IGNORED

Absolute shambles today..

Robbored

Dreadful performance throughout. City were utterly clueless. The worst performance I’ve seen in ages. They could barely put three passes together against a side who’ve been struggling all season. Very very disappointing............:facepalm:

Where did it go wrong?  Is LJ overthinking the tactical element of the game and setting up to counter the opposition strengths? I know it worked against the Blades but it hasn’t worked since. Surely when at AG he should set up to our strengths and let the opposition worry about us?

Was it the team selection? As most of us wanted Walsh got a start but LJ had told the team to be more direct to counter PNE style and the ball was going over his head for much of the game and he gets subbed after an hour. The out of form Pack stayed on.......

Famara looks utterly bereft of confidence and struggled until he was subbed but cheers when his number went up was unacceptable imv. Any confidence he had will certainly be gone after that. 

Losing at home in such a shambolic fashion is the last thing any team needs before the international break especially no game until the 24th November away at Elland Rd. 

Hopefullly LJ will have got things sorted out in training by then.

26 minutes ago, cityboy said:

Worse than that. It was boring.

I agree, I didn't mind losing against Stoke because the second half was great (and Butland better) but we haven't played well for ages at home.

A "lucky" goal against Sheffield United and a very late goal against Hull have allowed us to think points are the most important result.

In reality we will not be promoted with this team, so I would prefer we play entertaining football rather than this aimless nonsense.

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Dreadful performance throughout. City were utterly clueless. The worst performance I’ve seen in ages. They could barely put three passes together against a side who’ve been struggling all season. Very very disappointing............:facepalm:

Where did it go wrong?  Is LJ overthinking the tactical element of the game and setting up to counter the opposition strengths? I know it worked against the Blades but it hasn’t worked since. Surely when at AG he should set up to our strengths and let the opposition worry about us?

Was it the team selection? As most of us wanted Walsh got a start but LJ had told the team to be more direct to counter PNE style and the ball was going over his head for much of the game and he gets subbed after an hour. The out of form Pack stayed on.......

Famara looks utterly bereft of confidence and struggled until he was subbed but cheers when his number went up was unacceptable imv. Any confidence he had will certainly be gone after that. 

Losing at home in such a shambolic fashion is the last thing any team needs before the international break especially no game until the 24th November away at Elland Rd. 

Sorry mate just posted on another thread that you had been quiet but fair play you have provided your summary and agree with it.

do you still have confidence in lee to move us forward?

3 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Sorry mate just posted on another thread that you had been quiet but fair play you have provided your summary and agree with it.

do you still have confidence in lee to move us forward?

I want LJ to be a success but that want takes a serious knock when we witness the shambles of today.

As I posted in the OP, It confuses me as to where such a dire performance comes from.............:dunno:

I’ll admit that as I left AG it occurred to me that maybe, just maybe SL is running out of patience with LJ....

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I want LJ to be a success but that want takes a serious knock when we witness the shambles of today.

As I posted in the OP, It confuses me as to where such a dire performance comes from.............:dunno:

I’ll admit that as I left AG it occurred to me that maybe, just maybe SL is running out of patience with LJ....

I think we don't have options up front at the moment and it's hard to say let's drop in Mo because he's not really a nailed on cert.  I worry Lee is overthinking as a result trying to get goals from the midfield.  But it makes us lose our shape and people get confused and frustrated.  I think at the moment a 3 5 2 back to basics performance is what's needed to stop the rot.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Trouble in't camp...'just not together in any way,shape or form as a group....

Some kind of bust up/falling out...not a happy bunch right now,it's that simple.

Not "itk" in any way but my gut instinct after many years of 'honing ain't usually far from the truth..

Fair play @Robbored you have your moments on OTIB, but that is spot on.

The worst thing about it is that in literally every respect it was a continuation of the Reading game, what on gods earth have we done for a week? You know what the problems are so you repeat them almost immediately and for a further 90 minutes.

There are some clubs where that alone would be enough to get sacked.

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I agree, I didn't mind losing against Stoke because the second half was great (and Butland better) but we haven't played well for ages at home.

A "lucky" goal against Sheffield United and a very late goal against Hull have allowed us to think points are the most important result.

In reality we will not be promoted with this team, so I would prefer we play entertaining football rather than this aimless nonsense.

Promoted?! Relegated maybe.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Almost a carbon copy of the same game last season. They score, fein injury, waste time and the game loses any purpose or flow.

We have no one to get the team or fans pumped up to regain any momentum in games

We are average, one paced, pedestrian and do not have the personnel to do anything in this division 

I have always been a Johnson in person but I am struggling to see what direction the team are going at the moment and yes we lost what I consider were 3 decent players but nowhere near as good as some seem to think they were. If SL has any balls he would be looking for the next coach now as Johnson has had more than enough time, money and transfer windows to build a decent squad

It’s like a lucky dip as to the side and formation LJ will put out each game so it’s hardly surprising we are so inconsistent. Pick what you think is your best team and stick to it ffs

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

You hear the words "over thinking" when people talk about LJ ovef and over. And i think that's spot on. 

