IGNORED

Moments silence

Pezo

16 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I don't think that would have saved us yesterday as people seem to think that a minutes applause is the done thing now no matter what is instructed. 

Unfortunately I think clubs in general have started to change other minutes silence (not remembrance one) to applause because a minority of idiots can’t keep their mouths shut and applause covers this up

44 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I don't think that would have saved us yesterday as people seem to think that a minutes applause is the done thing now no matter what is instructed. 

I genuinely don’t think anyone was trying to replace the silence with a minutes applause. It was a misunderstanding following the bugle that snowballed.

It was just a very unfortunate incident.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I genuinely don’t think anyone was trying to replace the silence with a minutes applause. It was a misunderstanding following the bugle that snowballed.

There was confusion in the concourse as well. Once the last post had been played some of the stewards allowed people to start walking up to their seats, where we had all been held back beforehand.

Although the minute's applause was a misguided show of respect, I felt especially sad that the silence hadn't been observed because this year is especially poignant as it marks the 100th anniversary, as we know, of the ending of the Great War in 1918. If the Tommies who perished in that conflict were looking down they would have been touched that their sacrifice was still being remembered and ceremonies conducted a century on. However, they wouldn't have understood the applause when the call was for silence to remember them and might even have thought it was some kind of joke.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Well evidently there was a misunderstanding, unless you are seriously claiming that those that started the clapping deliberately set out to disturb the minute’s silence? That’s clearly a ridiculous thing to suggest.

No I’m not suggesting that, in the age when any tragic event occurs people are so quick to take to social media and virtue signal how much there care and claim to be so upset and full of sympathy for what happen by taking 30 seconds to write a tweet .

But when we are all gather has one has a community people don’t know how to conduct themselves in a dignified manner.

5 minutes ago, bs3 said:

No I’m not suggesting that, in the age when any tragic event occurs people are so quick to take to social media and virtue signal how much there care and claim to be so upset and full of sympathy for what happen by taking 30 seconds to write a tweet .

But when we are all gather has one has a community people don’t know how to conduct themselves in a dignified manner.

A lack of dignity has nothing to do with what happened. People know how to do a minutes silence and we’ve done it impeccably as a club many times before. It was simply a very unfortunate misunderstanding.

24 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don't think anyone was activly trying to replace the silence with a minutes applause, I think it's a general misunderstanding that we always do a minutes applause now. It only takes a few to mess it up and a lot of others feel the need to join in as they are unsure.

2 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I don't think anyone was activly trying to replace the silence with a minutes applause, I think it's a general misunderstanding that we always do a minutes applause now. It only takes a few to mess it up and a lot of others feel the need to join in as they are unsure.

I’m not even sure it was that. I think a few people were applauding the bugler, thinking that the whistle marked the end of proceedings. And it snowballed from there as everyone panicked and joined in.

Just my interpretation of what occurred.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’m not even sure it was that. I think a few people were applauding the bugler, thinking that the whistle marked the end of proceedings. And it snowballed from there as everyone panicked and joined in.

Just my interpretation of what occurred.

I guess we're both assuming as we can't ask the people involved, it may have been a bit of both. Fancy agreeing that we could both be correct?

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’m sorry, but I thought that reading the poem and having the last post was inappropriate.  It wasn’t Remembrance Sunday or armistice day after all.  A simple minute’s silence would have sufficed, and had more dignity I think, without all the add-ons.

Exactly this.

There seems to almost be a competition to see who can remember most conspicuously these days, in football and the wider country. Simplicity is far more dignified imo.

7 hours ago, Pezo said:

So are you saying that the last post should be reserved for the Sunday or Armistice day at 11:11 only rather than be used to mark rememberance when it done? 

Belgium Menim Gate every night since 1928 @20:00 gratitude by the Belgians for the allied help .

It’s the ones who started the applause I’d aim the blame at, the majority who joined in where probably caught by surprise and then caught in 2 minds, but the instructions were clear as day.

As for the two faced Sags who are reading, and sticking the boot in and trying to point score on such a low level, aren’t you the ones trying to flog a Memorial site?

1 minute ago, RedLionLad said:

There was no mention of a minute's silence yesterday, it was mentioned as a period of silence. Can't recall ever hearing that before.

Yes your correct their was, but apart from the young ones, who needs telling that this means a minutes silence? Thick as shit if anyone needs reminding of that.

2 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Yes your correct their was, but apart from the young ones, who needs telling that this means a minutes silence? Thick as shit if anyone needs reminding of that.

So what do you think caused the confusion then......as I'm pretty sure the majority there yesterday understand what it means?

Saying people are 'thick as shit' doesn't explain why things went wrong yesterday.......and most fans around me are not youngsters either?

8 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

So what do you think caused the confusion then......as I'm pretty sure the majority there yesterday understand what it means?

Saying people are 'thick as shit' doesn't explain why things went wrong yesterday.......and most fans around me are not youngsters either?

Not a clue why anyone would start clapping anyway, but as I said before the majority including the officials and players were caught in 2 minds so just went along with it, the people that started the clapping  obviously were thick as shit as it was said over the PA about the ‘period of silence on the referees whistle’ which was also clearly written on the 2 giant screens. 

Archived