IGNORED

Placebo?

Davefevs

I once went on a course at Warwick Business School where one of the modules was a Call Centre simulation.  We had 4 levers that we could pull to keep call volumes within a given range, as over time the call rates fluctuated for various reasons.  Those levers were things like Overtime, Time Off, Praise / Bonuses and Coaching 9sonething like that).  As we moved the levers up and down we were supposed to analysis the impact.

Over the simulation we moved the levers up and down as a group, sometimes multiple levers at the same time.  Sometimes it worked and the call volumes came down to manageable levels, sometimes the call volumes spiked.

At the end of the simulation we were told that two of the levers were placebos, and had no impact, yet we subconsciously thought they did.

Today I reached the view that Johnson has a set of levers, but actually has no understanding of which ones to pull up or down, in what sequence, or whether more than one at a time.  As a result, I’m now beginning to understand that Johnson’s management itself is a placebo, it has no direct affect on good performances - yet subconsciously we’ve give him praise, tactical genius and all that.  It is lucky pulling of the levers!  It also in comparison has no direct influence on bad performances.  Basically he’s guessing (over thinking / over complicating if want to be polite) at what might work, what might not work.

Worse still - today his attempt to match them up.  What did we play first half? 532/352.  What did Preston play?  Not 532/352.  Just listening to Geoff Twentyman, and most callers said we match them up.  I don’t see how a front 3 of Barkhuisen on the right, Maguire in the Centre and Robinson on the left followed by a midfield 3 of a rotating, flexible Gallagher, Johnson and Pearson can possibly mean we matched them up.

He got his starting system wrong....full stop.  Okay, not full stop, I missed the word “again”....he got his starting system wrong again.

The only bright spots for me in the first half were a few bits of interplay between Weimann and Hunt down the right that created threatening crossing positions, ultimately not getting on the end of them, or Diedhiou getting under a header.  In fairness Preston defended decent crosses well.

Our back 3....most would expect us to line up left to right -  Baker, Webster, Kalas.  But that leaves Baker exposed down the channels, so LJ went Webster, Baker, Kalas.  Baker actually did ok today, but it allowed Preston to deny Webster space, as when played central, or even left in a two, much more room.

Our midfield 3....or Pack on his own, because Walsh and Brownhill (most of all) sat on top of Diedhiou and Weimann, condensing space in the vital area of the pitch where it’s difficult to find pockets, but also leaving huge gaps for Pack, Kalas and Webster to try to find a team mate.  Walsh when he did come deeper, was a bit better.

Too many things wrong.  Just the simple how to combat Preston’s way, looks to me like we under-prepared, or through the plan out the window.  You know they are gonna stand on every free-kick, just kick it at them and force the ref into cards.  You know they are gonna go down , clutching body parts at the slightest touch.  Either don’t touch them, or effin’ make it worth your while.  Soft again today.

It was Preston away in 16/17 season that prompted my only ever LJ Out, despite my criticism.  Even as a Cotts fan I still criticised him.  Today, it was Preston again, and I really do think his time is up in my eyes.  I know that has no sway in the boardroom, but I can only see one way he can change my view - play the same side in the same style week in / week out.  I don’t think he will, so in my mind, my thoughts are set.  It’s a shame, because I wanted him to succeed, he has the club at his heart, but alas, I can’t see him succeeding.

The bizarre thing is we are only 13th, but looking down imho.  The play-off flirtation looks a distant dream.  Drifting towards a relegation battle looks more likely.

I’ve tried and tried to believe it will work with LJ but it’s over in my head.  Might seem drastic, but it’s nit just after today’s game, it’s built all season.

Must go and check to see if anyone won by £1 pick the team challenge!!

‘ Johnson’s management itself is a placebo, it is has no direct affect on good performances - yet subconsciously we’ve give him praise, tactical genius and all that.  It is lucky pulling of the levers! ‘

How long have I been saying this Dave ? Said the very thing when we had the pre match gab the other week

If we don’t act we are heading for one almighty relegation fight

Complete embarrassing shambles

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I once went on a course at Warwick Business School where one of the modules was a Call Centre simulation.  We had 4 levers that we could pull to keep call volumes within a given range, as over time the call rates fluctuated for various reasons.  Those levers were things like Overtime, Time Off, Praise / Bonuses and Coaching 9sonething like that).  As we moved the levers up and down we were supposed to analysis the impact.

