IGNORED

We are doing a fantastic job at City

Major Isewater

6 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Oh well, if appointing MM guarantees success we’d best prepare for a bidding war as 23 other clubs will want him. Not sure what some posters want, there are no guarantees at this level, if we spend big we fall foul of FFP and threaten the long term future, bring in ‘experience’ and we go back to a squad of journeymen picking up a pay packet.

No but if we have experience in the  coaching set up we can guide and develop our young players better .

As it is our young coaches are making mistakes and our young players haven't the knowledge or experience to cover those mistakes. 

I think there is one word to describe the situation - "Apathy". I have not posted for a long time because I took the view it was not worth the argument. SL has his project so let him get on with it. I did not renew my ST and go now to the games I want to. Works for me. This season we have been a shower of SXXT with some highlights to build our hopes. However, I saw all of the games on are record breaking losing streak and nothing much has changed.   SL is lauded for the £ he has spent (rightly so) but has it been done wisely. The answer is no. Even if Johnson was relieved of his position, would we get the experienced management team we all think is needed and have championed. The answer is no. Its half-measures. It always has been under SL Occasionally he strikes gold - Gary J and Steve C. But that never lasts because fundamentally there is a problem in the way the club is managed. 

MM would never come to City because there are things that are done behind the scenes which are amatuerish. Local commentators say so and leave us wondering what the story is.  Coppell saw it  then and ran. Cotterill was seeing it and then imploded. LJ is just a puppet of SL. A very nice guy but not likely to make waves and cause confrontation. Take Cotterill - he was angry after the very first game back in the Championship and so it continued.

SL is now interested in a project via Bristol Sport and the football team is simply part of this play thing. It could be worse mind - Coventry et el. Hence - Apathy. 

1 hour ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Major you appear to have changed your tune somewhat, at the start of the campaign it was all let's all enjoy the ride on this potential rollercoaster of a season.

All the positivity seems to have drained out of the club and we seem to be going backwards at an alarming rate.

Having watched Wolves away at Arsenal on MOTD2 it seems inconceivable that less than 12 months ago we were unlucky to loseto them .

I am an optimist by nature and at the start of the season I was willing to give the team time to gel and see LJ maintain his passing and pressing game that he promised us .

Sadly I don't see any progress , in fact we've gone backwards.

Saturday was a shambles and I don't see many signs of LJ learning from his previous mistakes.

It's ground hog day .

44 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I have to say that if you did a straw poll of City fans and asked them if they would want Mick McCarthy as manager you would likely get a result about as close as Brexit.  And that would be a reason to go nowhere near him.   His appointment would split the fan base.  

For the record I would emphatically be on the no side (again!).

Whoever follows LJ (if and when, etc) we will I do not doubt be mostly underwhelmed/disappointed by his successor, then soon after be either furious then surprised, or ecstatic then disillusioned. And after some months of incandescent to and fro on here, look up to see that we are about 13th or 12th in the Championship (having recently lost to Preston).

This is my optimistic outlook.

41 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Football is about more than results for me.  I go to football to be entertained.  And whilst I agree that right now that isn't happening, under McCarthy you would see a functional side and very little else.  Ipswich fans were crying out for him to leave for ages before he finally did due to the negative, boring shite they were watching.  So for a similar reason that I wouldn't want Warnock here (though you could add in the fact he's a classless tosser), I also wouldn't want McCarthy.

No comparison really. He did that while cost cutting year on year. The man worked miracles keeping Ipswich that high in the table - you only need to look where they are now to see how well he managed.

Wasn't a problem when it worked either - no one moaned when he got them in the top half and a play off appearance in his first 3 years.

There needs to be a balance of decent football and effectiveness at getting results. At the moment Id choose us giving 100% and having some effectiveness than buying this snobbish passing football lark many on here push  most of the time.

Why do we have to play like Man City to be entertained? Why can't we just press high like Liverpool? Counter like Palace? Direct play like Burnley?

It's not as if we've played decent football for going on 10 months is it.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The thing is, I agree with a lot of what the Major says but with LJ I see few signs- and I know he is inexperienced- but I see, especially when the heat is on, few signs of him learning from the mistakes or the views on tactics and other areas.

Mistakes happen, experienced coaches can get it wrong- but the same patterns, seemingly a lack of learning (and I don't for one second underestimate how competitive this division is) are worrying. Appreciate also you never stop learning- well it's a good mindset to have, but in certain respects I wonder when it (learning) begins for him.

The thing is Mr P we really can't say he is inexperienced any longer - 5th season as a HC!

The issue, as you allude too is that he doesn't learn and has a smugness that is highly unappealing when trying to explain away another poor performance.

I think is utterly floundering now and must be delighted that there is an international break, although the fixtures that follow are daunting.

