IGNORED

Lee Johnson lovers

Alan Dicks

19 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

How many times does it need to be said?

LJ is a Yes Man. If we sack LJ, Lansdown will replace him with another Yes Man, and we'll be in no better a position than we are now.

I've got absolutely nothing against LJ. In fact, I'd say I'm one of those fans that needs to "hang my head in shame:. I won't hang my head in shame, though, because I have the sense to see that LJ isn't the problem.

As I said in the other thread, LJ's goal for this season is to get 10th or above. Read it again, so it sinks in. 10th or above. Lansdown loves LJ, so I reckon he'll keep his job if we're around 12-14th, since we lost a handful of solid players. That's the reality of the situation, and since we're in 13th on a poor run I'd say he's not too far off of where he should be.

I'll say it again, in bold and in large font, for those that are hard of reading.

LJ's goal for this season is to get 10th or above.

To be frank, I wasn't sold on LJ's appointment, but I'm now of the mind that he's a credible coach at this level. I do think we'd benefit from a manager over a coach, but we won't get that under Lansdown. The club has a set way of how it wants Bristol City to play, the players we bring into the squad, and the budget we have for each season, and that doesn't leave much wiggle room for management choice.

Wait until we are in the bottom six, deep in the mire and then tell me again that Johnson is a credible coach at this or in fact any level of the Football League.

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Wait until we are in the bottom six, deep in the mire and then tell me again that Johnson is a credible coach at this or in fact any level of the Football League.

That's the point. We're not in the bottom six. We're near where Lansdown wants us to be, and there's no evidence outside of recent form to suggest that we're heading for a relegation scrap.

If we end up in a relegation scrap, sure, I'll consider him to be a poor coach for this level and would support us looking for another coach.

The difference: would you LJ critics consider him to be a good coach if we end up in 10th or above? My money is no, because it's less about the results for many of you, and more about simply not liking LJ, either as a player when he was with us, or as the figurehead of the club you support.

If you don't like him, fair enough, but don't make it about results until it is likely to be true.

7 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

That's the point. We're not in the bottom six. We're near where Lansdown wants us to be, and there's no evidence outside of recent form to suggest that we're heading for a relegation scrap.

If we end up in a relegation scrap, sure, I'll consider him to be a poor coach for this level and would support us looking for another coach.

The difference: would you LJ critics consider him to be a good coach if we end up in 10th or above? My money is no, because it's less about the results for many of you, and more about simply not liking LJ, either as a player when he was with us, or as the figurehead of the club you support.

If you don't like him, fair enough, but don't make it about results until it is likely to be true.

Excellent post. Spot on. ............:clapping:

People have been saying ‘Johnson Out’ since he arrived, so nothing new here.....

We have now lost 3 on the bounce - worrying whatever anyone’s view is on the manager. Just to temper things slightly; the defeat against Stoke was actually a good performance and we were undone by a tremendous goalkeeping display which was almost worth the defeat to witness. 

That leaves 2 poor performances which rightly left us with 0 points - one against Preston who we haven’t beaten since God was a boy. 

I’ve been called ‘happy clappy’ Before because I have not joined in with the baying mob who are after Johnson’s head - I don’t care. I just call it as I see it. Right now it’s not good at all, but it’s also not bad enough (yet) for me to call for him to go and plunge us back into a confusing and unsettling restructuring venture. 

Every defeat or poor performance brings it closer, but a couple of wins and it would be fine again. 

Johnson in - for now. 

20 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

People have been saying ‘Johnson Out’ since he arrived, so nothing new here.....

We have now lost 3 on the bounce - worrying whatever anyone’s view is on the manager. Just to temper things slightly; the defeat against Stoke was actually a good performance and we were undone by a tremendous goalkeeping display which was almost worth the defeat to witness. 

That leaves 2 poor performances which rightly left us with 0 points - one against Preston who we haven’t beaten since God was a boy. 

I’ve been called ‘happy clappy’ Before because I have not joined in with the baying mob who are after Johnson’s head - I don’t care. I just call it as I see it. Right now it’s not good at all, but it’s also not bad enough (yet) for me to call for him to go and plunge us back into a confusing and unsettling restructuring venture. 

