IGNORED

If LJ was to leave (Merged many times)

189thoughts

Would Mick McCarthy be a good choice to take City forward  

365 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’m all for the future, the youth and building this club, as that seems the strategy. But I think we’re trying to achieve that with a incompetent management team and possibly board directors. The result is we’re not really progressing on the field!

If results and performances stay the same until Christmas then I’d like to see some experience and proven success at this level. The likes of Bruce, Moyes, Mick etc.

It’s obviously going to cost but if Steve Lansdown and Co want to seriously consider ourselves as challengers in the future then I think this is the best approach.

We’ve tried up and coming, I’d like to see some proven successful coaches down AG if circumstances don’t improve.

Having a high profile manager will increase the chances of holding on to our best players, another lesson we found out last summer with LJ.

14 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Steve Lansdown.................Nigel Pearson....

That would be interesting !!

I know full well it will never happen but would love him here, he wouldn’t take no shit from anyone, hence why he’ll never be appointed.

26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, what did he ever go on to achieve?

Perhaps you would like to consider the fact that Ipswich, on one of the lowest budgets in the league (and lower than ours), were in the play offs this time last season. Now they are rock bottom. 

Also interesting to consider that Ipswich were in fact in the play off positions until the end of September. At the same point this season we were just two points off the play offs. By end of Oct last year Ipswich had dropped to 11th, so a similar drop to ours this season, and following an unexpected home defeat (to us!) fans started to call for the manager's head. Despite having one of the lower wage budgets in a league full of parachute payments, the fans clearly expected to be doing better and thought that a change of manager was the answer. Now they are rock bottom.

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Guaranteed success...wow

Not guaranteed, but likely.....appointing someone who is a proven, successful guy is more likely to see success follow than giving the job to a rookie with zero track record in terms of success and a habit of overseeing long, long miserable winless runs....you obviously don’t agree....that’s fair enough....

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I just want to achieve attractive attacking football. That’s all

I’ve seen us play plenty of attractive attacking football at various times during my 30 years watching City; Wilson, Cotterill and both Johnsons have all managed that to a greater or lesser extent.

What I’ve never seen is any tangible success beyond a League One title and an unsuccessful playoff final in 2008. I want to see us take that step; a step that Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Blackpool, Wigan, Watford and Brighton have all made since. And I’d like to see us appoint someone with the demonstrable skills to achieve it.

3 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Any names come to mind that might provide all this exciting stuff?

I’d provide some exciting stuff Appy

:laughcont:

Bring it on Warnock ....

id promise a team full of effort , no shrinking violets anywhere near the pitch , there would be minute by minute drama for the fans off the pitch if not on it

The team would definitely have an ‘identity’

Plenty of entertainment between technical areas

Lots of updates regarding record touchline bans 

(Steve may  need to up the FA fine budget)

No sterile Interviews 

Any Chance ?

:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bring it on Warnock ....

id promise a team full of effort , no shrinking violets anywhere near the pitch , there would be minute by minute drama for the fans off the pitch if not on it

No sterile Interviews 

Any Chance ?

Bye   :laugh:

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bring it on Warnock ....

No sterile Interviews 

Any Chance ?

You little tease!!! ?

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

SL had his fingers seriously burnt by Coppell....the last big name we recruited....the ones appointed post the Coppell debacle is a relatively sorry list....Millen, McInnes, O’Driscoll, Cotts, LJ....only Cotts achieved anything....it seems that Mr Lansdown has tarnished every potential ‘big’ name with the Coppell ‘brush’....SL obviously has our best interests at heart...but Coppell seems to have made him shy away from proven successful managers, for some reason....

Think you're right. And further burnt by a succession of short tenures taking us backwards. And he's now gone to the opposite extremes. 

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

No vacancy.

Lee forever

If it sways it

Had I been in charge on Saturday a couple of the ‘injured’ Preston cheats would have been assisted from the pitch 

Well at least one......couldn’t do the second from the Stand I guess....

Robbie Turner knew how to deal with Preston 

:whistle2:

23 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

In terms of playing style I’m far from convinced McCarthy belongs in the same bracket as Pulis.

How many more managers with impressive CVs and proven credentials are we going to turn our noses up at while continuing to achieve very little?

Indeed, and Mick's nose turns sideways and can smell round corners. Not to be sniffed at ...

2 promotions under his belt from this division has McCarthy. It would definitely be a yes for me but as BS4 has already pointed out SL seems to be a bit put off by managers with experience and a track record. Im sure that is the MAIN thing that hargreaves lansdown look for when recruiting management, experience and a track record of success at said level.. baffling really that he thinks our football club needs a different approach.

It Personally comes down to money and ambition for me, the Lansdowns are shit scared of a bigger name manager coming in and telling them how it is and what it will cost to reach the Prem.. the Lansdowns know full well what it takes to get there but dont want it enough.. having little Lee in charge keeping us bobbing along is perfect for them. The cheap option will forever be the BCFC way with Steve Lansdown at the helm!

