IGNORED

Diedhiou

pl00peh91

1 hour ago, Redtucks said:

"His all round game isn't the best still" isn't quite the same as "Shocking player. Where do I even begin"

Not bad for a "shocking player"???

I think you're being rather over dramatic. We are all allowed our opinions, whether you like them or not. I think his ball control is amongst the worst I have season from a professional footballer at times. Can't hold the ball up and gets pushed off the ball far too easily. Most of his goals last season came from the persistance of Bobby Reid.

7 hours ago, One BCFC said:

I think you're being rather over dramatic. We are all allowed our opinions, whether you like them or not. I think his ball control is amongst the worst I have season from a professional footballer at times. Can't hold the ball up and gets pushed off the ball far too easily. Most of his goals last season came from the persistance of Bobby Reid.

Really!!!

I'm being over dramatic???

You're the one that posted that he is a shocking player.

Whilst I accept that he isn't the perfect footballer (who is?), his goal return would surely suggest he is far from a shocking player.

Bobby Reid hasn't played this season, but Famara has still scored seven so far.

I would suggest that many of Bobby Reid's goals last season were due to the persistance of Famara Deidhiou.

7 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Really!!!

I'm being over dramatic???

You're the one that posted that he is a shocking player.

Whilst I accept that he isn't the perfect footballer (who is?), his goal return would surely suggest he is far from a shocking player.

Bobby Reid hasn't played this season, but Famara has still scored seven so far.

I would suggest that many of Bobby Reid's goals last season were due to the persistance of Famara Deidhiou.

Yeah you are, it is a football forum and my opinion of a player differs from yours get over it. I find it hard to believe the work ethic of Diedhiou helped Reid get his goals when he was injured for 3 months of last season.

Like our manager he divides the fan base . Even reading the stoke forum. Some fans thought he was crap . Other said he’s the sort of player they have been crying out for . For me whilst his touch is inconsistent and his work rate has been questioned. Both are improving especially his work rate IMO . Also his goal ratio is quite good. And if he gets the service and crossing like yesterday there is plenty more to come. A striker needs service 

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Do you mean as a pair or individually? Because if it's the former, I had some doubts. Didn't think it would be that brilliant myself- certainly not in the configuration.

Weimann best paired with Taylor or Paterson behind- the latter being the 4-4-1-1/4-1-4-1 type we had with Reid, team would need other changes to get the most there.

Diedhiou? Well I'm loathe to change a successful formula but Eliasson and O'Dowda in a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 would get the best out of him and the team IMO.

Weimann and Diedhiou? Definitely have attributes that differ, but as a pair? Didn't fully see it and still don't- to say nothing of the prospect of becoming more vulnerable in midfield in such a shape.

I think most thought they’d be a good pairing because Weimann played off a target man before. Seeing more and more that is not Diedhiou’s preferred game. This is probably why it hasn’t worked as Fam is not getting the flick ons or holding it up as well as Benteke did when Weimann played off him.

Problem with Weimann as a lone striker is that while he will run the channels he doesn’t have the ability to hold it up. May have been Ipswich game where he got in behind several times but because afraid to get bumped off the ball immediately turns and fires a pass back 20-30 yards. So while it gets us up the pitch, it slows down our counter attack. This is how I see it anyway

1 minute ago, One BCFC said:

Yeah you are, it is a football forum and my opinion of a player differs from yours get over it. I find it hard to believe the work ethic of Diedhiou helped Reid get his goals when he was injured for 3 months of last season.

I know it's a forum and we have different opinions. It doesn't make your opinion any more right than mine

I don't see, therefore, that I have to get over anything.

I find it rather over dramatic to call someone a shocking player when he was out for three months last season but still scored thirteen goals, and has seven goals this season having missed the first six games.

13 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

And congrats to Fam on his new baby!!

I read that too. Most players ( and even us ‘normal’ people) suffer through lack of sleep, broken routines and general upheaval after a newborn. Most of us wander around like zombies and seemingly having no control over our actions or surroundings.

Wonder how we will be able to tell with Fammy :laughcont:

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Do you mean as a pair or individually? Because if it's the former, I had some doubts. Didn't think it would be that brilliant myself- certainly not in the configuration.

Weimann best paired with Taylor or Paterson behind- the latter being the 4-4-1-1/4-1-4-1 type we had with Reid, team would need other changes to get the most there.

Diedhiou? Well I'm loathe to change a successful formula but Eliasson and O'Dowda in a 4-3-3/4-3-2-1 would get the best out of him and the team IMO.

Weimann and Diedhiou? Definitely have attributes that differ, but as a pair? Didn't fully see it and still don't- to say nothing of the prospect of becoming more vulnerable in midfield in such a shape.

As a pair mate.

12 hours ago, Redtucks said:

.I remembered that a while ago someone had posted on a thread about Deidhiou, that he was a shocking player. The poster implied that the player had absolutely nothing going for him.