Every defeat or poor performance brings it closer, but a couple of wins and it would be fine again. 

Johnson in - for now. 

Against Stoke we were good for 45 minutes.

I still can't get over how crap we were against Wigan and Sheffied Wednesday, I don't think Reading and Preston have hit me quite yet.

Swansea feels like a lifetime ago.

10 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Absolutely. Totally agree. So did most on here and on the other forums. 

We all called for Johnson to start with the side that did so well for that 45 minutes. Myself included. 

So, he did - against Reading - and we lost - it didn’t work - but I would have picked the same starting side. 

People say LJ doesn’t know his best 11 - well neither do we!

Dont get me wrong - LJ isn’t bulletproof as far as I am concerned - he just still has time and a few games left before I would prefer a gamble on another experiment. 

1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

LJ is a Yes Man. If we sack LJ, Lansdown will replace him with another Yes Man, and we'll be in no better a position than we are now.

I've got absolutely nothing against LJ. In fact, I'd say I'm one of those fans that needs to "hang my head in shame:. I won't hang my head in shame, though, because I have the sense to see that LJ isn't the problem.

As I said in the other thread, LJ's goal for this season is to get 10th or above. Read it again, so it sinks in. 10th or above. Lansdown loves LJ, so I reckon he'll keep his job if we're around 12-14th, since we lost a handful of solid players. That's the reality of the situation, and since we're in 13th on a poor run I'd say he's not too far off of where he should be.

I'll say it again, in bold and in large font, for those that are hard of reading.

To be frank, I wasn't sold on LJ's appointment, but I'm now of the mind that he's a credible coach at this level. I do think we'd benefit from a manager over a coach, but we won't get that under Lansdown. The club has a set way of how it wants Bristol City to play, the players we bring into the squad, and the budget we have for each season, and that doesn't leave much wiggle room for management choice.

It does not. 

54 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

No.

If the teams performances continue to veer as they have each season lee Johnson has been in charge, and the teams approach alters through each season into the next where that non defined process repeats itself.

The above is not coaching. Coaching is educating and developing players and the team. Any side that goes through the peaks and troughs Bristol City do is, and that is  a deeper point beyond the metrics of points is not being educated and developed as a team. 

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

The club has a set way of how it wants Bristol City to play.

don't mind 12-14th if I could see this set way of play. I can make my mind up then. If its the set way of play from saturday my boy makes my mind up for me it because it was boring and made him want go home early. so this set way of playing what is it???

I like LJ and I want him to succeed.  I love City and I want them to succeed.  So for me, I'd be a LJ liker as opposed to a 'lover'.

Unlike many, I don't call for Lee's head on here every time we suffer 2 or 3 defeats.  I have accepted there are many readers on here who do shout for his head to roll when we have one of these normal Championship dips of form.  It is normal because every team in the Championship is a very good side, with no exceptions.

Only a few weeks ago we beat Brentford 1-0 away and LJ was receiving praise, how has it got so bad so quickly again?

Newsflash: BRISTOL CITY WILL SOMETIMES LOSE 3 or 4 GAMES IN A ROW IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP - we have to just deal with it and move on.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

No.

If the teams performances continue to veer as they have each season lee Johnson has been in charge, and the teams approach alters through each season into the next where that non defined process repeats itself.

The above is not coaching. Coaching is educating and developing players and the team. Any side that goes through the peaks and troughs Bristol City do is, and that is  a deeper point beyond the metrics of points is not being educated and developed as a team. 

In that case, would you support LJ if results were to worsen, but we were to adopt a more consistent playing style? Something along the lines of how Bielsa has Leeds United playing and pressing, albeit without the success he seems to be having there?

Besides, as far as your opinion on coaching, wouldn't that many Lee Johnson a fantastic coach? In his tenure, we're taken a Chelsea youngster and turned him into a £15m+ wonderkid, have introduced several academy prospects to first-team football, have taken a mediocre midfielder and turned him into a solid forward, have several academy players playing well for Football League teams on loan, and have sold two academy prospects to Premier League sides for good money.