Over the simulation we moved the levers up and down as a group, sometimes multiple levers at the same time.  Sometimes it worked and the call volumes came down to manageable levels, sometimes the call volumes spiked.

At the end of the simulation we were told that two of the levers were placebos, and had no impact, yet we subconsciously thought they did.

Today I reached the view that Johnson has a set of levers, but actually has no understanding of which ones to pull up or down, in what sequence, or whether more than one at a time.  As a result, I’m now beginning to understand that Johnson’s management itself is a placebo, it has no direct affect on good performances - yet subconsciously we’ve give him praise, tactical genius and all that.  It is lucky pulling of the levers!  It also in comparison has no direct influence on bad performances.  Basically he’s guessing (over thinking / over complicating if want to be polite) at what might work, what might not work.

Worse still - today his attempt to match them up.  What did we play first half? 532/352.  What did Preston play?  Not 532/352.  Just listening to Geoff Twentyman, and most callers said we match them up.  I don’t see how a front 3 of Barkhuisen on the right, Maguire in the Centre and Robinson on the left followed by a midfield 3 of a rotating, flexible Gallagher, Johnson and Pearson can possibly mean we matched them up.

He got his starting system wrong....full stop.  Okay, not full stop, I missed the word “again”....he got his starting system wrong again.

The only bright spots for me in the first half were a few bits of interplay between Weimann and Hunt down the right that created threatening crossing positions, ultimately not getting on the end of them, or Diedhiou getting under a header.  In fairness Preston defended decent crosses well.

Our back 3....most would expect us to line up left to right -  Baker, Webster, Kalas.  But that leaves Baker exposed down the channels, so LJ went Webster, Baker, Kalas.  Baker actually did ok today, but it allowed Preston to deny Webster space, as when played central, or even left in a two, much more room.

Our midfield 3....or Pack on his own, because Walsh and Brownhill (most of all) sat on top of Diedhiou and Weimann, condensing space in the vital area of the pitch where it’s difficult to find pockets, but also leaving huge gaps for Pack, Kalas and Webster to try to find a team mate.  Walsh when he did come deeper, was a bit better.

Too many things wrong.  Just the simple how to combat Preston’s way, looks to me like we under-prepared, or through the plan out the window.  You know they are gonna stand on every free-kick, just kick it at them and force the ref into cards.  You know they are gonna go down , clutching body parts at the slightest touch.  Either don’t touch them, or effin’ make it worth your while.  Soft again today.

It was Preston away in 16/17 season that prompted my only ever LJ Out, despite my criticism.  Even as a Cotts fan I still criticised him.  Today, it was Preston again, and I really do think his time is up in my eyes.  I know that has no sway in the boardroom, but I can only see one way he can change my view - play the same side in the same style week in / week out.  I don’t think he will, so in my mind, my thoughts are set.  It’s a shame, because I wanted him to succeed, he has the club at his heart, but alas, I can’t see him succeeding.

The bizarre thing is we are only 13th, but looking down imho.  The play-off flirtation looks a distant dream.  Drifting towards a relegation battle looks more likely.

I’ve tried and tried to believe it will work with LJ but it’s over in my head.  Might seem drastic, but it’s nit just after today’s game, it’s built all season.

This is exactly how I feel. Great post. I’m not articulate enough to pen something like this but +1 from me.

Was reading through the forum and remarked to the wife (we were at the game) Davefevs has not posted yet, and the post popped up, well written and spot on!

Players don’t seem to have confidence in LJ so why should we, seems to be a recurring theme! 

Buying a dip in tesco will cost you about 99p - a hell of a lot cheaper than a season ticket!

25 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

‘ Johnson’s management itself is a placebo, it is has no direct affect on good performances - yet subconsciously we’ve give him praise, tactical genius and all that.  It is lucky pulling of the levers! ‘

How long have I been saying this Dave ? Said the very thing when we had the pre match gab the other week

