IGNORED

My take on it.

Rich

This is my shortened opinion on how this team is managed, I don't usually post too much but things need airing sometimes, for ones sanity.

Firstly, selecting a team to be successful should start at basics. Pick a team and play those selected in the positions they are best suited. Don't change it until it needs to be, only change it when needed then as little as possible. We currently have situations where there are multiple positional changes, just to accommodate one player returning to action, or a player injured. It's counter productive, these aren't top quality European footballers that can adapt and play in different positions every week, they are a selection of good players trying to do their best. 

Question, Why play three centre backs with Baker in the middle, Kalas on the right and Webster on the left? Surely Baker should be on the left in his natural position, as with Kalas and Webster central, to cover both sides and who also has the ability to bring the ball out of defence. It doesn't make sense.

Famara is there to get on the end of crosses, why play wingers on what is naturally their wrong side, as in Patterson and Elliason, that have to slow up and come inside to get a cross in, which is then swinging away from the forward, admittedly goal wards but, easier to defend than attack. Sadly his confidence is now completely shot as the delivery to him is poor and easy to defend against. He is now a pale shadow of the average player we paid five million quid for. We signed Weimann and so say told him he would be played centrally, as all reports and statements said he'd been used out wide at other clubs but was less effective in that role. He starts centrally and scores a hat full and looks a class player but, Famara comes back in and he finds himself shifted and playing parts of matches in wide positions, and hasn't scored since and appears now to be also lacking in confidence. Bobby Reid and Patterson were shifted last season to accommodate Famara, resulting in both losing their effectiveness as a result. It appears to not be no coincidence that players have been disrupted in their effectiveness by his return and inclusion, but I suppose if you'd put your shirt on him as your big signing, you'd want to save face and play him regardless.

Going to upset a few on here now. To compete at this level, there must be a physical ability as well as skill. Sadly, Liam Walsh at this moment in time is not strong enough, not quick enough of mind or competitive enough to warrant a starting position. He's good on the ball when given time, as against Stoke when they dropped off.  His inclusion has resulted in even more changes to the positions best suited to other team members. With the lack of a creative and combative midfielder in one, then we have to have strength and versatility which up to recently was offered by Pack and Brownhill.  If he's going to play then it must be in a more advanced role.

This is all very upsetting, as there's a reasonable team in that group of players, sadly in my opinion, there are too many players to select from, so the manager feels fit to rotate them as and when he thinks, depending on opposition. This results in a lack of consistency and a downward spiral in form due to that selection rotation.

Answer= On a piece of paper please.

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Think you are spot on. The problem is we have a whole squad of bang average or below average players.  Yet they still should be doing better than they are, and, I believe, you are right again, they cannot be expected to play out of position so often

Seen it so often, get a large squad of mediocre players and the temptation when there's an injury or slight drop in form however slight, is to use the squad and consistency goes out the window.

Our best run of form under LJ occurred when we were injury-ravaged and he HAD to pick the same 11 every week.

According to Barnsley fans, the best run of form there also happened to coincide with injuries, and LJ being forced into team selections.

It's a worry.

As for your observations on Famara.  Due to the cash involved, we're obliged to pick him as much as possible.   But unfortunately, the bloke is useless.

25 minutes ago, Harry said:

As for your observations on Famara.  Due to the cash involved, we're obliged to pick him as much as possible.   But unfortunately, the bloke is useless.

Diedhiou I dunno, he's had his moments (well a few but only a few) this season. Nowhere near enough though.

*Took goal well v Blackburn

*Took goal very well v WBA

*Great header v Hull

Also recall a excellent take down then cross field ball v Sheffield Wednesday.

That's about it for the season though.

On the negative side talking this season mostly- inadequate technically mostly, his pressing generally neither hard enough in terms of work rate or focused in general to be effective, confidence on the slide, doesn't link the team too well and the biggest crime of all, someone of his physique doesn't bully defenders, impose himself anywhere near enough.