I'll be the first to admit that our play under LJ isn't consistent, but I'd put that down to LJ trying to be flexible over LJ not having a clue. It's certainly not a good enough reason in my view to call for a manager to be sacked, especially when there isn't an outstanding candidate available.

55 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

In that case, would you support LJ if results were to worsen, but we were to adopt a more consistent playing style? Something along the lines of how Bielsa has Leeds United playing and pressing, albeit without the success he seems to be having there?

Yes. Progression in the short term does not have to be measured solely by points. Lee Johnson for several years has failed to define the teams football, or identity as he describes it. 

55 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

Besides, as far as your opinion on coaching, wouldn't that many Lee Johnson a fantastic coach? In his tenure, we're taken a Chelsea youngster and turned him into a £15m+ wonderkid, have introduced several academy prospects to first-team football, have taken a mediocre midfielder and turned him into a solid forward, have several academy players playing well for Football League teams on loan, and have sold two academy prospects to Premier League sides for good money.

Tammy Abraham was already a outlier in terms of ability. The movement he used to score goals was not coached in at BCFC it was present on arrival. I would not describe Joe Bryan as a prospect. He was an outstanding talent, a credit to the club and its academy. I supported Mr Johnsons use of Joe Bryan at full back. 

Reid? yes its a huge +, and Mr Johnson has introduced several academy prospects to the XI one of whom I saw play at academy level and again was a outstanding talent and credit to the academy … Serious questions should be asked if that several was nil. Several has to happen. Several talents have to present in the building all the time if the academy is not failing. Putting these talents into the XI has to be part of the remit. Its several in years. Good, bad, average? I will go for average as a performance of coach and academy.    

This does not make Lee Johnson a fantastic coach.

Fantastic coaches are great communicators, great educators, great supporters and in Head Coach terms their teams are a reflection of their principles, their vision, their beliefs and values. You mention Beilsa, months into his tenure, just months in he has already facilitated into Leeds football high lines, pressing, and emphasis on passing (short and frequent). These are his principles, unwavering principles he carries around from club to club in his football. 

Mr Johnson has no set way of playing. The club has no set way of playing being put into place by Mr Johnson despite your assertion. Mr Johnson is years into his tenure. 

3 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I like LJ and I want him to succeed.  I love City and I want them to succeed.  So for me, I'd be a LJ liker as opposed to a 'lover'.

Unlike many, I don't call for Lee's head on here every time we suffer 2 or 3 defeats.  I have accepted there are many readers on here who do shout for his head to roll when we have one of these normal Championship dips of form.  It is normal because every team in the Championship is a very good side, with no exceptions.

Only a few weeks ago we beat Brentford 1-0 away and LJ was receiving praise, how has it got so bad so quickly again?

Newsflash: BRISTOL CITY WILL SOMETIMES LOSE 3 or 4 GAMES IN A ROW IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP - we have to just deal with it and move on.

I  dont think it’s how many we lost ,it’s the way we lost that gets to people 

a few on ass chat said what they would give to be 13 in the championship......

6 hours ago, EnderMB said:

The club has a set way of how it wants Bristol City to play, the players we bring into the squad, and the budget we have for each season, and that doesn't leave much wiggle room for management choice.

That would make sense if the club did have a way it wants to play in place. 

7 hours ago, reddogkev said:

and sometimes we will go on record breaking winless streaks or even plummet from promotion spot to mid table due to our refusal to bring in talent and push on when we need to. Do we have to deal with that to? have you seen our next half dozen fixtures? I will await the statement from LJ that "we may need to fine tune in the window"

Could be a bit of an eye opener for SL at the end of the season when we come to sell our best again......as......we wont have any....that should p him off.

• Admin
11 hours ago, RedM said:

No idea, but are they on the rumoured Dubai trip?

I know it's been mentioned by some but a few things about this trip baffles me

- why go somewhere hot when our own climate is going the other end of the scale? 

- There should have been a target for the team to do well that if they achieved they'd get this nice break? 

