IGNORED

BCFC, you got this wrong!

Up The City!

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

It wouldn't have as much meaning standing outside in the concourse would it? 

I went to go to my seat at 2:52 and was almost prevented from doing so. The teams hadn't even come out, that's where my issue mainly is.

Does location make a difference to the meaning of how much respect spending a minute in silence means?

I will probably be at home tomorrow for the minutes silence, would it mean more if I stood in the middle of Kingswood high street for it?

It's the observation of the silence that is the memorial, not the location of where you do it.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

Preventing fans from entering the seating area from 2:52 onwards. 

I totally appreciate their want to not have fans streaming in during the service but Ashton Gate is a stadium that fills up immediately prior to kick off.

I did hear some safety announcement sounds whilst outside but due to the poor PA didn't hear what was said, it was only when I entered the stadium at 2:50 and was in the toilet did I hear that they were asking people to go to their seats early. 

With the greatest respects instead of all the crap the club do on twitter they could have spent this week requesting fans go to their seats early.

I myself just barged past a steward as did a few others but many were locked out.

Many locked out... Now where have I heard that before ?

1 hour ago, A Darkwood Red said:

Clowns down here and I mean fans. Supposed to be a minute silence and we turn it into a minute applause. 

Think most thought the minutes silence was when they played the last post, so when ref blow his whistle most thought it was over and started to clap then had to keep going when realized what was happening, it was not made very clear over the PA to be fair

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I totally appreciate their want to not have fans streaming in during the service but Ashton Gate is a stadium that fills up immediately prior to kick off.

I did hear some safety announcement sounds whilst outside but due to the poor PA didn't hear what was said, it was only when I entered the stadium at 2:50 and was in the toilet did I hear that they were asking people to go to their seats early. 

With the greatest respects instead of all the crap the club do on twitter they could have spent this week requesting fans go to their seats early.

I myself just barged past a steward as did a few others but many were locked out.

You've got it wrong. Not a lot to ask to show respect to the fallen.

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

It's absolutely common sense for a minute's silence/applause/whatsoever of course yes. But I'd never have expected that you wouldn't be allowed to walk up to your seat in that period, you can still do so silently. I'm not at the game today mind so maybe it was obvious.

I mean common sense to have a look.

We all know there was going to be a minutes silence, and it takes 2 minutes to open up the club website or twitter feed.

I will say perhaps the club should have pinned the tweet about it, as I had to scroll down a fair bit as there were 2 different posts of the team sheet, and about 3 #lestweforget images and 3 or 4 filler images as well.

1 hour ago, winsaw said:

Think most thought the minutes silence was when they played the last post, so when ref blow his whistle most thought it was over and started to clap then had to keep going when realized what was happening, it was not made very clear over the PA to be fair

I understand that and that's what the people round me all thought but it was said over the PA that the silence would start after the whistle. Its a problem with having an applause every other home game (I know flippant) but the real problem is when we should have a silence before a game we have an applause because they don't trust us fans to behave and respect it. 

2 hours ago, A Darkwood Red said:

I understand that and that's what the people round me all thought but it was said over the PA that the silence would start after the whistle. Its a problem with having an applause every other home game (I know flippant) but the real problem is when we should have a silence before a game we have an applause because they don't trust us fans to behave and respect it. 

Maybe they could have put a message on the screen such as please remain quiet?

3 hours ago, Spoons said:

You've got it wrong. Not a lot to ask to show respect to the fallen.

I think people are capable of entering a stadium quietly. 

How was I supposed to know the players entering the pitch would be part of the service?

I don't remember us having a service like this before, usually the players would come out and do the formalities and then there would be a minutes silence.

The last post sounded terrible on our PA.

4 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I think people are capable of entering a stadium quietly. 

How was I supposed to know the players entering the pitch would be part of the service?

I don't remember us having a service like this before, usually the players would come out and do the formalities and then there would be a minutes silence.

The last post sounded terrible on our PA.

Maybe if you’d actually bothered getting there in plenty of time instead  of last minute.......

‘Barging past’  a Steward is a fine sign of respect btw

19 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Maybe if you’d actually bothered getting there in plenty of time instead  of last minute.......

‘Barging past’  a Steward is a fine sign of respect btw

Well I think it's pretty disrespectful to not allow people into the stadium but there we go.

