IGNORED

Yesterday's attendance.

marmite

As per title it looked more like 17000 ish to me. Lots of spaces everywhere. Never mind what the accountant says Steve. Look around and see it for yourself. People are staying away for a reason and that reason is plain to see. I know ST holders are counted whether they attend or not but more and more are choosing to stay away. I might be next!!

Happens at most clubs, doesn't it?

However I do take your point but at the same time we've not necessarily had the best of luck in games I've seen. Kelly hits woodwork in first 20 v Sheff Wed- that goes in we may win game. Diedhiou hits woodwork v Stoke just before they score, and think was him again in 2nd half was it- as well as the Butland wonder save, header off the line...all.adds up.

Condemnation of the team too much off the back of those 2 by boycotting would be harsh IMO. By any objective measure we merited more in both games.

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Done to death- typically 2-3k margin of error in published v actual attendance. Within margin of error.

It does happen at most clubs and there are always people who buy season tickets and don’t attend every game for varying reasons. 

However, I know a number of st holders who have chosen to stay away as they are not happy with the turgid football on display. 

So whilst it is not uncommon to have st holders not in attendance, the reason for a lot of these at present is that they’re not being entertained, rather than they had a family do, a holiday, were working etc. 

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

It does happen at most clubs and there are always people who buy season tickets and don’t attend every game for varying reasons. 

However, I know a number of st holders who have chosen to stay away as they are not happy with the turgid football on display. 

So whilst it is not uncommon to have st holders not in attendance, the reason for a lot of these at present is that they’re not being entertained, rather than they had a family do, a holiday, were working etc. 

Fair point yeah.

Problem is, what do they expect exactly? Yesterday was very poor granted, but our performances at home have generally been not the worst. Don't fully understand the rationale- a very competitive division this.

Do your people not attending take into account the number of missed chances, or the fact there are 2 sides on the pitch- perhaps some expectations are out of kilter a bit?

@Southstandoriginal Correct- within the typical margin of error.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fair point yeah.

Problem is, what do they expect exactly? Yesterday was very poor granted, but our performances at home have generally been not the worst. Don't fully understand the rationale- a very competitive division this.

Do your people not attending take into account the number of missed chances, or the fact there are 2 sides on the pitch- perhaps some expectations are out of kilter a bit?

@Southstandoriginal Correct- within the typical margin of error.

“Our performances at home have generally been not the worst”. 

To be frank Mr Pops, I really do not agree with that. 

We’ve scored 9 goals in 9 home games this season. 4 of which came in one game v Blackburn. That’s 5 goals in the other 8 games. 

V Forest & Sheff Weds, we were ok for the first 10 mins or so but were second best in most of the game thereafter. Hull was dull. Middlesbrough was poor. Sheff U we were 2nd best for about 60 mins. Villa was a poor game all round which was only decent for a reasonable atmosphere. Stoke was a dreadful first half but a good 2nd half. Yesterday was a dull as they come. 

Sorry mate, I can’t say that a single game this season has had the fans out of their seats. It’s been poor. In some cases very poor. 

6 hours ago, Southstandoriginal said:

The club (and everyone else probably) do not publish the footfall, only the number of tickets sold. This includes season tickets, regardless of whether or not people actually turn up.  The actual attendance yesterday was around the 16-17k mark probably. 

Think that depends if the club have to arrange a RPZ as was the case with wolves last season. Changed how they calculated attendance to keep below the 25k.

8 hours ago, Southstandoriginal said:

The club (and everyone else probably) do not publish the footfall, only the number of tickets sold. This includes season tickets, regardless of whether or not people actually turn up.  The actual attendance yesterday was around the 16-17k mark probably. 

https://www.ashtongatestadium.co.uk/events/ 

They publish the 'actual' attendance here. I agree it was between 16-17k yesterday.

9 hours ago, marmite said:

The point I was making is WHY people are staying away. SL sees the same game as us.

I stayed at home because I’ve not been very well all week. My 4 year old son couldn’t go on his own..!

What’s your point..? 

5 hours ago, Harry said:

“Our performances at home have generally been not the worst”. 