It’s part of every team to analyse the next opposition. It’s normal practice to inform your team who their star man is and the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition players and that should be enough but LJ gives the impression that he takes the usual analysis just that bit further. It’s gets over complicated especially at AG. I think we saw evidence of that today.

LJ sometimes tells players to ‘keep it simple’ and maybe he should take his own advice when playing at home.

We were out-thought, out-fought and the game was lost before a ball had been kicked. We all sat there waiting for the same result as last season, and lo and behold we lose again at home to our bogey team. The capitulation was pitiful. Yes Preston are annoying, niggling cheats, but they also played better than us, especially up front.

Our form this calendar year has been bottom 6 at best. We have only won 10 games since January, including cup games. And there is no evidence that it is going to get better any time soon. At this rate come Christmas, we will be in a relegation battle, and the Ipswich away game will be a 6-pointer.

We playfully don’t always agree but I find it hard to disagree with anything you have written.

Outfought, outclassed and outdone in every department today. We only lost 1-0 but were soundly beaten. I would rather put up a fight and see us thrashed 5-0 than just roll over like we did today. 

My Preston friend is wondering why the hell I watch Bristol City every week as pretty much every time we have played them over the past few years we have be absolutely dire. I want to be proud of my team, but today ( and I don’t say this lightly) I was ashamed.

Long time since we 'Bounced Around The Ground' …. when is Ashton Gate gonna be fun and exciting again? 

I don't even mind losing, that's all part of it, BUT not if the passion is missing, that is unforgivable, get out there on the pitch and jump to it, be up for it, have a bloody good go.... & that will transfer to the stands, the buzz will be back and the support will be bouncing again.... Come On You Reds, it's up to you, together we can get that bounce back and The Gate will feel like home again...

These lot down under have got the right idea, a little of what they have on the pitch wouldn't go amiss, and would be far better than the rubbish out there today …  we could learn something from them.. let's bounce, cos when we get it going, nobody does it better... 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/animals/kangaroos-invade-kids-soccer-game/vi-BBPwk1c?ocid=spartanntp

(dammit, video link not working, anyway it was a mob of pitch invading kangaroos, enthusiastically bouncing around the ground.. Oop's seems it does work afterall.. Maybe our tactics will work eventually too eh? )

20 minutes ago, RedM said:

My Preston friend is wondering why the hell I watch Bristol City every week as pretty much every time we have played them over the past few years we have be absolutely dire. I want to be proud of my team, but today ( and I don’t say this lightly) I was ashamed.

I’m sure we all want to be proud of the team that represents our club but Preston do seem to have the Indian sign over us. Their record at AG is excellent and I’m struggling to remember when we last beat them.

Feeling ashamed is a powerful statement but for me it was simply a huge disappointment. That said, given PNEs record against us I should have expected it.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m sure we all want to be proud of the team that represents our club but Preston do seem to have the Indian sign over us. Their record at AG is excellent and I’m struggling to remember when we last beat them.

Feeling ashamed is a powerful statement but for me  was simply huge disappointment. That said, given PNEs record against us I should have expected it.

I was ashamed we didn’t seem to have any fight, passion or belief in us today. Never mind the things we might desire to see like excitement, skill and entertainment.

As others have said, and I’m not comparing a football match to world wars, it was heightened as today of all days we remembered those who truly had something about them.

As for Preston, and it could have been anyone who beat us today, we can’t go thinking we never beat them so we never will. We should be approaching any match, whether against ManU or Weston Super Mare with a desire and belief that we can win and it is important to play as a team.

In recent years we have been through some poor times, but you could see there were players who would run through brick walls for eachother. We had several leaders on the pitch, now we are rudderless.

I’m sure I will sleep on this and feel better in the morning, but right now I don’t think I’m feeling very forgiving. They will have to earn a bit of goodwill back, and soon. As I said I can take defeat, but not like that.

1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I think we don't have options up front at the moment and it's hard to say let's drop in Mo because he's not really a nailed on cert.  I worry Lee is overthinking as a result trying to get goals from the midfield.  But it makes us lose our shape and people get confused and frustrated.  I think at the moment a 3 5 2 back to basics performance is what's needed to stop the rot.

What , like the 3-5-2 he cobbled and fudged together today , you mean

Which the players looked totally confused by , and unable to operate

genius

53 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

You hear the words "over thinking" when people talk about LJ ovef and over. And i think that's spot on. 

Does Pep prepare for Cardiff by chopping and changing team selection, formation and playing style in order to counter Warnock's perceived threat?

Does Klopp play one up front and a 5 man defence when facing Fulham at Anfield, to counter Fulham's perceived threat?

I'm not suggesting we are in the same bracket, ability wise, but I've long wondered whether LJ thinks he proves or establishes his coaching credentials by showing how clever he is by being able to chop and change , depending on the opposition, and in so doing is "over thinking" things. 