Nice to see you back posting....hope all is ok.  Text you in the week.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Good post. Agree completely. I couldn't believe the teamsheet before the game. I instantly knew we would have an awful first half, and we'd only get something from the game if Johnson got his early subs right. How many times do we see it now, that Johnson has to make double subs at half time or after 55-60 odd minutes. Even making the third sub after about 65 wasn't it? Clearly this is him knowing he made mistakes that he has to try and get right. Even then he gets it horribly wrong most of the time. Weimann played well first half through the middle. It suprised me seeing him play well as the link man alongside Diedhiou. He wasn't amazing, but he had some good moments. Why not play him through the middle second half? He was so completely ineffective on the left flank. Paterson could have gone there, as he was lost in the middle. We saw that Taylor's energy and tenacity at least gave Preston central defence something to worry about. Paterson in the middle was not getting on the ball, he should have been swapped with Weimann, or moved deeper into a 3 to at least get on the ball, and try and take some control of the game. I don't care what Johnson says after the game. No manager is going to admit they don't know what they're doing. He's shown me this season that he really is guessing from game to game. What weaknesses was Johnson trying to exploit? I'm struggling to see weaknesses in the Preston side. It's actually similar to last seasons 2-1 loss. We smashed it long to Djuric that game. And their defence had no problem with our direct play then either. I really don't understand why Johnson changes our entire philosophy from game to game. The players look lost.

I owe this a proper response, but just going out for beers and a curry.  Spiciest curry I ever had was in Preston.  Today was a ring-stinger of a performance! ?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nice to see you back posting....hope all is ok.  Text you in the week.

Not for long mate

The pitiful excuses and trolls on here are and have been nauseating  

Great original post - well explained

Players clearly don’t believe in him and we are a team heading one way atm

Completely agree with you @Davefevs

Something is clearly wrong. I have no problem with being mid-table and the defeats that can bring. We lost to Stoke but at least by the end of that game we could feel like we gave it a go. My concern is that it's becoming increasingly difficult to discern what our pattern of play is. There doesn't seem to be one. Too often our football is slow, pedestrian and directionless. Preston aren't one of the Championship's big spenders with parachute payments, but they out-fought and outplayed us. And this was after a defeat at Reading where our performance came under a lot of criticism. 

I don't buy the excuse that this is a "new" team. Whatever the team is being set up to do just isn't working.

It has been great to see the growth in our attendances since the AG re-build, but fans will stop attending if the football on offer continues in the same vain.

Dave you’ve put into words very clearly and logically something I’ve always struggled to articulate - that nagging feeling that when things go well they are almost incidental to the course that LJ is focused on setting us on tactically over the longer term, and/or he doesn’t know which things specifically have worked and so is powerless when form and circumstance starts going against us. Why else all this feast and famine and so many irrecoverable runs?

A man who knows how he won 4 in a row previously does not come off the Reading game, where all the faults were plain for everyone to see, and repeat them almost identically today. Nor does he use the post-match press gathering to announce his future criteria for selection will be effort (who knew) and specifically name drop three players of which two were on the bench for him today when he as always insisted on bringing on Jamie Paterson.

From your post @Davefevs to that bit of insight, I really struggle now to see LJ as anything besides a massive bluffer.

Dave agree wholeheartedly with your analysis.

My worry is that I have no confidence in SL to do the right thing and be proactive in terms of making a change. As I said on another post, LJ is SL's "yes man" and I get the impression that SL doesn't want a challenging coach, who demands more from him.

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

Dave you’ve put into words very clearly and logically something I’ve always struggled to articulate - that nagging feeling that when things go well they are almost incidental to the course that LJ is focused on setting us on tactically over the longer term, and/or he doesn’t know which things specifically have worked and so is powerless when form and circumstance starts going against us. Why else all this feast and famine and so many irrecoverable runs?

A man who knows how he won 4 in a row previously does not come off the Reading game, where all the faults were plain for everyone to see, and repeat them almost identically today. Nor does he use the post-match press gathering to announce his future criteria for selection will be effort (who knew) and specifically name drop three players of which two were on the bench for him today when he as always insisted on bringing on Jamie Paterson.

From your post @Davefevs to that bit of insight, I really struggle now to see LJ as anything besides a massive bluffer.

Spot on with the bluffer observation. He certainly talks a load of "bull"!

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The bizarre thing is we are only 13th, but looking down imho.  

It's mad. Two wins off 5th and 6th. Beat Reading last week and Preston today, two bottom three/four strugglers, and we'd be right amongst it.

