IGNORED

What has happened to football?

normanhillred

Don’t get me wrong we were poor and probably deserved to lose to a team that were also poor, we generally do down here to to PNE. When did blatant cheating and feigning injury become acceptable and fully endorsed by the refs? How can they happily carry on an attack with a guy so clearly injured he cannot stand and call for support only for them to miss a shot and the ref to stop it? Sadly on the 100 year anniversary of the Great and most brutal of all wars feigning injury is now approved and fully endorsed? Sad times 

It did seem like Preston were getting plenty of dodgy free kick decisions, the ref was terrible and why did he let Preston continue and have a chance while one of their players (Pearson was it?) was on the floor, then as soon as we attack with the ball he blows up and stops play? farcical...

11 minutes ago, normanhillred said:

Don’t get me wrong we were poor and probably deserved to lose to a team that were also poor, we generally do down here to to PNE. When did blatant cheating and feigning injury become acceptable and fully endorsed by the refs? How can they happily carry on an attack with a guy so clearly injured he cannot stand and call for support only for them to miss a shot and the ref to stop it? Sadly on the 100 year anniversary of the Great and most brutal of all wars feigning injury is now approved and fully endorsed? Sad times 

What the actual **** has the first world war got to do with that game of football ffs? Are you serious?

This post is absolutely spot on and is exactly how I feel. The game is getting ruined and by shit refs that don't understand the game. That one incident where there bloke is down and one of there players is bearing down on goal sums it up! As soon as we had the ball  he blows up as there bloke is holding his head. Bloody joke!!! Happens everyone agaisnt teams like Preston, Cardiff and other shit teams!! 

4 minutes ago, normanhillred said:

Not a lot but it was analogy to the fact that people used to go down because they were injured rather than not injured.

Not a lot but it was analogy to the fact that people used to go down because they were injured rather than not injured.

Haha, when their legs were blown off or guts strewn all over no man's land do you mean?

Bit different to a tap off of a defender isn't it. I just find it a facile, pointless comparison but there we go.

That was the worst bit of refereeing I've ever seen at championship level. Pearson tripped over his own player, went down holding his face. They attack and decide against kicking it out, the ball comes to maepenaa who starts an attack for us and the referee blows. 

Honestly, never seen anything like it. The refs at manor farm are stronger willed than that

1 hour ago, normanhillred said:

You can say that again 

49 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

That was the worst bit of refereeing I've ever seen at championship level. Pearson tripped over his own player, went down holding his face. They attack and decide against kicking it out, the ball comes to maepenaa who starts an attack for us and the referee blows. 

Honestly, never seen anything like it. The refs at manor farm are stronger willed than that

Then when he eventually receives treatment it’s to his legs not his face!

I’m saddened by the time wasting antics that go on and particularly how long each and every restart of play takes. Goal kicks, throw ins, free kicks and corners all involve the same nonsense which needs to be addressed somehow. The only practical suggestion I can think of is a maximum permissible time being allowed to restart the game following any stoppage or dead ball situation. If the max time is exceeded the ref restarts with the opposition having the ball and adding, say a minute, to the game. This however, would fundamentally change the game. Nevertheless, unless something is done the time wasting will simply continue and likely get even worse.

We knew to expect it of Preston and yet we let them do it. 

Taylor replaced the ball twice for the keeper but both times put it in the opposite side than the keeper had taken all his goal kicks!! 

After one restart/drop ball, we hit it into their half out of play, this allowing them to take another 50 seconds to take the goal kick. We should’ve passed it to the CB and then pressured him immediately. 

We played into their hands somewhat. 

That said, it’s bloody ridiculous and the refs need to be more strict early in games and put a stop to it taking 45 seconds to take a goal kick. And where had the 6-second rule gone. It seems keepers are allowed nearly 20 seconds these days. 

Refs could easily enforce this better. But City didn’t do ourselves any favours today and played into their hands. We were so naive. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

We knew to expect it of Preston and yet we let them do it. 

Taylor replaced the ball twice for the keeper but both times put it in the opposite side than the keeper had taken all his goal kicks!! 

After one restart/drop ball, we hit it into their half out of play, this allowing them to take another 50 seconds to take the goal kick. We should’ve passed it to the CB and then pressured him immediately

We played into their hands somewhat. 

That said, it’s bloody ridiculous and the refs need to be more strict early in games and put a stop to it taking 45 seconds to take a goal kick. And where had the 6-second rule gone. It seems keepers are allowed nearly 20 seconds these days. 

Refs could easily enforce this better. But City didn’t do ourselves any favours today and played into their hands. We were so naive. 

Harry I think you have hit on something there. That is a great idea, other than the refs insisting on all drop balls being contested I think your idea is a great option.

He was  conned by the Preston players many times but with the Pearson incident I think he had enough of them play acting and decided to play on. It was just unfortunate that he lost his nerve when City were attacking and got treatment for Pearson who was again play acting. 

It's a sad fact that this goes on but the only answer is for City to employ similar tactics with weak referees when we are winning and under the cosh

Anyone else see Gallagher when he was sat on his arse during one of his numerous fake injuries gesture to Rudd to take his time with a goal kick?

Agree about the stopping play incident - it`s up there in my top ten shambolic refereeing decisions that I`ve ever seen. Rarely have I seen the entire home crowd on it`s feet screaming in unison at a decision but it happened today.

Archived