Diedhiou's best positiion is probably warming the bench and maybe coming on for the last 30 minutes.  We played our best football last year when he was injured and this year before he came back from his spitting suspension.  Why can't LJ see that.

Now Weimann moves, creates space and makes some good runs yet nobody serms to want to pass the ball to him.

We will be bottom 4 by Christmas if this form continues.

11 hours ago, Rich said:

Question, Why play three centre backs with Baker in the middle, Kalas on the right and Webster on the left? Surely Baker should be on the left in his natural position, as with Kalas and Webster central, to cover both sides and who also has the ability to bring the ball out of defence. It doesn't make sense.

I said yesterday, and elsewhere on here, the obvious set up would be 2 stopper either side of a ball playing CB. Webster is a very good footballer, just seemed to limit him coming out with the ball.

11 hours ago, Rich said:

why play wingers on what is naturally their wrong side

He has done this from day one. To me , it makes sense to play them on their natural side to enable them to get to the byline and cross to give forwards running onto the ball and advantage.  Going inside is still an option but not the first one, why he sticks with this blindly who knows. I get it if COD and Eliasson are on together, no choice , but it would be nice to have a wide man who's first thought isn't to cut inside. 

11 hours ago, Rich said:

Sadly, Liam Walsh at this moment in time is not strong enough, not quick enough of mind or competitive enough to warrant a starting position.

This is where we disagree. I think Walsh could be the creative spark we've been lacking, if you're looking for strength and speed of thought in this team you could be looking a long time. I have been banging on about playing 4-5-1 with 2 genuine wingers (and until we try it I can't be proved wrong :whistle: ) . Walsh would have the space to play and options either side and up front ( Weimann ? ) , I like how he can keep things ticking over with shorts quick easy passes (not unlike Wade Elliot used to ) but plays thinking forward.

LJ has favorites , how else does Paterson get games, but no real idea how to set up the players he's brought in, or even who are his best eleven are.

11 hours ago, Rich said:

This is all very upsetting, as there's a reasonable team in that group of players, sadly in my opinion, there are too many players to select from, so the manager feels fit to rotate them as and when he thinks, depending on opposition. This results in a lack of consistency and a downward spiral in form due to that selection rotation.

Yes, I agree with this wholeheartedly. It is very frustrating. I think this is a good enough squad of players for the manager and coaching staff to be able to say that we have a good plan A (formation, who plays where, who plays in their place in the case of injury, unavailability etc.) and a good plan B (whether that be to change formation, tactics, personnel or whatever). I think the manager and coaching staff are guilty of over-complicating things on many occasions. 

7 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I said yesterday, and elsewhere on here, the obvious set up would be 2 stopper either side of a ball playing CB. Webster is a very good footballer, just seemed to limit him coming out with the ball.

He has done this from day one. To me , it makes sense to play them on their natural side to enable them to get to the byline and cross to give forwards running onto the ball and advantage.  Going inside is still an option but not the first one, why he sticks with this blindly who knows. I get it if COD and Eliasson are on together, no choice , but it would be nice to have a wide man who's first thought isn't to cut inside. 

This is where we disagree. I think Walsh could be the creative spark we've been lacking, if you're looking for strength and speed of thought in this team you could be looking a long time. I have been banging on about playing 4-5-1 with 2 genuine wingers (and until we try it I can't be proved wrong :whistle: ) . Walsh would have the space to play and options either side and up front ( Weimann ? ) , I like how he can keep things ticking over with shorts quick easy passes (not unlike Wade Elliot used to ) but plays thinking forward.

LJ has favorites , how else does Paterson get games, but no real idea how to set up the players he's brought in, or even who are his best eleven are.

I did say that if he's going to play then it must be in a more advanced role. As I don't believe he's physically suited to a more robust combative role.

personally I think bakers best position is on the bench where he cant get injured but can do a job if called upon.

my bench would look something like o leary ,baker  ,eliasson,  da silva,  Paterson  ,eisa  ,walsh.

go back to how we started the season maybe and go from when we looked competitive

Archived