We have been ordinary all season - Swansea apart - and yet just two wins, and we would be right up there ... it must cross SL's mind that someone getting a tune out of this squad would have us in amongst the top six or seven. As he said he wanted us to be this season.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He himself and others think he's junior Pep. We play 20 mins of decent attacking football where a sub will score or make an impact in some games because we are chasing the game and he gets praised for being a tactical genius. Where in reality he fails to get the correct selection and tactics from the start in 9/10 games and seems to struggle to motivate 

Very good post @Davefevs.  I heard your text on Radio Bristol on my way home tonight and expected something like this from you tonight.  It's interesting stuff.

My take on today's events were that the players looked unsure of their roles in the formation.  The minor bright spots in the 1st half were Hunt & Weimann combining well on the right.  But what did it lead to?  Multiple crosses into the box where we had one, yes one man.  And that man is not exactly known for his ability to beat a couple of centre halves with his head.
Formation-wise, if the number 10 is combining out wide with the full back, then the 2 attacking midfielders need to be attacking the box to make up numbers.  Brownhill & Walsh made no effort to get in the box.  Instead, they were playing to what their strengths are and looking for inter-play outside the box.  It left Famara on his own for nearly every cross that was made.

We then seemed to lack any understanding of roles off the ball.  At one point I thought we had 4 or 5 Kilkenny's playing, what with the amount of pointing that was going on.  Everyone seemed to be pointing at each other, saying that should be your job to close down that space, that should be you covering in behind that hole etc.  To me, it seemed blindingly obvious that not a single one of them knew what their role was in this formation.  It seems we changed formation, worrying about the opposition, but hadn't worked on what the actual gameplan was.

Even with the changes 2nd half, we still managed to create the square root of eff all.  This was as bad a 90 minutes as we've seen for a long time.  We've had some poor 45's or 60's, but most games there has been a little something to give you a slight hint of hope.  But today, there was no hope to be taken from anything.  It was a poor 90, as bad as I've seen for while.

I do have one small piece of evidence for the defence of LJ, m'lud.  Yes, the boss takes the flak, and rightly so.  But even when we did manage to work some inkling of an opening, the player's decision making or their delivery was woeful.  Some of Hunt & Da Silva's crosses when in good situations was dreadful.  So we can't blame LJ for everything, the players didn't execute bugger all.  But due to the inadequecies of the tactics, the players were not starting on an even keel, so it does indeed mostly come down to the manager today.

I posted after the first few games of the season that I wasn't sure what our style or gameplan was this season (or even the 'identity' word that the hierarchy like to use these days).  We then had a couple of good away wins and LJ bought some time.  But the last few games I'm once again at a loss to see what our plan is?  When Famara is on the pitch, the plan seems to be 'knock it up to him and hope he holds it up' (which invariably he doesn't).  When Eliasson is on the pitch it seems to be 'knock it up to Niclas and hope he can put a cross in'.  When neither of those 2 are on the pitch it seems to be 'ummm, what the **** do I do'.  We have no identity this year.  No style.  No gameplan.  So with that, I find myself agreeing with your placebo logic - it seems as though we are changing things with no actual idea of what we are supposed to executing.

I'm a little baffled, a little bored, and a little worried.

Nailed it @Harry. And I say again, formation has nothing to do with it as most of what you’ve written could have applied to the game at Reading too. So to borrow Dave’s analogy, LJ has pulled a bunch of levers this week but none of them ones that count.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Nailed it @Harry. And I say again, formation has nothing to do with it as most of what you’ve written could have applied to the game at Reading too. So to borrow Dave’s analogy, LJ has pulled a bunch of levers this week but none of them ones that count.

I feel like LJ is probably overstudied. I think he genuinely understands a lot about the game and the multitude of different approaches tactically, organisationally and psychologically. But this is actually his downfall, as he has so many potential 'levers' to pull (great analogy @Davefevs) it just becomes a lottery to which coaching idea he is going to apply week to week. 

From my experience the leaders that excel in given areas are the ones that have a cohesive approach and vision, which normally has been developed with a certain level of authenticity through their unique experiences or alternatively because its the only way they CAN do it. They may (not necessarily) have a wide range of knowledge and understanding, but they will funnel that through the way THEY see things. I feel that despite what LJ says he doesn't really have his OWN vision/identity, just a melting pot of abstract ideas he likes from other people. He tries to be all things for all men and seems afraid to commit to a specific approach/team/management style in case its the wrong one. The point though is that its not necessarily about which approach you use, they all have pros and cons, its about how well you execute it.