To be frank Mr Pops, I really do not agree with that. 

We’ve scored 9 goals in 9 home games this season. 4 of which came in one game v Blackburn. That’s 5 goals in the other 8 games. 

V Forest & Sheff Weds, we were ok for the first 10 mins or so but were second best in most of the game thereafter. Hull was dull. Middlesbrough was poor. Sheff U we were 2nd best for about 60 mins. Villa was a poor game all round which was only decent for a reasonable atmosphere. Stoke was a dreadful first half but a good 2nd half. Yesterday was a dull as they come. 

Sorry mate, I can’t say that a single game this season has had the fans out of their seats. It’s been poor. In some cases very poor. 

How were we 2nd best v Sheffield Wednesday? Watch it back, defeat was surely fairly undeserved- Kelly hit post after 15, we were undone by 2 quick 2nd half goals IIRC, fairly in control of the ball..Stoke was an average first half in that we didn't (IMO) deserve to be behind but level. Very decent 2nd half, Butland and the woodwork gained Stoke 2 if not 3 points.

Hull have actually not been out of many games- if you look they have lost narrowly most of the time, beat WBA, drew with Middlesbrough yet you presumably expected us to brush them aside? Middlesbrough was a deserved loss but probably 2-1 rather than 2-0 would've been fairer. Possibly we were lucky to get a point v Villa and in some ways v Forest, remember them (Forest) having quite a bit of ball 2nd half.

Sheffield United and Blackburn you surely cannot find fault with?? I'll readily admit 4-1 in the latter flattered us- but Blackburn very solid this season..

Sheffield United are up there and a very tricky side to play against with their system, a win v them in almost any circumstances is good- they tore us apart in first half hour or so at AG in May and have a better side this year arguably.

What is the point of this thread, every club publishes tickets sold and every club has some season ticket holders who cannot attend for a huge variety of reasons. As for those saying does that gate tell Steve Lansdown anything? Yes it tells him that gates have been higher under Johnson than at anytime since Alan Dicks.

4 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I don't understand why one would buy a season ticket and then not bother turning up for games just because we are going through a rough time. Not trying to be the superfan, just seems like wasting money.

There are always people who sell individual games for face value, or give it to mates because they can't be bothered for certain games.

18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Done to death- typically 2-3k margin of error in published v actual attendance. Within margin of error.

In all fairness this isn't even that bad by our club, I took my daughter to see Cardiff vs Blackpool three years ago because she had free tickets from school and wanted to go, the tannoy announced 19k attendance and yet they barely filled a single stand, I'd have been amazed if it was 12k. The attendance figures for most clubs seem to be wildly inaccurate at best during bad/dull spells.

41 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Southampton attendance was 28k apparently but my god there were thousands of empty seats. Saints Mate of mine said there staying away as they dislike Hughes, all sounds a little familiar doesn’t it.

Well there would be thousands (4,500) empty seats if the attendance was 28k in a 32.5k stadium..?! 

1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

To be honest and because of the weather I was ALMOST tempted to stay at home and watch the rugby! ?️

Lots of "Trumps" may have stayed away because of the weather but that's not what the booing was about at the end. SLs men will notice the drop in footfall and takings and with performances like that it will only get worse.

8 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I don't understand why one would buy a season ticket and then not bother turning up for games just because we are going through a rough time. Not trying to be the superfan, just seems like wasting money.

With the shite I’ve watched for the first 9 games at home I think we’re entitiled to a break!! Also, when you get loads of awful games, people will get memberships and pick and choose their games in the future. As LJ and his side offer crap football and on a consistent level. 

Yes i paid money for my season ticket but that money was spent in the summer so I’m not missing that money week in week out, so I can live with not going for some time. 

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

How were we 2nd best v Sheffield Wednesday? Watch it back, defeat was surely fairly undeserved- Kelly hit post after 15, we were undone by 2 quick 2nd half goals IIRC, fairly in control of the ball..Stoke was an average first half in that we didn't (IMO) deserve to be behind but level. Very decent 2nd half, Butland and the woodwork gained Stoke 2 if not 3 points.