33 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

SL had his fingers seriously burnt by Coppell....the last big name we recruited....the ones appointed post the Coppell debacle is a relatively sorry list....Millen, McInnes, O’Driscoll, Cotts, LJ....only Cotts achieved anything....it seems that Mr Lansdown has tarnished every potential ‘big’ name with the Coppell ‘brush’....SL obviously has our best interests at heart...but Coppell seems to have made him shy away from proven successful managers, for some reason....

People forget that Coppell was approached by SL, not the other way round. It was an embarrassment but unlikely to be repeated with someone like McCarthy who you’d think might embrace the job. Ditto Moyes who I don’t think would be in our range if it weren’t for his affiliation with the club. 

What burnt SL most was having a squad full of misfit journeymen he was paying to have a cosy life and get relegated. Hence the philosophy we are now seeing. Which probably makes Moyes a no go. Less so McCarthy whose shown he’d work on a tight budget. 

40 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And no comparison in styles or ethos

Pulis has his system - painful to watch but sucessful and putting it simply even his sides are better to watch than the complete dross served up to us in 2018 by the cosy club

McCarthy will play dependent on what players and budget he has to work with 

Jack Charlton dropped Liam Brady for ROI because the rest of the players weren’t on his wavelength or skilled enough for him to play with.  Didn’t do too badly leaving him out did he.

And that’s not me saying McCarthy is only a direct football manager either, i’m agreeing with your final sentence, which is the exact same point I made on another thread.

Yes in some respects- well actually a fair few respects. Football under McCarthy is surely better to watch than Pulis. I voted yes on the poll.

Reservation time- his Wolves at this level and he did a fine job, no arguments there- well it was evident, did he or did he not have a 4-4-2 with wingers in his Wolves 08-09 side? Jarvis and Kightly IIRC. In 2018, if he has kept up with the times great, what did he tend to play at Ipswich last season?

9 minutes ago, GoodridgeandGoater said:

People forget that Coppell was approached by SL, not the other way round. It was an embarrassment but unlikely to be repeated with someone like McCarthy who you’d think might embrace the job. Ditto Moyes who I don’t think would be in our range if it weren’t for his affiliation with the club. 

What burnt SL most was having a squad full of misfit journeyman he was paying to have a cosy life and get relegated. Hence the philosophy we are now seeing. Which probably makes Moyes a no go. Less so McCarthy whose shown he’d work on a tight budget. 

Good post and spot on

We had a joke reputation within the game for overpaying poor players

What was missing throughout was somebody in Ashton’s role and any form of scouting network

Im not convinced by Ashton in many ways but he should certainly be expected ensure we aren’t taken for a ride

The recruitment remains a massive bugbear of mine and one of the two biggest keys to potential progress

In Finances , SLs obvious are of expertise / experience it’s a non confrontational work environment with methodical business plans and analytical reviews

Footballs nothing like that , confrontation and emotions regular , personalities , spirit , all a regular part

If left alone , to do his job Ashton’s role is really the pivotal one

JL appears to have fallen off the radar in the last 12 months ......his influence is a factor I’m sure  

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes in some respects- well actually a fair few respects. Football under McCarthy is surely better to watch than Pulis. I voted yes on the poll.

Reservation time- his Wolves at this level and he did a fine job, no arguments there- well it was evident, did he or did he not have a 4-4-2 with wingers in his Wolves 08-09 side? Jarvis and Kightly IIRC. In 2018, if he has kept up with the times great, what did he tend to play at Ipswich last season?

A right old mix:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/spielplan/verein/677/plus/0?saison_id=2017

26 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’ve seen us play plenty of attractive attacking football at various times during my 30 years watching City; Wilson, Cotterill and both Johnsons have all managed that to a greater or lesser extent.

What I’ve never seen is any tangible success beyond a League One title and an unsuccessful playoff final in 2008. I want to see us take that step; a step that Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Blackpool, Wigan, Watford and Brighton have all made since. And I’d like to see us appoint someone with the demonstrable skills to achieve it.

My thoughts exactly written down better than I could.

This experiment with Lee Johnson is boring me to death. Let's get a football manager in. 

If LJ is still here next season I'm taking a sabbatical from Ashton gate for the benefit of my own mental health. 

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

People who say yes need to remember Pulis days

Why’s that?

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

I just want to achieve attractive attacking football. That’s all

I’d much prefer to see a hardworking and organised team which is something we’re likely to get with McCarthy.

2 minutes ago, swanker said:

Things must be desperate if supporters think this is the answer.  Get a young manager in with fresh ideas. 

Lets move forward and start thinking about people like Paul Scholes. 

We have a young manager with fresh ideas. 

I don't believe as a club, where we are in status , can afford to take the risk with another rookie .

As I wrote on another thread , we are committed to bringing in youngsters and developing them . Can we have the players and the coaching staff learning so much on the job ? 

It strikes me of the blind leading the blind.

One problem I see is that SL and LJ don't accept people who question their decisions ( Pemberton was an older head to have around, for example) and whilst it's wonderful to have your ( I was going to say ' have your cock sucked ' but thought it a bit rude ) ego massaged by one and all , how does that help you progress ? 

21 minutes ago, swanker said:

Things must be desperate if supporters think this is the answer.  Get a young manager in with fresh ideas. 

Lets move forward and start thinking about people like Paul Scholes. 

Paul Scholes? Yeah another managerial rooky, just what we need.

Archived