IGNORED

Greatest band ever

MC RISK77

4 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I think you posted in the wrong thread: I presume this one is for "Most Overrated Band Ever".

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HA HA

Each to their own -  I happen to think Queen were ace. They'd be in my top 5 for sure.

Big fan of Guns N Roses - Dad used to listen to Deep Purple, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin in the car when I was growing up. Love them all still today.

For sheer number of hits, the ability to nail it live every time, and the complexity of songwriting, even though they're not my bag it has to be Queen.

If you're asking for the most talented band, I'm not sure. But in terms of every member being absolutely fantastic at their respective instruments and roles, I'd throw a curveball and go with The Stone Roses. Incredible guitarist, a very good bassist and probably the greatest drummer of all time. The singer couldn't sing but had a great solo career and is up there with the best frontmen, despite a poor voice.

10 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

For sheer number of hits, the ability to nail it live every time, and the complexity of songwriting, even though they're not my bag it has to be Queen.

If you're asking for the most talented band, I'm not sure. But in terms of every member being absolutely fantastic at their respective instruments and roles, I'd throw a curveball and go with The Stone Roses. Incredible guitarist, a very good bassist and probably the greatest drummer of all time. The singer couldn't sing but had a great solo career and is up there with the best frontmen, despite a poor voice.

On that basis it is hard to look beyond Led Zeppelin.

I would go for Rush - Probably the best bassist in the world, certainly the best drummer. Getting a bit past it these days in terms of songwriting but their first 10 albums or so were magnificent. For 2/3 of the band being amongst the best in the world at what they do and sheer longevity they would be hard to beat.

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Perhaps not a fashionable choice but The Beatles.

They changed the face of Pop music , left us with so many classics and  if ever you try to play their music it's very clever .

It certainly is. People love to criticise but some of the songwriting is great. Particularly considering their range of influences would have been far more restricted than anything we can get our hands on today.

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I would go for Rush - Probably the best bassist in the world, certainly the best drummer. Getting a bit past it these days in terms of songwriting but their first 10 albums or so were magnificent. For 2/3 of the band being amongst the best in the world at what they do and sheer longevity they would be hard to beat.

Don’t forget their cameos in Trailer Park Boys too

6 minutes ago, David Brent said:

In terms of impact it’s easily The Beatles, so many bands and so much music owes a lot to them. A lot of people will claim Oasis to be the greatest ever, there’s been times I’d agree with them, but even they owe a great deal to The Beatles.

They owe everything to the Beatles and infant school nursery rhymes.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Perhaps not a fashionable choice but The Beatles.

They changed the face of Pop music , left us with so many classics and  if ever you try to play their music it's very clever .

Sorry Your Maj but I hate the Beatles

14 minutes ago, David Brent said:

In terms of impact it’s easily The Beatles, so many bands and so much music owes a lot to them. A lot of people will claim Oasis to be the greatest ever, there’s been times I’d agree with them, but even they owe a great deal to The Beatles.

Oasis copied the Beatles musical style.

4 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Seen the Stone Roses last year at Wembley. 

Ian Browns voice wasn't great as usual, but the gig was amazing. 

Pity they had the issues after the first album and took so long to release Second Coming.

Not sure who I'd pick for best band, Oasis probably, I struggled to find an Arctic Monkeys song I disliked, then the new album came along & gave me 10 of them. 

Oasis were a great band, but they plagiarised so much stuff (mainly The Beatles) and got away with it.  A great example of this is "She's Electric" which starts off with the basic chord structure of Lennon/McCartney's (Macca's song) "With a Little Help From my Friends" then slides into George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" from the White Album and ends up with a direct steal from the Kinks (Ray Davies) "Wonder Boy" the end bit of the verses.  That's three Beatles and 1 Kink that did not get a credit.  

Ironically the one songwriter that they did give credit to was Gary Glitter (although this might have been after he took them to court) as they used his "Hello Hello Good To Be Back" at the end of Hello on the What's The Story album.  He has made way over a million in royalties from Oasis fans for royalties from that track. Just think of that when you stream Oasis on Spotify!

My favourite band are the Beach Boys for the pure quality of Brian Wilson's music and production from 1965 through to 1966 (Pet Sounds) and then the brilliance of tracks like Heroes and Villains, Surf's Up and Good Vibrations, which were part of the the "Smile"  project which started in 1966 and was finally completed, performed live (saw BW's Band perform it at the Colston Hall) and released in 2004!  They also lasted long enough to release some complete dross as well!

They just pip the Beatles who were basically ground breaking with the best song writing team in modern pop/rock, and split up at the right time, in fact they were so revolutionary and brilliant that on some days they are my favourite group!

And an honourable mention to Jefferson Airplane just to verify my ageing hippy credentials!?

Archived