IGNORED

Moments silence

Pezo

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Doesn’t really matter whether it’s marked by a minutes silence, or a minutes applause. 

The important thing is that it’s respectfully acknowledged, which it was. 

I understand that but it is meant to be a minutes silence.

i think Downsy (through no fault of his own) did mess up slightly, he should had said the passage would be read and then after that go “there will be a minute silence on the refs whistle”.

it was a total cock up really.

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Doesn’t really matter whether it’s marked by a minutes silence, or a minutes applause. 

The important thing is that it’s respectfully acknowledged, which it was. 

I agree but a minutes clapping is a relatively new thing and is usually reserved to remembering the football community, armistice day is remembered by a minutes silence. I'm not saying it does but the question has to be asked does it lack respect to not understand the difference? 

38 minutes ago, Roe said:

Not that it matters a great deal as people were only trying to be respectful, but yes.

"We'd like you all to observe a moment's silence on the referee's whistle"

*ref blows whistle* *crowd starts clapping*

Brilliant.

He also said something about "reflection", not something clapping usually encourages. 

53 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Along with everything else today did we manage to cock up our minutes silence/rememberance? 

Sadly yes. I would be amazed if any other football crowds applauded today as many of our supporters did.

As an act of remembrance and reflection a period of silence  has been observed for as long as I can remember, but not today.

The ignorance of those who began to applaud, and those who joined in, beggars belief.

This was indeed a shambles. 

The PA quite clearly said “after the Last Post, please observe a moments silence upon the refs whistle”. 

The fact people couldn’t understand that simple instruction says a lot about the intelligence of some of our fans!! 

Can only assume they thought the refs whistle signalled the end of the “moment of reflection”. But my word, what a bloody shambles. 

Still, long and short of it is, everyone did what they thought was right so respect was shown in a way, but I just could not believe what happened. 

4 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

Sadly yes. I would be amazed if any other football crowds applauded today as many of our supporters did.

As an act of remembrance and reflection a period of silence  has been observed for as long as I can remember, but not today.

The ignorance of those who began to applaud, and those who joined in, beggars belief.

Relax. As a stadium we respectfully honoured those who made the ultimate sacrifice. If you feel so strongly about this, you shouldn’t really need a mass organised period to reflect. 

It kinda summed the whole thing up, the recital in the most West Country I have heard in a while, the last stand where the bugler struggled repeatedly to hit certain notes, and the the minutes silence which I think maybe just down to the clapping to remember fans as a lot of younger people tend to not come across a minutes silence often, and once some started clapping you either all go for it or your left with an even more embarrassing mess.

gonna pop over to the PNE and see how shocked they were :clapping:

It's just that this happens every year..same time every year. Turn up, last post, stand silently for a minute and think how lucky you are to not be running at machine guns in some godforsaken Belgian field and how thankful you are that your grandad and his mates did do that, then watch the football.

It's not a surprise. You shouldn't even need 'Downsy' to tell you how to do it.

12 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

It wasn’t ignorance, it was an unfortunate misunderstanding. There is a huge difference.

4 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Relax. As a stadium we respectfully honoured those who made the ultimate sacrifice. If you feel so strongly about this, you shouldn’t really need a mass organised period to reflect. 

What is feeling strongly that a period of silence should have been observed as it always has been got to do with the shambles that took place?

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's just that this happens every year..same time every year. Turn up, last post, stand silently for a minute and think how lucky you are to not be running at machine guns in some godforsaken Belgian field and how thankful you are that your grandad and his mates did do that, then watch the football.

It's not a surprise. You shouldn't even need 'Downsy' to tell you how to do it.

Which is sad, is it not? Rememberance has become somewhat of a ‘token gesture’. It shouldn’t have to be done in any particular way, at an exact time. It should actually mean something to anyone that’s taking part.

10 minutes ago, Fiale said:

It kinda summed the whole thing up, the recital in the most West Country I have heard in a while, the last stand where the bugler struggled repeatedly to hit certain notes, and the the minutes silence which I think maybe just down to the clapping to remember fans as a lot of younger people tend to not come across a minutes silence often, and once some started clapping you either all go for it or your left with an even more embarrassing mess.

gonna pop over to the PNE and see how shocked they were :clapping:

Yeah, could we really not have got an orator with slight lest grizzled west country tones? 

And yeah the bugle wasn't great either. Shame really! But hope that the moments of silence that were had were seen as a respectable rememberance. 

As an ex serviceman who also was taught to listen to instructions., I was gobsmacked when the clapping started after crystal clear instructions were given to one and all. Thankfully , the dead would laugh about it and say they havent learned anything since 1909 ! I believe not one person at AG had any disrespect for our fallen but if we have another world war and The Ashton Battalion is involved I think I will respectfully stay at the back !!!

I must admit I prefer a minutes silence under all circumstances over the minutes applause, if people shout out it gives everyone a chance to spot the pricks and weed them out socially distancing them from decent people it also gives a fair understanding of the level of respect widely felt - this "cure" of clapping allows disrespectful people a free pass and is maybe socially worse than the original problem.

Archived