IGNORED

Preston goal offside??

DC10

According to the FA website setting out the laws, the test is not whether the ball travels backwards (that isn't mentioned) but whether, at the moment it is played, 

any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent

So unless there's another defender out of shot (and having watched the game live and the replay on TV I don't think there was) I think he's offside.

3 hours ago, glen humphries said:

Think it’s simple mate if the balls played backwards you can’t be offside, I think?

Usually when the ball is played backwards, the player is behind the passer as well, so onside , but in this case the ball was played back to a player who was in front of the passer, who then scooped it in. I really don't know the answer to that.

6 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Usually when the ball is played backwards, the player is behind the passer as well, so onside , but in this case the ball was played back to a player who was in front of the passer, who then scooped it in. I really don't know the answer to that.

No player is offside if the ball goes backwards. End of

3 hours ago, glen humphries said:

Can’t be offside if the balls played back , simple 

The direction of the ball does not matter at all in offside decisions and never has.  What you're stating is an over simplification of the actual rule and it isn't accurate.

You're in an offside position or not based on where the furthest forward part of your body that can play the ball is.

It's perfectly possible for example for an attacker to be standing side on to goal, have their one foot making them offside, and receive a pass that was played level or backwards with their other foot.  This should be given as offside.

When the ball was played, Robinson was marginally offside, and even though it was played square it should have been given as offside.  It was tight and would be easy to judge the line wrong even if the ref had the rules right (I'm sure they would).

We deserved nothing from the game so no point complaining.

3 minutes ago, Offside said:

Looks offside to me based on that image, but I stand to be corrected if there’s a law about the ball going backwards.

I also wonder why none of our players are anywhere near Robinson, who seems to have been given the freedom of our six yard box.

Well quite- forget offside debate, believe it was a soft goal to concede, remember thinking so at the time.

32 minutes ago, Nibor said:

The direction of the ball does not matter at all in offside decisions and never has.  What you're stating is an over simplification of the actual rule and it isn't accurate.

You're in an offside position or not based on where the furthest forward part of your body that can play the ball is.

It's perfectly possible for example for an attacker to be standing side on to goal, have their one foot making them offside, and receive a pass that was played level or backwards with their other foot.  This should be given as offside.

When the ball was played, Robinson was marginally offside, and even though it was played square it should have been given as offside.  It was tight and would be easy to judge the line wrong even if the ref had the rules right (I'm sure they would).

We deserved nothing from the game so no point complaining.

You are wrong. You can’t be offside if the ball isn’t played forwards. Simple. 

For instance, hypothetically...

2 attackers break from half way, ahead of all defenders, one with the call gets to the byline and pulls it back to the other, who’s “in an offside position” is NOT offside. 

If the player receiving the ball at the time it is passed is ahead of the last defender and the player playing the ball, it doesn't matter what direction the ball is passed, the receiving player is offside.

And as can be seen Robinson is beyond the last defender and the player making the pass at the time the ball is kicked, so he's offside.

That said, there wasn't a defender within 5 yards of him, and on that performance, we deserved to lose.

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

2 attackers break from half way, ahead of all defenders, one with the call gets to the byline and pulls it back to the other, who’s “in an offside position” is NOT offside. 

In that scenario wouldn’t that be because the scoring attcaker is behind the attacker playing the ball though. Different than the scoring attacker being ahead of the ball and passing player but the pass going backwards that he then scoops in. 

Although as shown in the pic above it looks like the ball goes forwards anyway...

7 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Read the rules. It's always about your position not the ball's direction of travel.

In your scenario the second attacker is not in an offside position because they did not have a part of their body with which they could legally play the ball ahead of the ball when it was played not because it went backwards.

10 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Read the rules. It's always about your position not the ball's direction of travel.

In your scenario the second attacker is not in an offside position because they did not have a part of their body with which they could legally play the ball ahead of the ball when it was played not because it went backwards.

They didn’t have 2 defensive players between themselves and the goal line. (Usually the GK & a defender, but not exclusively) but if the ball goes backwards, not forwards, then it’s not offside. 

Nothing to do with Preston’s goal, obviously. 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

They didn’t have 2 defensive players between themselves and the goal line. (Usually the GK & a defender, but not exclusively) but if the ball goes backwards, not forwards, then it’s not offside.

This is plain wrong and again you should read the rules.

26 minutes ago, Nibor said:

This is plain wrong and again you should read the rules.

Are you telling me that you can be offside if the ball goes backwards, or are you being pedantic about how the rule is worded in the FA Laws..? 

I’m using example scenarios, not quoting the written word of the laws of the game. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Are you telling me that you can be offside if the ball goes backwards, or are you being pedantic about how the rule is worded in the FA Laws..? 

I’m using example scenarios, not quoting the written word of the laws of the game. 

Yes you will be offside if the ball is played backwards but you are ahead of the ball when its played. Its your position that is relevant not the direction of the ball.

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Yes you will be offside if the ball is played backwards but you are ahead of the ball when its played. Its your position that is relevant not the direction of the ball.

True. My scenario was both players being ahead of the last defender though. Not running back from being ahead of the ball after it’s played. 

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Depressing thread! 

Luckily I never had to consult OTIB during a cup tie on the off side law. 

It gets better. 

Guy behind me constantly shouts for offside when an opposing striker is stood goal side of our defence from goal kicks!

poor chap calls me everything under the sun when i try to tell him! :facepalm:

Archived