After Famara's performances over the past 5 or 6 weeks where he has scored four times in eight games, not to mention hitting the woodwork two or three times, and worked his socks off as a lone striker with little support or service, I felt justified in asking the poster if he still felt the same.

In my opinion, the biggest psychological part of a players game is confidence.

The jeering/cheering when Famara was substituted earlier in the season did nothing to boost his confidence.

With all respects Famara does not work his socks off consistently, and what he does now is subjective - He screens and does not join in pressing to A. Keep him closer to goal B.Conserve energy. C. Its logical its both and planned. A key quality of Famaras game at this point in his career is not relentless work ethic.

Confidence is a choice. Having little service does not have to affect a players mindset unless they allow it to. Yes there are differing drivers of confidence but confidence is truly controlled by oneself. That is not a opinion it is fact. I will avoid waffling about the pre frontal cortex, positive body language stimulating performance enhancing hormones, visualisation  … It does work

Having nothing going for him was harsh … Criticism of his attitude at points is not.

The jeering/cheering … Again it affects him if he allows it to. Its not something I would look upon as generally beneficial but criticism from crowds can feed some players as it inspires fight v flight reaction.

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

As a pair mate.

Taylor replaced Pato yesterday towards the end of the game, can you see MT playing in that role instead of striker? I think MT doesn't fit the team anymore, which is a shame because he seems such an instinctive player and could offer so much more

?Having just listened to LJ's post match interview...I was rather gobsmacked to hear him say that he thinks Famara is the best player in the league for getting across his player, and winning a header when a cross comes over.

I guess we are going to be stuck with him for a while yet and our play centred around him.

I agree also with cowsheds points. However I will add, that LJ has often said that our squad is so different to when he played in how they react to criticism...however constructive.

So many of us are from an age where we had to grow some, and get on with life. We were constantly criticised negatively or constructively.

It's hard to understand how footballers only react to constant praise, and need love and told how great they are.

It' a different world and one where manager and coach's of an older generation have had to adapt.

I think Famara definitely needs to feel loved...as do most of the squad.

Funny ol world.

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Taylor replaced Pato yesterday towards the end of the game, can you see MT playing in that role instead of striker? I think MT doesn't fit the team anymore, which is a shame because he seems such an instinctive player and could offer so much more

I like Taylors movement...it's very natural and instinctive. However I don't think we have anyone up front who suits his style of play. Imo...he'll be played as a Sub or moved on. Which would be a shame, as I think with games he could be very good at this level.

Just now, spudski said:

I like Taylors movement...it's very natural and instinctive. However I don't think we have anyone up front who suits his style of play. Imo...he'll be played as a Sub or moved on. Which would be a shame, as I think with games he could be very good at this level.

Yes, I could see him doing really well…somewhere else :ermm:

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

His movement is good and he can be a pest to defenders, but I am not sure he will ever score many at Championship level. A Gas acquaintance suggested that he would struggle to score against better teams, and he has been proved right, even given Taylor's lack of game time.

As for Diedhiou, he is not a target man, but like Weimann and Taylor (and Reid last season) would prefer balls behind the defenders to run onto. Given a lot of the "service" he gets is just a lump forward, with no other City player within 5-10 yards of him, would be a challenge to any forward. He either has to hold it up, with defenders all around our lone striker, or if he occasionally gets his head on it, there is no-one to pick up the knock down. No centre forward looks good with minimal support! Yes his touch can be heavy at times, but his scoring record at this level, even given everything else, suggests he can't be that bad.

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

?Having just listened to LJ's post match interview...I was rather gobsmacked to hear him say that he thinks Famara is the best player in the league for getting across his player, and winning a header when a cross comes over.

I guess we are going to be stuck with him for a while yet and our play centred around him.

I agree also with cowsheds points. However I will add, that LJ has often said that our squad is so different to when he played in how they react to criticism...however constructive.

So many of us are from an age where we had to grow some, and get on with life. We were constantly criticised negatively or constructively.

It's hard to understand how footballers only react to constant praise, and need love and told how great they are.

It' a different world and one where manager and coach's of an older generation have had to adapt.

I think Famara definitely needs to feel loved...as do most of the squad.

Funny ol world.

I was amazed that he said that. 

All I can say is that he must get across his marker regularly in training as he certainly doesn't do it that often in matches and if I had to rank him for that particular aspect of his game I would say he's one of, if not the worst, in this division. Although he is probably one of the best headers of a ball in the division.

Alarming if LJ actually meant what he said.

2 hours ago, Redtucks said:

I know it's a forum and we have different opinions. It doesn't make your opinion any more right than mine

I don't see, therefore, that I have to get over anything.

I find it rather over dramatic to call someone a shocking player when he was out for three months last season but still scored thirteen goals, and has seven goals this season having missed the first six games.

Their lone striker is the worst player i’ve seen play against us for a long long time. I didn’t realise it possible for someone to have a worst first touch than Afobe. Shawcross actually managed to outsprint him on a few occasions.

