of our squads this season, which the manager puts down to "past injuries". Many Wednesday fans believe however that we are leaving these players out to avoid having to pay appearance fees, bonuses etc.

Fingers crossed we can somehow scrape a point, but with them flying high at the top it seems very unlikely.

7 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Its a derby anything can happen, hope you stuff them mate, can't stand them.

Hope so, in some ways it's better going into it as the underdogs as there's less pressure and expectation. 

In fairness to them they're doing fantastic, Wilder has turned them into a really good side without spending anything. Its unfortunate from a Wednesday point of view as although many wouldn't admit it, their current success magnifies our problems. 

35 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Form:

? Blunts - WLDWL

? Owls - WLLLL

Dreading this to be honest. Wednesday have been diabolical recently, a 4-0 home defeat to Norwich on Saturday was our worst result in a long time. The chairman had to be dragged away from abusive fans after the game during an argument over team selection and the current manager.

A handful of our senior players haven't been in any of our squads this season, which the manager puts down to "past injuries". Many Wednesday fans believe however that we are leaving these players out to avoid having to pay appearance fees, bonuses etc.

Fingers crossed we can somehow scrape a point, but with them flying high at the top it seems very unlikely.

I have a certain sympathy with you but your club gambled and is paying the consequences.

Now stuff the blunts, bring them down a notch.

4 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Hope so, in some ways it's better going into it as the underdogs as there's less pressure and expectation. 

In fairness to them they're doing fantastic, Wilder has turned them into a really good side without spending anything. Its unfortunate from a Wednesday point of view as although many wouldn't admit it, their current success magnifies our problems. 

I’m afraid I feel you may be in for disappointment this weekend owl, the Blades look a really decent outfit while you’re mob are struggling since you beat us, a shame because the two sets of fans in Sheffield are like chalk and cheese, they have some truly numpty supporters

28 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Form:

? Blunts - WLDWL

? Owls - WLLLL

All the best mate, I hope the Owls prevail....I used to feel sick from the moment I woke up on derby day in Bristol.....but those days are long, long gone....doubt we’ll ever play that mob again in a league game. I, for one, will never join in with a chant of “Just like Bristol, your city is red...” aimed at Wednesday fans.

At least in Sheffield you have two big clubs who both attract amazing support. In our sizeable metropolis we have a smallish club and a tiny, insignificant one....our club can attract decent support when we are doing ok, but as for that annoying ‘little nephew’ up the road....they think they have massive support but they don’t know what five figures looks like in an attendance figure context, and they’d have to have seriously long memories to recall an era when they needed five figures to record a crowd.

‘Two club’ cities are great for the banter at work, in the pub, in the streets etc and it’s pretty much seven days a week in Bristol. Clubs like Newcastle, Pompey, Norwich etc may be bigger than us, but they are missing out on the immediate, in your face, constant rivalry that we can ‘enjoy’ - Norwich’s hated rivals are 45 miles away for example, ours are 45 feet away at times, and the smell is overwhelming!

So, you are in a proper football city with two big rivals who often go head to head....that’s a level or two above Bristol in terms of rivalry....Roverzzz are like a little fly that you just can’t direct out of your open window even though you’ve chased it around your lounge with a rolled up newspaper for hours.....we haven’t got a proper rival in our city.....that’s why we try to keep up a hatred with a club from a different country who just happen to be relatively close at 44 miles away....but old school, proper City fans will always reserve their vitriol to be aimed 100% at Bristol Rovers FC ...... best of luck on Friday chief.....

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I hate SheffU , our coach got turned away at the turnstiles 2nd leg of the Promotion/relegation playoff #ImightforgiveIdon'tforget.

Hope you batter them silly.

I remember that game. We were on the first coach of a huge returning convoy having sent the blunts down.........we were just crawling along the main drag coming up to the Crucible (I think) and saw a huge mob gathered outside.  "Oh ****" we thought "here it comes".....but just like Zulu , they were cheering and applauded all the coaches like conquering heroes !  They were all ecstatic Owls !

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

All the best mate, I hope the Owls prevail....I used to feel sick from the moment I woke up on derby day in Bristol.....but those days are long, long gone....doubt we’ll ever play that mob again in a league game. I, for one, will never join in with a chant of “Just like Bristol, your city is red...” aimed at Wednesday fans.

