IGNORED

If LJ was to leave (Merged many times)

189thoughts

Would Mick McCarthy be a good choice to take City forward  

365 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, swanker said:

He’s down here!!!!

All joking aside Scholes has a massive amount of respect in the game and I’m sure he’ll become a decent manager soon. We’ll miss a trick on that one for sure and I’d love him here. 

Can never tell really- like Gary Neville a few years ago- top player, forthright pundit? Then again Lampard doing quite well also...

Then again though, people may have thought Neville would become a strong manager but he was disastrous at Valencia- big first job to get.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

I have said I dont want McCarthy and that I want to watch attractive football.  I don't think McCarthy plays attractive football.  

Surprised you need it spelling out.  I dont care if he has achieved promotion before.  There are a fair few managers at this level who have achieved success that I wouldn't want.

Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce, Neil Warnock, Mick McCarthy, Ian Holloway, Phil Brown.  No thanks. 

I appreciate I am in the minority in that I put style of football over league position.  I would rather watch a Fulham type performance in a 4-4 draw than a dire long-ball 1-0 win.  

Still waiting for YOUR suggestions, these attractive football playing managers that would consider us....

This subject is the reason why I dislike the Bristol Sport nonsense.

Many believe Mr Lansdown wouldnt stump up the cash for a reputable name.

So this makes me wonder how much money is being pumped into this 3rd rate nonsense of Basketball ? I'll even upset a few who love the Egg chasing.

What a shame we dont have an owner that concentrates on one thing. Bristol City FOOTBALL Club

23 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

People confuse his dour tone with a type of football. I actually thought his performance at Ipswich was extraordinary, his transfer spending was zero, and he played the strategy out of paying the bills. For me he was the standout manager for many seasons. 

Im not saying he is right for us , but I have huge respect for what he did at Ipswich. As I think almost any sensible football person would.

Pretty sure i can differentiate a style of football with accent! How condescending

10 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Personally , McCarthy , I believe he would stabilise the team , isn't an ego maniac and has a good record.

He is a available without needing to throw compensation at his club. 

With the proviso that he still has the fire in his belly.

I believe SL will promote from within . If Holden or Macca don't go with LJ he'll stick with what he knows and move them up most probably bringing in Cole Skuse or Louis Carey to assist .

Have you been on the mushrooms major?

If this happens we are doomed.

1 hour ago, Keepers Ball said:

This subject is the reason why I dislike the Bristol Sport nonsense.

Many believe Mr Lansdown wouldnt stump up the cash for a reputable name.

So this makes me wonder how much money is being pumped into this 3rd rate nonsense of Basketball ? I'll even upset a few who love the Egg chasing.

What a shame we dont have an owner that concentrates on one thing. Bristol City FOOTBALL Club

Very little.  There is a salary cap of £200k....per team.  Yes, per team.  That’s the equivalent of one City player on £4K per week. Ok, the rules are not quite as simple as that, the top two highest paid British players in each team are excluded from the cap, to promote British players.  Bearing in mind Bristol Flyers have 3 US imports, a Greek player and a Maltese international, it is unlikely that the 2 highest paid Brits are taking full advantage of the new rule like London City Royals who have brought a stellar British name back to the BBL this season.

Our teams already invest heavily in to their player pathways and as such developing players, it is therefore sensible that we don’t put up any barriers to Clubs retaining the very best of these players (that they are helping to develop).

“As such we have changed our Team Payment Cap regulations so that the TPC calculation excludes the top 2 earning British players on each team.”

Hoopsfix can reveal that the TPC is currently set at £200,000 per year and the calculation incorporates only emoluments (i.e. no benefits in kind) – and excludes the top two British salaries – as confirmed by the BBL.

The TPC – essentially the BBL salary cap just named differently – is generally used to keep overall costs down whilst maintaining a competitive balance to prevent more financially well off clubs from dominating.

7 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

How come someone like Frank Lampard can come in with no experience, make a pretty good start with Derby and have them challenging. While LJ cannot over a couple of seasons, and spent so much money on players? 

I have not seen Derby play much so cannot comment on their style of football. But if Lampard came here, would he have more success and time as LJ? 

Mason Mount and Harry Wilson both signed on loan and look amongst the best players in this league.

Contacts and judgement. LJ has brought in some total duds on loan and I think would've had little chance of getting those two.

Apart from Tammy he has got mostly crap in on loan which contrasts his judgement with FL's.

7 hours ago, Red_Wizard said:

How come someone like Frank Lampard can come in with no experience, make a pretty good start with Derby and have them challenging. While LJ cannot over a couple of seasons, and spent so much money on players? 

I have not seen Derby play much so cannot comment on their style of football. But if Lampard came here, would he have more success and time as LJ? 

Easy to be thinking that he has zero management experience. Correct, he hasn't.

But within his family, the Redknapps and his father, plus managers he's played under, all of whom played and managed mostly in the top league, he has probably learned a helluva lot more than LJ did being managed by his Dad at Yeovil and City. No comparison.

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Not guilty Major, that's for too eloquent for me. 

It's a good read though and I agree with Hodge, it doesn't sound great. 

I thought it was completely normal for a fans forum .

I disagree with Hodge but it's all hypothetical anyway we're stuck with the boy wonder for some time to come I think. 

11 hours ago, Lez said:

How do you think fans would react if he was given a new deal when it isnt potentially deserved?

I don’t think LJ’s last contract extension was deserved, the timing was appalling, we were two months into that horrendous run which lasted from October 2016 to March 2017 and it included the most consecutive defeats in our history....even in the midst of that chaos LJ got a new contract after we’d just dropped from 5th to 17th in the table in double-quick time.....it was unbelievable but lots on here still defended it....how? Why? Who else would get a new, extended contract under those circumstances?!

10 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

McCarthy averages over 5 years per job. He's only had 5 in nearly 27 years. The epitome of stability. Tell me anyone else (still working at the moment) at this level or above in the UK with a better average per job? He just gets on with things with minimal fuss. I'd give it to him until the end of the season and then see where we are. It won't happen though.

Spot on.....he was in his last two roles for 12 years in total...and some joker on here called him a “journeyman manager with an appalling record” - sometimes the ill-informed guff posted on here staggers me, and I don’t know why it does! I should expect it by now....some people just lap up the crap spouted by others and believe it to be true, then embarrass themselves by regurgitating it...

12 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

His thinking must be affected by previous managers such as Pulis and Cotts who gave him a hard time and weren't willing to work with a team

Mr Lansdown was only a board director when Pulis was our manager, he wasn’t even chairman until 2002 - after Pulis was long gone....so not sure how Pulis would have given him “a hard time” ?

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Mr Lansdown was only a board director when Pulis was our manager, he wasn’t even chairman until 2002 - after Pulis was long gone....so not sure how Pulis would have given him “a hard time” ?

As a board member he would have been aware of the issues with TP

13 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

His thinking must be affected by previous managers such as Pulis and Cotts who gave him a hard time and weren't willing to work with a team

Thing is mate, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and if his selections are allowed to disagree with him.

As Calculus said the other day some of us believe BCFC has become SL's vanity project. He will not take on anyone who might threaten his control, whereas some of us again believe this is exactly what is needed if, as he says, he wants Premiership football. Whatever you think of him Nigel Pearson, someone who has been there and done it, was available but wasn't short-listed the last time around. We were given the usual bollocks that LJ was the strongest candidate in an outstanding field of applicants??

Control, control, control.

Archived