And yes I did leave plenty of time, I entered the stadium at 2:50 instead of my usual 2:55. Went to the toilet and went to enter the seating area at 2:52.

17 minutes ago, Bobthedog said:

I saw the messages on twitter but I should still be able to access my seat at any point. Downsy and the whole silence was an embarrassment.  

Not everyone uses twitter, many have unfollowed it after the embarrassing posts.

I didn't like how Downsy said something like only true football fans will pay their respects or something.

He’s a joke that apparently only went to his second away game last week despite being three seasons into his job. He needs to care about our club rather than trying to much with embarrassment ‘banter’ . Hadn’t a clue how to handle the silence today.

At least I knew whose birthdays it was and that I was at Ashton gate stadium.    

The club ideally wanted people in their seats 15 mins before kickoff.

Fact is people coming in will or at least perhaps can interrupt proceedings, distract the event etc- the club probably got it right overall but quite why there was applause I don't know.

@Up The City!

A minute's silence at games over Armistice Weekend is the norm- presumably the extra aspects were because it was 100 years since the Armistice WW1- it's always going to be marked in a major way, an anniversary of a commemoration of that magnitude.

7 hours ago, Selred said:

Sorry but you don’t need to stand in the stadium to show respects, if you want to show respect in the stadium don’t turn up so close to kick off. 

Youre completely making a mountain out of a molehill. 

try telling the bus company that, some of us rely on public transport, my bus means I get to the stadium nearly an hour early or 5 minutes before kick off, what do you suggest?

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

try telling the bus company that, some of us rely on public transport, my bus means I get to the stadium nearly an hour early or 5 minutes before kick off, what do you suggest?

Getting the bus an hour early, strolling around the stadium, pop into the shop and have a look. Heck even grab a drink & a bite to eat and listen to the band. I turn up 2 hours before usually. 

If being in the stand to show respect means so much to you then an hours not going to kill you.

11 hours ago, Up The City! said:

On multiple threads you have proved your ignorance of the minute of silence and reflection.

Read up on it before next year.

Wanting to be spoon fed by twitter ffs.

Give your head a wobble.

34 minutes ago, RumRed said:

On multiple threads you have proved your ignorance of the minute of silence and reflection.

Read up on it before next year.

Wanting to be spoon fed by twitter ffs.

Give your head a wobble.

I don't even use Twitter FFS, hence why I was unaware of the request to enter the seating area until I was in the toilet at roughly 2:50. 

The toilet is the only place inside and outside the ground where the PA is audible. I always make sure I'm in the toilet for the match day draw so I can hear it.

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Getting the bus an hour early, strolling around the stadium, pop into the shop and have a look. Heck even grab a drink & a bite to eat and listen to the band. I turn up 2 hours before usually. 

If being in the stand to show respect means so much to you then an hours not going to kill you.

I do exactly this every match day, in in that whole two hours I was blissfully unaware of a request to enter the seating area early.

It wouldn't have hurt to have a few messages on the big screen outside would it?

15 hours ago, nebristolred said:

It's absolutely common sense for a minute's silence/applause/whatsoever of course yes. But I'd never have expected that you wouldn't be allowed to walk up to your seat in that period, you can still do so silently. I'm not at the game today mind so maybe it was obvious.

It’s not really paying respect if you are still making your way to your seat DURING the minute. If I saw someone moving/ doing something during the minute I’d just assume they have no interest in showing respect and are just being quiet so as not to cause a scene while they carry on doing what they were already doing

One thing that was lacking yesterday - and this is not the fault of the club, the Royal British Legion or anyone who isn't me. Was an opportunity to buy a poppy (if there was, I missed it).

I wore a coat yesterday that I hadn't worn since the last home game and in doing so, forgot to take my Poppy pin off another coat, so I wasn't sporting a poppy yesterday.

If I'd have seen someone collecting I would have been more than happy to have got another one.

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

@Up The City! I entered the ground about 2.15pm through the SS turnstiles, all stewards were doing a good job of asking everyone to be in their seats by 10 to 3.  That’s how I and others heard about it.

When I entered the ground roughly around 2:45 nothing was said.

I just think this club has a huge problem with communication, not just with this but also on other things.

Just watching Frank Lampards Manchester Derby and they got it absolutely spot on it appears. Fans were still entering as the teams came out in a much bigger stadium than ours. 

They then played the last post and didn't have a minutes silence.

Archived