Hull have actually not been out of many games- if you look they have lost narrowly most of the time, beat WBA, drew with Middlesbrough yet you presumably expected us to brush them aside? Middlesbrough was a deserved loss but probably 2-1 rather than 2-0 would've been fairer. Possibly we were lucky to get a point v Villa and in some ways v Forest, remember them (Forest) having quite a bit of ball 2nd half.

Sheffield United and Blackburn you surely cannot find fault with?? I'll readily admit 4-1 in the latter flattered us- but Blackburn very solid this season..

Sheffield United are up there and a very tricky side to play against with their system, a win v them in almost any circumstances is good- they tore us apart in first half hour or so at AG in May and have a better side this year arguably.

But you’ve analysed results there. I’m not talking about results. I’m talking about entertainment value. We’ve scored 5 goals in 8 games (taking the 4 v BBurn out). Aside from Stoke 2nd half there hasn’t been any entertainment on show. It’s been boring. Even the BBurn game wasn’t actually that good. 

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

But you’ve analysed results there. I’m not talking about results. I’m talking about entertainment value. We’ve scored 5 goals in 8 games (taking the 4 v BBurn out). Aside from Stoke 2nd half there hasn’t been any entertainment on show. It’s been boring. Even the BBurn game wasn’t actually that good. 

Depends how you measure it IMO.

Total shots, Possession, Results, Resounding wins, Or goals?

We were never going to be repeating last seasons feats with all the changes and I didn't think so back in August either. I don't think we have got the rub of the green at times this season-  certainly we should have had a few more goals. At the same time, LJ's tactics are not great- don't get why he is so opposed to a bona fide 4-3-3 for example.

I will praise the win over Sheffield United even if you won't- play an open and expansive (4-4-2) game against them at that time and we lose that day I reckon. 

At home we've averaged 13.2 shots per game- yet scored  9 goals. Big disconnect there. That strikes me as a poor conversion rate.

I've got a ST but I didn't go Saturday. I got offered 12 hours overtime at work and I struggled to convince myself that going to the football was the better of the two options. 

Mostly a decision made on financial grounds over any kind of protest but there was a time I wouldn't even consider anything other than football on a Saturday afternoon. 

14 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

What is the point of this thread, every club publishes tickets sold and every club has some season ticket holders who cannot attend for a huge variety of reasons. As for those saying does that gate tell Steve Lansdown anything? Yes it tells him that gates have been higher under Johnson than at anytime since Alan Dicks.

New stadium "bounce" happens nearly everywhere nothing to do with the promising young coach.

3 hours ago, Loon plage said:

New stadium "bounce" happens nearly everywhere nothing to do with the promising young coach.

We didn't move to a new stadium and our ground was redeveloped over three years. I'm not saying the increase is all down to Johnson but at the same time some posters saying fans are staying away due to Johnson is clearly rubbish. Gates are at there highest for 38 years. Everyone gets disappointed after three defeats but that is the championship. A couple of weeks back Leeds manager was the greatest thing since sliced bread and then West Brom took them apart at the weekend. Many more ups and downs this season with Johnson being Pep one week and Ray Graydon the next.

46 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

We didn't move to a new stadium and our ground was redeveloped over three years. I'm not saying the increase is all down to Johnson but at the same time some posters saying fans are staying away due to Johnson is clearly rubbish. Gates are at there highest for 38 years. Everyone gets disappointed after three defeats but that is the championship. A couple of weeks back Leeds manager was the greatest thing since sliced bread and then West Brom took them apart at the weekend. Many more ups and downs this season with Johnson being Pep one week and Ray Graydon the next.

It was a piecemeal development and the capacity was restricted until the whole revamped stadium was completed upon which the crowds increased hence my reference to new stadium bounce.

Fans ARE staying away because of the coach and his team.The fact that the official attendances are what they are is down to SC sales as everyone knows.

Empty seats do not lie and please do not compare Bielsa to what we have here.

We could lose 6-0 every week have no home fans actually attending and some people would still say we are getting 15,000 every home game and therefore our 3rd whatever highest average attendance "this century" or some such bollocks..

Archived