At least in Sheffield you have two big clubs who both attract amazing support. In our sizeable metropolis we have a smallish club and a tiny, insignificant one....our club can attract decent support when we are doing ok, but as for that annoying ‘little nephew’ up the road....they think they have massive support but they don’t know what five figures looks like in an attendance figure context, and they’d have to have seriously long memories to recall an era when they needed five figures to record a crowd.

‘Two club’ cities are great for the banter at work, in the pub, in the streets etc and it’s pretty much seven days a week in Bristol. Clubs like Newcastle, Pompey, Norwich etc may be bigger than us, but they are missing out on the immediate, in your face, constant rivalry that we can ‘enjoy’ - Norwich’s hated rivals are 45 miles away for example, ours are 45 feet away at times, and the smell is overwhelming!

So, you are in a proper football city with two big rivals who often go head to head....that’s a level or two above Bristol in terms of rivalry....Roverzzz are like a little fly that you just can’t direct out of your open window even though you’ve chased it around your lounge with a rolled up newspaper for hours.....we haven’t got a proper rival in our city.....that’s why we try to keep up a hatred with a club from a different country who just happen to be relatively close at 44 miles away....but old school, proper City fans will always reserve their vitriol to be aimed 100% at Bristol Rovers FC ...... best of luck on Friday chief.....

Great post, cheers. Sheffield certainly benefits from having 2 evenly matched clubs, I suppose Manchester is the other, and that's only in the very recent past. My immediate family are all Blades, so there's no escape when we lose. There's nothing better than getting one over on them though, beating them in the FA Cup semi final in 1993 and pipping them to promotion in 2011/12 are two of my favourite moments as a Wednesday fan. If we can do the unexpected on Friday it will be one to remember.

29 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Great post, cheers. Sheffield certainly benefits from having 2 evenly matched clubs, I suppose Manchester is the other, and that's only in the very recent past. My immediate family are all Blades, so there's no escape when we lose. There's nothing better than getting one over on them though, beating them in the FA Cup semi final in 1993 and pipping them to promotion in 2011/12 are two of my favourite moments as a Wednesday fan. If we can do the unexpected on Friday it will be one to remember.

You do realise that you’re only 10 points behind them, in the same division, yeah..? 

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Love this. I find the “Severnside Derby”stuff so plastic. My ire is only reserved for the gAssholes. And H*ll*way. And P*lis. 

Whenever I think of Sheff Weds I still think of the teams of the late 90's and how good they were in spells, with Des Walker at the back, Paolo Dicanio, Benito Carbone, and David Pleat in charge.  There was a season where I seem to recall Weds won the first 5 games, were top of the league, and a group of us became Wednesday fans for a few months.  One lad even bought the full kit. 

My 5-year-old son will always remember Sheff Weds now for the wrong reasons, your win against us a few weeks back was his first City game, and even this morning he brought it up in random conversation.  He still seems outraged that you beat us!

I've always had an interest in Blades since a visit to Bramall Lane in 1958. Met their whole team in a cafe outside and got a comp from Alan Hodgkinson who kept goal for England a few times.

Match lost 4-0 with City keeper Bob Anderson taken off with a back injury. Travelled back on train with team and Bert Tindill gave me a bottle of beer out of the team's crates.

Then played as Sheff U for three years in a Subbuteo league I ran in Filton, Patchway and Horfield.

But must give credit to Owls fans who since Jack Charlton era, have been among the best behaved and friendly fans that we meet.

17 hours ago, In the Net said:

Form can go out of the window in a derby match (I can vaguely remember my club participating in them regularly). 

Owls over Blunts any day. 

Ah yes. I remember your momentous play off games against Forest Green...! 

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Wednesday getting a right old kicking from the Sky pundits, are they really that bad?

Yep. Only terrible teams get beat by them.......

8 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

?

Good luck mate hope you stuff em (unlikely i know!)

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Wednesday getting a right old kicking from the Sky pundits, are they really that bad?

We've been poor recently but they've gone way over the top. Hinchcliffe spent most of his time injured with us so don't think he has particularly fond memories of the club. Michael Brown has always been one of the biggest tits in football.

10 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

We've been poor recently but they've gone way over the top. Hinchcliffe spent most of his time injured with us so don't think he has particularly fond memories of the club. Michael Brown has always been one of the biggest tits in football.

Yeah not surprised by Brown and Andrews, right pair of knobs

Archived