- How far would the total amount spent on the trip gone if put towards a loan / new signing from January? 

10 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I said anywhere between 6th and 16th at the start of the season.

i said I would be happy to finish lower than 11th if it was a bit of an evolutionary season (from Flint, Reid, Bryan etc) and the likes of Kelly played 30+, Webster settled in, etc, and we were playing a system that could be recruited for more effectively / efficiently, and no more squad bloat....with an aim to really push in 19/20.

Of course some of those things are happening, but the level of performance in several games (3 or 4 awful, 2 or 3 below par) has not been good enough....too many sub-par in 17 games imho.

9 hours ago, Fuber said:

I still can't get over how crap we were against Wigan and Sheffied Wednesday, I don't think Reading and Preston have hit me quite yet.

Swansea feels like a lifetime ago.

I still don’t know where some of these performances come from either.

4 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

I  dont think it’s how many we lost ,it’s the way we lost that gets to people 

That’s the bit that does me.  If I look at our 17 games based on performance I think we’ve got 4-6 more points than we “deserved”.  I’ve done it both ways....games we didn’t get points but should’ve, and vice-versa.  That would leave us 18th-22nd.  Of course that’s immaterial, we’ve got the points, and I’m glad we have them on the board.

9 hours ago, phantom said:

I know it's been mentioned by some but a few things about this trip baffles me

- why go somewhere hot when our own climate is going the other end of the scale? 

- There should have been a target for the team to do well that if they achieved they'd get this nice break? 

- How far would the total amount spent on the trip gone if put towards a loan / new signing from January? 

I can’t see any concrete proof this trip has happened, but let’s assume it’s real. I guess they go for heat to help heal tired limbs and so they can train on pitches that aren’t soggy this time of year. Well that was the case in the past maybe but with the advances in artificial pitches etc is it really necessary I agree.

As for the reward if they do well, good idea but these players are so pampered I don’t think it would work. I’m convinced when they sign, it’s part of how we attract players, that we state we offer excellent training ground facilities, mid season winter conditioning etc etc. It’s part of the package we promise to lure players here.

Yes the money saved would be a huge boost to our January budget, but you got to remember most players are selfish beasts, players arriving could help them perform of course but they are also a threat. Players would rather go to Dubai themselves than have more money for replacements I’m sure.

Oh, and you forgot to add that the poor players whilst on these trips are away from their friends and families, like they also miss Christmas etc. 

Its SL who needs to hang his head in shame. He is responsible for recruiting LJ. But at the moment I am struggling to see what the fuss is about. We are a mid-table team in midtable? Performances have been poor but is not exactly surprising is it? This is the guy that took us on  a record breaking losing streak and last season led a team that capitulated when it was comfortably 2nd at XMAS.

The reality is that LJ will have to fail to be sacked and that means relegation.

SL does not share our views, in fact:

1. He will see LJ as the perfect figure. The nice guy who does not rock the boat. Example, when has LJ ever publicly criticised the club or board. He has not. In contrast, Cotterill went to town about lack of £ and criticiquing the focus on lower league players. Hindsight shows he was not wrong. The guy totally imploded and questions must be asked of what he saw to react in this way. 

2. LJ has brought through the young players. 

3. LJ has sold on players for profit - Flint, Bryan, Reid. 

4. We are midtable. He has a respectable win percentage of nearly 40% which is better than any other of our other managers who have performed in this league, which is regarded as a rough league. 

5. We have a relatively cheap management set up, which serves SL interests. Where is the experience in running the side. Its simply not there. 

Landsdown does not want the premier league. If we can flirt with it now and then, he will be happy.  If he truly wanted PL football his focus would have been 100% on the football club and not the bristol sport BS. He would have funded it accordingly and put in place the manager who would get us there. He has always taken half measures (albeit very expensive half measures) and we have spent more time in League One under his tenure than being close to the PL.