As so many others have commented, no one seems sure what our playing style is this season, and even allowing for injuries ( he has been unlucky in this respect both this and last season) with all the chopping and changing of players and formations I can't see how the players themselves can be sure what our chosen style is.

Why can players like Elliason and Weimann go from being on fire early in the season , to becoming bit part players come the Autumn, and I think is it down to LJ not playing to our strengths and not being prepared to play a settled side?

I don't think we can afford another LJ annual slump happening this early in the season, as with the division so very tight this season the early season play off challenge could all to easily become a relegation fight. For all those that think that LJ's position is secure with SL, I'm not so sure that after the previous seasons track record of major slumps in form , yet another might be one too many for the owner.

Please sort it out LJ before it's too late for the club and you. 

39 minutes ago, RedM said:

We playfully don’t always agree but I find it hard to disagree with anything you have written.

Outfought, outclassed and outdone in every department today. We only lost 1-0 but were soundly beaten. I would rather put up a fight and see us thrashed 5-0 than just roll over like we did today. 

As 'me X Mrs (the one that looked like Nigella) once said ; "were's all the passion gone" ???................................

1 hour ago, Slack Bladder said:

I really couldn't see what we were trying to achieve today.

It was utter dog shite and has been for a while.

This time last year we were playing some of the best football I have witnessed down The Gate and I really couldn't wait for the next game.

Now, I am glad I haven't got to see them for a couple of weeks.

I think the same feeling is felt by most fans, last season was the best for many years until 2018 saw us become a shadow of the team that killed off Man U.

we may have lost 3 players, but realistically only 2 of them were truly missed, the current form can only be blamed on team selection and tactics, we proved that starting the season without FD!

We have to get rid of tinkerman if we are to progress! And before you say it, when he came here we had begun our recovery BEFORE he was appointed, really pisses me off when he is credited with that recovery!

I am not a 'happy clapper' and I hate the merry go round of hiring and firing managers. As if that is a magic wand, it is not.  You end up in a whole heap more smelly stuff than before !?  For that reason I have always supported SL in keeping LJ.

BUT.. what really gets up my goat is the 'twaddle' LJ often spouts, and the rest of his 'staff'  I challenge anyone to listen to the 7 minute i/v or his comments which were on the main site last Friday and not shake your head.  He claims we are capable of going on a 5 match winning run ! We have been unlucky.  We have  hit a post 9 times this season.  Decisions have gone against us re key decisions & this is admitted by refereeing  reports.

Not once is their an admittance that on many occasions this season we have been clueless and woeful.  Today, Wigan and more. A few times we have been decent, and lost, and a few games we have 'won' when we pulled a rabbit out the bag.

However, at the start of the season SL gave a really good I/V when he said he expects improvement each season. Well...... It will be an interesting few weeks if we lose at Leeds and end a few places of the bottom 3 ! 

We have just one player with the ability to run at the opposition at pace, COD, and he seems to be out of favour. I guessed this season may be tricky, losing 3 key players and modest purchases, but we seem clueless and shapeless. 4-4-2 seems to suit us best, so why mess around with it? As we see so often, just having a consistent shape and being organised is half the battle when you are struggling for form.

5 minutes ago, Chappers said:

We have just one player with the ability to run at the opposition at pace, COD, and he seems to be out of favour. I guessed this season may be tricky, losing 3 key players and modest purchases, but we seem clueless and shapeless. 4-4-2 seems to suit us best, so why mess around with it? As we see so often, just having a consistent shape and being organised is half the battle when you are struggling for form.

Then play the team that played second half against Stoke.  Not rocket science is it.  4 3 3  what ever, 

Too right it is an abosolute shambles. It will continue to be so as long as LJ sets up the team to suit the opposition. He needs to sort out the way he wants to play and the players he considers the best in that formation and stick with the formation and players for half a dozen games. 

Our players are not good enough for continual  chopping and changing  personal and formation. 

Pick a team and and players and stick with it. 

2 hours ago, Slack Bladder said:

This time last year we were playing some of the best football I have witnessed down The Gate and I really couldn't wait for the next game.

Now, I am glad I haven't got to see them for a couple of weeks.

Jeez I said the same thing to my son today literally word for word.

Gutted to see how our performances have fallen away, I see from other comments posted on OTIB that season ticket holders are starting to pick their matches rather than go to every game - sad to say we are thinking of doing the same thing. I wonder how low the attendance will need to go before SL shares our concerns.

I never agreed with decision to appoint LJ but as the man in the chair I've always supported him - I have to say now though it looks like we are going to have to do some stunning business in the January transfer window, me I really don't want LJ to be the one buying in any more players for his 'style of football'.

One last thing I just cannot understand the calls for Moyes - the guy hasnt had a decent track record for years and I thought we were all trying to get away from jobs for the old city boys - backward step in my opinion.

Onwards and (hopefully) upwards. COYR

Archived