The time comes where you HAVE to create your own limitations and choose a path, otherwise you end up lost, ineffectual and lacking authority (as you don't have the 'authorship' of the direction you're taking).

Whether LJ will figure this out before its too late, I'm not sure. 

“The art of war does not need complicated manoevre; the simplest are the best, and common sense is fundamental. From which one might wonder why generals make blunders; it is because they try to be clever… It is like a boxing match, the more you punch the better it is” ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

1 hour ago, RedSA said:

I feel like LJ is probably overstudied. I think he genuinely understands a lot about the game and the multitude of different approaches tactically, organisationally and psychologically. But this is actually his downfall, as he has so many potential 'levers' to pull (great analogy @Davefevs) it just becomes a lottery to which coaching idea he is going to apply week to week. 

From my experience the leaders that excel in given areas are the ones that have a cohesive approach and vision, which normally has been developed with a certain level of authenticity through their unique experiences or alternatively because its the only way they CAN do it. They may (not necessarily) have a wide range of knowledge and understanding, but they will funnel that through the way THEY see things. I feel that despite what LJ says he doesn't really have his OWN vision/identity, just a melting pot of abstract ideas he likes from other people. He tries to be all things for all men and seems afraid to commit to a specific approach/team/management style in case its the wrong one. The point though is that its not necessarily about which approach you use, they all have pros and cons, its about how well you execute it.

The time comes where you HAVE to create your own limitations and choose a path, otherwise you end up lost, ineffectual and lacking authority (as you don't have the 'authorship' of the direction you're taking).

Whether LJ will figure this out before its too late, I'm not sure. 

Bloody brilliant post! ?

No idea what job you do in real life but I think you understand people, leadership and the link between the two. If you don’t do some form of leadership role, the. You’ve wasted a serious skill. 

Thanks for everyone’s comments. When writing it, it felt a bit like a cry for help....in so much as I must be missing something obvious.  I am a mere outsider looking in to world of professional football from a seat in the LS and posting on a forum. As Robbored said in another post that most of us have no coaching qualifications, do not spend hours per day over several months with the squad, yet feel qualified to critique someone that does.

Too bloody right it does!.

it gives me zero pleasure, I actually feel a bit “dirty” for writing what I did.

But it is my view and a number of you, far more appreciative of the game than me, felt similar things. 

I haven’t even gone into detail on individual performances or rated players out of 10, not analysed why Preston were the better side. 

I will listen to LJ’s post match presser and see what that picture that paints. I’m hoping it demonstrates that the “outsiders” (like me) are on the outside because we don’t understand the realm world of football!!

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks for everyone’s comments. When writing it, it felt a bit like a cry for help....in so much as I must be missing something obvious.  I am a mere outsider looking in to world of professional football from a seat in the LS and posting on a forum. As Robbored said in another post that most of us have no coaching qualifications, do not spend hours per day over several months with the squad, yet feel qualified to critique someone that does.

Too bloody right it does!.

it gives me zero pleasure, I actually feel a bit “dirty” for writing what I did.

But it is my view and a number of you, far more appreciative of the game than me, felt similar things. 

I haven’t even gone into detail on individual performances or rated players out of 10, not analysed why Preston were the better side. 

I will listen to LJ’s post match presser and see what that picture that paints. I’m hoping it demonstrates that the “outsiders” (like me) are on the outside because we don’t understand the realm world of football!!

Very interesting thread @Davefevs. Having spent a working lifetime in TV production, where the goal is engaging and entertaining your audience, I'd say that the 'outsiders' are often, in truth, the ones with the opinion that matters...there's no point making TV shows that the production team love and understand but no one else watches. The whole point of football as a business is surely to entertain the spectators, not create intricate patterns on a training pitch.

This is an entertainment business, football is a simple game, it should be entertaining to watch or people will simply, and understandably, walk away. It's only loyalty to the memories of what a club has been in the past that keep people returning when the fun goes out of it. I honestly don't think either LJ or SL understand that, I don't think either of them are, or ever have been, football 'fans'. One sees it as his profession, and has been helped to see it that way by a family that has supported his efforts to make a living through exploiting his limited talents, the other sees it as a way of building his local profile, and that of his family, and stroking his ego. I can't blame either of them for that, but it doesn't stop me feeling that in this situation the 'outsiders' are the ones whose perspective matters.