Sometimes he strikes gold - GJ and SC. Those bright dawns never last because the fact is the club is rotten in its management core. Thats why top managers dont come. If LJ is sacked there is no guarantee we will get the management team we think is required. It will be half measures. He only brought in Gary Johnson and Cotterill when we were facing relegation to League 2. Commentators always allude to issues behind the scenes and we are all left to speculate on the reasons. The facts tell you our ambitions are to be a championship club and that is precisely what LJ is delivering. If there is shame it should be directed to the owners not the fans, whatever your views on the manager.  

22 hours ago, EnderMB said:

Heard about this.

The assumption that locked away in the club is a book called the WAY … That book is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

Its all set.

Its all planned.

Nobody has seen this book or a just a very few somebodies.

Nobody has seen the WAY on the pitch either.

C'mon cough up and tell us what we are missing or admit he is making it up as he goes along.

39 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Its SL who needs to hang his head in shame. He is responsible for recruiting LJ. But at the moment I am struggling to see what the fuss is about. We are a mid-table team in midtable?  

You struggle to see what the fuss is about, but SL needs to hang his head in shame, anyway? 

42 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

The reality is that LJ will have to fail to be sacked and that means relegation.

SL does not share our views, in fact:

In May this year, SL said: "We now have to learn from what we've done this year and go again next year and look to go a few steps further, get in the top six and vie for promotion at the end of the season." That doesn't sound to me like someone prepared to accept relegation, just to keep his appointee. 

Sounds to me like SL wants what all of us want: improvement and progress.

50 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Landsdown does not want the premier league. 

52 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

The facts tell you our ambitions are to be a championship club 

You have given opinion rather than facts on SL's ambitions. A fact would be something like the amount of money spent on refurbshing AG, rather a lot of money if the Championship was the height of his ambition. There are also the words that come from the horses mouth, and we will see how genuine the ones I quoted above are if we continue to slump and look in real danger of a relegation battle. 

It might be that SL has the ambition to reach the top but not yet the foresight, the judgement, or the luck in selecting the right head coach to realise this ambition. That's an opinion, not a fact.

1 hour ago, MarkRed! said:

If there is shame 

There isn't. The bloke is trying - he might not be trying what you or I would be trying, but he is trying all the same - and there's no shame in trying. Shame is for other things in life than the selection of football coaches and the form of football teams.

1 hour ago, MarkRed! said:

The reality is 

....devilishly difficult to get a handle on, once you go beyond the facts, which are things like position in the table, scores, who scores, who plays. And sometimes attendances. Beyond this lies performances and things like the ambitions of club owners. And there we have only opinion and guesswork, and the contents of our own minds. Not always the best resource.

You could be right about SL's ambition but you wouldn't know, you couldn't be certain. Certainty about someone else's inner thoughts and motives is madness. Because they are not going about things the way you or I might do, doesn't automatically mean they are not trying. 

From the money spent on the ground and other things at the club, and from the words that come from SL himself, I see someone who is after being amongst the best. Whether LJ is the coach to deliver that, that's another thing but SL's patient backing of him does not shout to me: no ambition.

16 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

You struggle to see what the fuss is about, but SL needs to hang his head in shame, anyway? 

In May this year, SL said: "We now have to learn from what we've done this year and go again next year and look to go a few steps further, get in the top six and vie for promotion at the end of the season." That doesn't sound to me like someone prepared to accept relegation, just to keep his appointee. 

Sounds to me like SL wants what all of us want: improvement and progress.

You have given opinion rather than facts on SL's ambitions. A fact would be something like the amount of money spent on refurbshing AG, rather a lot of money if the Championship was the height of his ambition. There are also the words that come from the horses mouth, and we will see how genuine the ones I quoted above are if we continue to slump and look in real danger of a relegation battle. 

It might be that SL has the ambition to reach the top but not yet the foresight, the judgement, or the luck in selecting the right head coach to realise this ambition. That's an opinion, not a fact.

There isn't. The bloke is trying - he might not be trying what you or I would be trying, but he is trying all the same - and there's no shame in trying. Shame is for other things in life than the selection of football coaches and the form of football teams.

....devilishly difficult to get a handle on, once you go beyond the facts, which are things like position in the table, scores, who scores, who plays. And sometimes attendances. Beyond this lies performances and things like the ambitions of club owners. And there we have only opinion and guesswork, and the contents of our own minds. Not always the best resource.