A quote from the Stoke forum. Can't be the only one who thinks he is no good clearlt

32 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

With all respects Famara does not work his socks off consistently, and what he does now is subjective - He screens and does not join in pressing to A. Keep him closer to goal B.Conserve energy. C. Its logical its both and planned. A key quality of Famaras game at this point in his career is not relentless work ethic.

Confidence is a choice. Having little service does not have to affect a players mindset unless they allow it to. Yes there are differing drivers of confidence but confidence is truly controlled by oneself. That is not a opinion it is fact. I will avoid waffling about the pre frontal cortex, positive body language stimulating performance enhancing hormones, visualisation  … It does work

Having nothing going for him was harsh … Criticism of his attitude at points is not.

The jeering/cheering … Again it affects him if he allows it to. Its not something I would look upon as generally beneficial but criticism from crowds can feed some players as it inspires fight v flight reaction.

Fair enough.

Your points appear to be getting a bit deep for me. You seem to have a knowledge of psychology above that of the average person, so I feel that I am unable to agree or disagree.

My original question was in response to One BCFC who's opinion of Deidhiou was that he was a "Shocking player. Where do I even begin".

Out of interest, do you agree with his statement?

10 minutes ago, One BCFC said:

Their lone striker is the worst player i’ve seen play against us for a long long time. I didn’t realise it possible for someone to have a worst first touch than Afobe. Shawcross actually managed to outsprint him on a few occasions.

A quote from the Stoke forum. Can't be the only one who thinks he is no good clearlt

Probably sour grapes IMO.

Who scored in that game?

Afobe joined Stoke on a six-month loan but with an obligation to purchase him for an reported fee of £12 million in January 2019.

He has scored 6 times so far.

Does that make him worse than shocking?

Are we supposed to take that as an informed, objective assessment? Or the ranting of a fan with a sense of entitlement, upset that we turned them over, with Fammy scoring and giving their defence a hard time?

And if Afobe is so bad why did they pay £12m for him?

Perhaps we should swap Fammy for Berahino? 

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He was much more effective than Afobe yesterday - cost £7m less too with probably a lot less service yet scored more goals. 

I’m sure he’ll continue to score 1 in 2 yet be questioned. 

Unless we expect perfect all round players at a mid table Championship club perhaps we should focus more on what they can do well rather than on what they can't?

As you say, he has a good scoring record. Not a bad trait in a striker.

I think Fam, even more than the average striker, is a confidence player. 

When his tail is up, he's virtually unplayable: majestic. A few bad misses, a ref not giving him fairness, multiple other off-putting factors and he's back to "can't trap a bag of cement" "can't stay on his feet" etc.

Ultimately, you can't argue with his goal return stats, which are very good. 

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

All I can say is that he must get across his marker regularly in training as he certainly doesn't do it that often in matches and if I had to rank him for that particular aspect of his game I would say he's one of, if not the worst, in this division. Although he is probably one of the best headers of a ball in the division.

That’s what he meant

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I agree...shame.

Could you see MT playing alongside Brownhill (replacing Pato) and us playing 4141, with licence to break forward?

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Spot on.  Although he has done it twice this season (!!!) and scored twice.  LJ really needs to get it into Fam’s brain that the run towards the ball from crosses is more likely to yield results, and the cross doesn’t need to be perfect.  Having said that Hunt’s delivery for Webster and Fam’s headers has been just that...perfect.

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think Fam, even more than the average striker, is a confidence player. 

When his tail is up, he's virtually unplayable: majestic. A few bad misses, a ref not giving him fairness, multiple other off-putting factors and he's back to "can't trap a bag of cement" "can't stay on his feet" etc.

Ultimately, you can't argue with his goal return stats, which are very good. 

...and plenty of strikers are given the label ‘Fox in the box’ because they do little else but score.  Typically they are little nippy players, but Fam is bloody dangerous once inside the box.  The way he played in France is so different to over here, and it’s not his natural game.  If you go back and look at Fam’s and Kodjia’s goals for Angers, whilst very different players, you’ll see a lot of similar goals.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

...and plenty of strikers are given the label ‘Fox in the box’ because they do little else but score.  Typically they are little nippy players, but Fam is bloody dangerous once inside the box.  The way he played in France is so different to over here, and it’s not his natural game.  If you go back and look at Fam’s and Kodjia’s goals for Angers, whilst very different players, you’ll see a lot of similar goals.

Very true, Dave.

I could have added that Fam is usually a pretty handy defender of set pieces, although he has made two notable lapses recently. 

16 hours ago, JonDolman said:

5.3m looking like a good bit of business. We'd get double that for him now imo.

If you can get 'nigh on eleven mil for 'him  ??..then you'd best get the deal done & please take the lolly while we can!!.(re; Kodjia)...good business indeed,and that's what the club is all about now.

Archived