Watching football should be entertaining, not 90 minutes struggling to work out what on earth is going on, and trudging home confused and dispirited. 

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Very good post @Davefevs.  I heard your text on Radio Bristol on my way home tonight and expected something like this from you tonight.  It's interesting stuff.

My take on today's events were that the players looked unsure of their roles in the formation.  The minor bright spots in the 1st half were Hunt & Weimann combining well on the right.  But what did it lead to?  Multiple crosses into the box where we had one, yes one man.  And that man is not exactly known for his ability to beat a couple of centre halves with his head.
Formation-wise, if the number 10 is combining out wide with the full back, then the 2 attacking midfielders need to be attacking the box to make up numbers.  Brownhill & Walsh made no effort to get in the box.  Instead, they were playing to what their strengths are and looking for inter-play outside the box.  It left Famara on his own for nearly every cross that was made.

We then seemed to lack any understanding of roles off the ball.  At one point I thought we had 4 or 5 Kilkenny's playing, what with the amount of pointing that was going on.  Everyone seemed to be pointing at each other, saying that should be your job to close down that space, that should be you covering in behind that hole etc.  To me, it seemed blindingly obvious that not a single one of them knew what their role was in this formation.  It seems we changed formation, worrying about the opposition, but hadn't worked on what the actual gameplan was.

Even with the changes 2nd half, we still managed to create the square root of eff all.  This was as bad a 90 minutes as we've seen for a long time.  We've had some poor 45's or 60's, but most games there has been a little something to give you a slight hint of hope.  But today, there was no hope to be taken from anything.  It was a poor 90, as bad as I've seen for while.

I do have one small piece of evidence for the defence of LJ, m'lud.  Yes, the boss takes the flak, and rightly so.  But even when we did manage to work some inkling of an opening, the player's decision making or their delivery was woeful.  Some of Hunt & Da Silva's crosses when in good situations was dreadful.  So we can't blame LJ for everything, the players didn't execute bugger all.  But due to the inadequecies of the tactics, the players were not starting on an even keel, so it does indeed mostly come down to the manager today.

I posted after the first few games of the season that I wasn't sure what our style or gameplan was this season (or even the 'identity' word that the hierarchy like to use these days).  We then had a couple of good away wins and LJ bought some time.  But the last few games I'm once again at a loss to see what our plan is?  When Famara is on the pitch, the plan seems to be 'knock it up to him and hope he holds it up' (which invariably he doesn't).  When Eliasson is on the pitch it seems to be 'knock it up to Niclas and hope he can put a cross in'.  When neither of those 2 are on the pitch it seems to be 'ummm, what the **** do I do'.  We have no identity this year.  No style.  No gameplan.  So with that, I find myself agreeing with your placebo logic - it seems as though we are changing things with no actual idea of what we are supposed to executing.

I'm a little baffled, a little bored, and a little worried.

Who were they firing crosses in to ? 

Famara was isolated by their big defenders and didn't beat them to the ball and after he went off we were dominated in the air.

Why the chuff were We hoisting long balls in to the defence which were meat and drink to them ?

Why did we continue to do this when clearly it wasn't working ?

Our passing and pressing game needs confident players and they all seem devoid of confidence.

Korey Smith said that Holden is the coach who concentrates on the attack. He can go with LJ. 

It is not good enough. There is no room for any more excuses . Give me a coach who knows what he's doing and as importantly doesn't confuse the hell out of the players.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This is very true. While Ithink occasionally you may change systems/formation against a far superior opposition, surely our first thought should be find a system that works , with the players recruited and let others worry about us. Specially when the team we faced yesterday were what ? 20th before the game, and won 2 in 12. 

I said a few times yesterday, it made no sense to me playing Webster wide of a 3. He's trusted Baker before , why not play to Webster's obvious strengths and get him playing out centrally.

I do think the 3 is worth sticking with. I'm convinced Walsh will be a good player for us, and when Brownhill is at his busy best he is a very good player.

We , as a team , have been far too nice for far too long. 

I want all our managers to succeed , simply because it means the team is successful . Sadly , with a massive turnover in players (mainly wingers) and years of LJ's coaching we show no signs of being a cohesive team.

I have been worried for a few weeks now, nothing has made me change my mind of late.

Good post Dave, and I'd guess if anyone wins your £1 it will Johnson himself under a pseudonym trying rig the comp :thumbsup:

Archived