When I read the rational about Taylor going on I.e. the song, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I am sure he will still be here at Xmas but I am not so sure that will be the case by Easter.

12 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

The thing is Mr P we really can't say he is inexperienced any longer - 5th season as a HC!

The issue, as you allude too is that he doesn't learn and has a smugness that is highly unappealing when trying to explain away another poor performance.

I think is utterly floundering now and must be delighted that there is an international break, although the fixtures that follow are daunting.

When I read the rational about Taylor going on I.e. the song, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I am sure he will still be here at Xmas but I am not so sure that will be the case by Easter.

That's fair SR, 5 years- yeah when put like that he is by no means the most experienced but hasn't developed as hoped.

I took his Taylor comments as lighthearted but yeah, didn't catch the mood well at all. Dunno about smug but possible- but then all managers have an ego.

Would be like us though, wouldn't it to suddenly- and unexpectedly actually take a strong return form those games. I'm not banking on it by any stretch, but with LJ you never know I guess.

Think he'll only be gone by Easter if we are deep in a relegation scrap- if we're looking on for midtable or lower midtable anyway, I am unsure we will get rid.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I am an optimist by nature and at the start of the season I was willing to give the team time to gel and see LJ maintain his passing and pressing game that he promised us .

Sadly I don't see any progress , in fact we've gone backwards.

Saturday was a shambles and I don't see many signs of LJ learning from his previous mistakes.

It's ground hog day .

I must agree with you Your Majorship Sir

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

No but if we have experience in the  coaching set up we can guide and develop our young players better .

As it is our young coaches are making mistakes and our young players haven't the knowledge or experience to cover those mistakes. 

To me it’s just the right fit, and often the right manager at the right time. I look back through my 40 years watching City and promotions have come under Cooper, Jordan, Ward, G Johnson and Cotts, a mixed bag. We have had big names in Houghton, Smith, Pauli’s, Coppell and O’Driscoll that have not been successful. Oh and Benny. There is no magic formula when it comes to appointing a head coach. 

Main failing with Lee right now is inconsistency of formation and team selection. We don’t have a particularly strong squad and need to get the most out of what we have. Picking COD might help, give us pace on one flank, but that’s just my personal opinion.

3 minutes ago, Chappers said:

To me it’s just the right fit, and often the right manager at the right time. I look back through my 40 years watching City and promotions have come under Cooper, Jordan, Ward, G Johnson and Cotts, a mixed bag. We have had big names in Houghton, Smith, Pauli’s, Coppell and O’Driscoll that have not been successful. Oh and Benny. There is no magic formula when it comes to appointing a head coach. 

Main failing with Lee right now is inconsistency of formation and team selection. We don’t have a particularly strong squad and need to get the most out of what we have. Picking COD might help, give us pace on one flank, but that’s just my personal opinion.

I think the biggest failing is he’s not a very good manager , head coach.

8 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Football is about more than results for me.  I go to football to be entertained.  And whilst I agree that right now that isn't happening, under McCarthy you would see a functional side and very little else.  Ipswich fans were crying out for him to leave for ages before he finally did due to the negative, boring shite they were watching.  So for a similar reason that I wouldn't want Warnock here (though you could add in the fact he's a classless tosser), I also wouldn't want McCarthy.

Quite a significant number of City fans seem afraid that we could actually get some success with the right appointment....they probably couldn’t handle it in reality as Bristolians are typically laid back and not very emotive....that could explain why some fans  are happy to openly condemn two potential managers with TEN promotions between them including winning the championship as champions three times....lots also say guff like “you wouldn’t see me at The Gate whilst Warnock/McCarthy was in charge” - but we would, they’d sneak in to have a peek when we were challenging at the very top of this division...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Quite a significant number of City fans seem afraid that we could actually get some success with the right appointment....they probably couldn’t handle it in reality as Bristolians are typically laid back and not very emotive....that could explain why some fans  are happy to openly condemn two potential managers with TEN promotions between them including winning the championship as champions three times....lots also say guff like “you wouldn’t see me at The Gate whilst Warnock/McCarthy was in charge” - but we would, they’d sneak in to have a peek when we were challenging at the very top of this division...

I respect Warnock in a lot of ways....but I think Cardiff might be his swan song.  I bet he would’ve liked the City job back when LJ was appointed, and I think he has a soft spot for us deep down.

4 hours ago, Up The City! said:

If we ever appointed MM I'd hand my season ticket back and not renew.

Can I ask what made you renew over the last few seasons? Assuming you have done so of course. I’ve renewed mine continually but I think it’s been out of habit and blind loyalty rather than proper belief....but I’d rush to renew asap if we got in a proper, successful guy like MM - with his incredible track record....I’d have a rush of enthusiasm again and would feel genuinely excited about the near - future....

Archived