You could be right about SL's ambition but you wouldn't know, you couldn't be certain. Certainty about someone else's inner thoughts and motives is madness. Because they are not going about things the way you or I might do, doesn't automatically mean they are not trying. 

From the money spent on the ground and other things at the club, and from the words that come from SL himself, I see someone who is after being amongst the best. Whether LJ is the coach to deliver that, that's another thing but SL's patient backing of him does not shout to me: no ambition.

Dont disagree with any of your comments, which are a very insightful way of looking at it overall.  

2 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

Sometimes he strikes gold - GJ and SC. Those bright dawns never last because the fact is the club is rotten in its management core. Thats why top managers dont come. If LJ is sacked there is no guarantee we will get the management team we think is required. It will be half measures. He only brought in Gary Johnson and Cotterill when we were facing relegation to League 2. 

Hmmmmmmmmm

Thats a very good point ........

Desperation opening the eyes

On 13/11/2018 at 12:30, bcfcredandwhite said:

Johnson in - for now. 

I sense a poll coming.

:banana:

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:25, EnderMB said:

. The club has a set way of how it wants Bristol City to play

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 15:08, EnderMB said:

but we were to adopt a more consistent playing style? 

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 15:08, EnderMB said:

I'll be the first to admit that our play under LJ isn't consistent, but I'd put that down to LJ trying to be flexible over LJ not having a clue. 

14 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

?? 

I think its the old when the only consistent is the Manager is inconsistent just say they are flexible trick.

On 10/11/2018 at 16:31, Alan Dicks said:

Go hang your heads in shame. 

The performances continue to get worse and worse every week, yet you lot continue to see something in this man that most don't. 

Steve L get him out first thing Monday morning and admit you got it all wrong.

And you couldn't wait to post this could you? Almost as if you were relishing the moment you could after another disappointing defeat, but some of us City diehards will  prefer to take a rational view of things rather than the childish outburst that you were right Na na na na na.

Admit what are the City supporters are supposed to cough up? 

That we are 13th in the second tier?

That we have a team that is full of young talent that still have a lot to learn?

That we still have a loyal and avid supporter of 'our' club at the helm.

That in this league anything can happen and we are not yet doomed as much as you and your types want us to fail just to make a point.

In fact you lot make me sick to the back teeth, get back in your holes and hope for a heavy defeat at Leeds, and leave the support to the City fans who actually care.

If LJ does go it will be the SL's reasoning not the fickle knee jerk reactions of a mob who are quick to surrender, how ironic, thankfully are young men and women that fought in the Wars didn't run away.

PATHETIC LOSERS THE LOT OF YA!?.   

14 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

And you couldn't wait to post this could you? Almost as if you were relishing the moment you could after another disappointing defeat, but some of us City diehards will  prefer to take a rational view of things rather than the childish outburst that you were right Na na na na na.

That we have a team that is full of young talent that still have a lot to learn?

That in this league anything can happen and we are not yet doomed as much as you and your types want us to fail just to make a point.

In fact you lot make me sick to the back teeth, get back in your holes and hope for a heavy defeat at Leeds, and leave the support to the City fans who actually care.

If LJ does go it will be the SL's reasoning not the fickle knee jerk reactions of a mob who are quick to surrender, how ironic, thankfully are young men and women that fought in the Wars didn't run away.

WTF has that got to do with anything on a football forum. You are bang out of order comparing people having a moan via a keyboard to those brave folks who went through a war whether they wanted to or not.

Knobhead.

6 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

You've got your opinions, we've got ours, but the trouble is you Johnson happy "clappers" don't want us to express our opinions, we're not going anywhere with him in charge, yes we're 13th,we were 2nd,Landsdown comes out and states he'd be happy with 12th,like MA stated last season, when we were 2nd,not aiming for playoffs, we dropped away, that's telling me they don't want promotion, LJ has run out of ideas, he doesn't know his best 11players,get someone in who knows what there doing, not someone who's quesses what to do, that's my opinion, 

Archived