IGNORED

Raheem Sterling wins penalty tonight....

BS4 on Tour...

Normally I'd say this is the referee's call, but in this case it is so obviously not a penalty, and Sterling must have known it wasn't a penalty, that I really think the player shoudl have 'fessed up to the ref.  Whether the ref would have taken any notice is another matter, but Robbie Fowler did it once, didn't he?

I am shocked that Man City had the nerve to take the penalty and score from it. The Referee has obviously made an honest mistake which all the players were aware of so man City should passed the penalty to the Keeper or hit the corner flag or even skied over the bar  in the name of sportsmanship.

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Normally I'd say this is the referee's call, but in this case it is so obviously not a penalty, and Sterling must have known it wasn't a penalty, that I really think the player shoudl have 'fessed up to the ref.  Whether the ref would have taken any notice is another matter, but Robbie Fowler did it once, didn't he?

And then took the Penalty and scored from the rebound!

18 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

9 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

I am shocked that Man City had the nerve to take the penalty and score from it. The Referee has obviously made an honest mistake which all the players were aware of so man City should passed the penalty to the Keeper or hit the corner flag or even skied over the bar  in the name of sportsmanship.

But what about all the stonewall penalties which you don't get, where the defenders don't own up? You take the fortune with the bad luck I say. 

23 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

Pretty sure someone else tapped in the pen when RF missed? 

15 minutes ago, 29AR said:

But what about all the stonewall penalties which you don't get, where the defenders don't own up? You take the fortune with the bad luck I say. 

Good point. 

Tango man was furious with Gary Johnson after the Sears ‘ghost goal’ at AG saying that GJ should of allowed Palace to score a walk through goal..........in fact he mentioned it on Talk Sport fairly recently 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Good point. 

Tango man was furious with Gary Johnson after the Sears ‘ghost goal’ at AG saying that GJ should of allowed Palace to score a walk through goal..........in fact he mentioned it on Talk Sport fairly recently 

You surprise me . I thought he'd forgotten the incident straight after the match . 

I can see his grave headstone,

" Here lieth S. Jordan, it wasn't a goal " 

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

2 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

2 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Pretty sure someone else tapped in the pen when RF missed? 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Good point. 

Yep, but your favourite ex City manager has a fine record when it comes to honesty and fairness...remember these incidents in the Yeovil v Plymouth game? (Warning....scary photo of LJ in the first link!) and in the game vs Brum?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/y/yeovil/3597030.stm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2403528/Yeovil-score-controversial-goal-Birmingham-rage--Glovers-let-score-equaliser-extra-time-going-ahead-Capital-One-Cup.html

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Thing is, if Fowler was truly honest, he wouldn't have dived in the first place.

7 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Little Baz Savage.

Always remember being in the Atyeo end and Baz chased off down the left wing towards the east end and fell over.

I shouted PENALTY, never realised till after the game,he just tripped and fell over.

Seem to recall the whole ground laughing pretty much after that moment...

What appalling refereeing in this game though- ridiculous.

Sterling could have done this however...

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seem to recall the whole ground laughing pretty much after that moment...

What appalling refereeing in this game though- ridiculous.

Sterling could have done this however...

Most definitely should have done that.

Then everyone would be talking about the incident and him in a positive light today.

And questioning how bad the officials were to have not spotted it? Do they still have those so-called 'officials' behind the goals in European games? The ones with the poles (no flag) who do b*gger all to help with anything during the game. Be interesting to see if they saw anything (clearly not I guess).

7 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Little Baz Savage.

Always remember being in the Atyeo end and Baz chased off down the left wing towards the east end and fell over.

I shouted PENALTY, never realised till after the game,he just tripped and fell over.

Agree, he should've pointed it out to the ref, but after listening to a former player yesterday, he said that it would be pointless, as all referees will not reverse the decision at the risk of having their authority and decision making questioned, which in European competition would be even more so because of the cultural football barriers that exist.

So in that respect, don't really blame sterling tbh, but like others have said, it would be nice to see some morality shown here.

1 hour ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Agree, he should've pointed it out to the ref, but after listening to a former player yesterday, he said that it would be pointless, as all referees will not reverse the decision at the risk of having their authority and decision making questioned, which in European competition would be even more so because of the cultural football barriers that exist.

So in that respect, don't really blame sterling tbh, but like others have said, it would be nice to see some morality shown here.

I just saw some Bundesliga highlights where a player looked like he was fouled but the attacker just lost his balance. The ref booked the player for a foul. The attacker went to the ref and told him it wasn’t a foul and the ref took the booking away and shook the attackers hand. It can be done right and this was less than a week ago. I am sure the referee lost little credibility if any

17 hours ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I don’t understand this reaction to Sterling, seems to be what happens to the poor guy. I can only remember one player ever saying it wasn’t a penalty and that made no difference. 

The guy seems to get hounded a hell of a lot. 

This is exactly why I believe he performs for Man City but not England.

Whilst playing for England he plays with fear, fear of the whole nation hounding him for the smallest of mistakes.

1 minute ago, Hellfire Corner said:

He didn’t dive, he leapt over Seaman’s arms to avoid  a collision. If he’d stayed in the ground he would have won a penalty!

Which bit of non-contact cause his legs to go out behind him?
I've jumped over the goalkeeper in a similar situation, and never ended up horizontal without there being contact.

Archived