IGNORED

Greatest band ever

MC RISK77

27 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Agreed - thirty years later I still listen to A Pagan Place most.  Saw them many times but the best was Golddigers in Chippenham in ?late 1984, and then Mike Scott on his own with an acoustic guitar at Blackwood Miners Institute in the mid 90s.

Can’t argue that the Beatles were the greatest band ever though.  Almost everything that followed is owed to them.

I saw them at Golddiggers too it was around that time but thought it was more like 86. Could have been the same gig.

edit: Google says it was May 4th 1986!

Having watching the Kinks on Sky Arts made me appreciate what a fantastic songwriter  Ray Davies is. 

He got glowing appraisals from the likes of Liam Gallagher and Paul Weller who put him on a par with Lennon and McCartney as a songwriter. The Kinks album The Village Green preservation society was compared to Sergeant Pepper. 

Great admiration from well established musicians of today and Suggs and both Weller and Gallagher said how influentenced they were by the Kinks.

1 hour ago, Flounder said:

I saw them at Golddiggers too it was around that time but thought it was more like 86. Could have been the same gig.

edit: Google says it was May 4th 1986!

That makes sense - it was just before This is the Sea came out.  Support was an American band called Wire Train.  If I remember rightly, Scott walked off after about an hour claiming his head wasn’t in the right place, but was talked back on and they then played for another hour or two.  A quite extraordinary gig.

8 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That makes sense - it was just before This is the Sea came out.  Support was an American band called Wire Train.  If I remember rightly, Scott walked off after about an hour claiming his head wasn’t in the right place, but was talked back on and they then played for another hour or two.  A quite extraordinary gig.

Played Purple a Rain as an encore which I thought was quite strange at the time, but later read that The Whole of the Moon was  at least Partly about Prince.

For me, to be great a band does not necessarily need to have had mass appeal. In fact, the most popular stuff tends to be worse as it’s bland (see Sheeran, Edward). For me, to be in the conversation you must tick at least three of the following boxes:

- At least one “great” album

- Noted influence on other good/great bands

- Innovative, and not ploughing the same furrow

- Live presence

- Longevity - with a consistent quality 

So, with that in mind, the conversation contains (limiting it to 2 max per decade)

- Beatles

- Stones

- Clash

- Jam

- Smiths

- Radiohead

- Arcade Fire

- Arctic Monkeys

On a solo basis, Bowie would win every time. And although I was the right age during Britpop, and saw and loved many of the bands (Suede, Blur, Oasis, Elastica etc), I struggle to make a case for them being “great” on the above. None of the above made the best album ever (Forever Changes, If you’re interested) either.

I’d go Beatles, Smiths or Arcade Fire. Probably the latter but they are a band you absolutely adore or hate.

However, Queen were and are cack. Just how cack is summed up by “Under Pressure”. Both Bowie and Queen wrote their own lyrics - Bowie “Insanity laughs under pressure we’re breaking”. Freddie “ Be doh dah dey. Be da doh da dey. Dayou”. Only one of those influenced Equality Street by David Brent...

I'd remove Arctic Monkeys from that list and replace that with the Roses (great album, noted influence, innovative) but aside from that that's a pretty good list of criteria and examples. Although I think you're being massively harsh on Queen, though those who hate Queen seem to really hate Queen :laugh:

Isn't it great just how much phenomenal music this country has made?

9 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I'd remove Arctic Monkeys from that list and replace that with the Roses (great album, noted influence, innovative) but aside from that that's a pretty good list of criteria and examples. Although I think you're being massively harsh on Queen, though those who hate Queen seem to really hate Queen :laugh:

Bang on, A Night At The Opera is one of my favourite albums!!!!

Hard to argue about music as it's such a subjective thing and means so many different things to people.

Hard to argue with The Beatles of course, they were so innovative.

Pink Floyd for me would be right up there, The Moody Blues did some good stuff. The Who, The Kinks and Small Faces all rank highly.

During the 80's was right into The Police, Big Country, The Smiths,U2,Simple Minds.

The 90's produced some quality bands who were overshadowed by the whole Oasis/Blur thing. Longpigs, James, Shed Seven,Echobelly.

You're right though, we have produced some cracking bands.

2 hours ago, nebristolred said:

James are criminally underrated imo. Although their constant shake up of setlists does my head in. I understand you have to play a mix of songs and there has to be an element of randomness, but at times a huge chunk of the setlist is stuff most of the crowd has never heard of!

Damn right, I am

9 hours ago, nebristolred said:

Sheer Heart Attack is the best Queen album ever , less selfconcious and posey than the , nevertheless excellent, Night at the   opera. 

It really rocks .The band at their best.

They then decided to make lots of money by being pop stars and turned out a load of rubbish that millions of people bought ! 

Bicycle Races, I want to break free , Radio Gaga ... 

:gaah:

20 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

For me, to be great a band does not necessarily need to have had mass appeal. In fact, the most popular stuff tends to be worse as it’s bland (see Sheeran, Edward). For me, to be in the conversation you must tick at least three of the following boxes:

- At least one “great” album

- Noted influence on other good/great bands

- Innovative, and not ploughing the same furrow

- Live presence

- Longevity - with a consistent quality 

So, with that in mind, the conversation contains (limiting it to 2 max per decade)

- Beatles

- Stones

- Clash

- Jam

- Smiths

- Radiohead

- Arcade Fire

- Arctic Monkeys

On a solo basis, Bowie would win every time. And although I was the right age during Britpop, and saw and loved many of the bands (Suede, Blur, Oasis, Elastica etc), I struggle to make a case for them being “great” on the above. None of the above made the best album ever (Forever Changes, If you’re interested) either.

I’d go Beatles, Smiths or Arcade Fire. Probably the latter but they are a band you absolutely adore or hate.

However, Queen were and are cack. Just how cack is summed up by “Under Pressure”. Both Bowie and Queen wrote their own lyrics - Bowie “Insanity laughs under pressure we’re breaking”. Freddie “ Be doh dah dey. Be da doh da dey. Dayou”. Only one of those influenced Equality Street by David Brent...

The Stranglers tick your boxes .

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

you just have

I'm surprised.

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 09:34, nebristolred said:

James are criminally underrated imo.

While nowhere near the greatest band of all time, I agree they are massively underrated.  I think they are one of those bands that had such a big defining song (Sit Down) that it kind of overshadowed their other work, which is a shame.

4 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

While nowhere near the greatest band of all time, I agree they are massively underrated.  I think they are one of those bands that had such a big defining song (Sit Down) that it kind of overshadowed their other work, which is a shame.

Have to own up and say I can only name 2 of their songs (Sit Down and Laid), but it's possible I might recognise others if they came on.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Have to own up and say I can only name 2 of their songs (Sit Down and Laid), but it's possible I might recognise others if they came on.

22 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Come Home, She’s a Star and Getting Away With it were all reasonably big hits.

She's A Star, Come Home, Sit Down and Laid, sounds like a decent night out to be honest.

If you are going to include hits from other bands in Manchester, you might as well credit them with Roll With It, Hand In Glove and I'm Not In Love whilst you're at it....

36 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

She's A Star, Come Home, Sit Down and Laid, sounds like a decent night out to be honest.

If you are going to include hits from other bands in Manchester, you might as well credit them with Roll With It, Hand In Glove and I'm Not In Love whilst you're at it....

56 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

All those songs were by James? ?

4 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Come Home, She’s a Star and Getting Away With it were all reasonably big hits.

I was 5/6 when the singer left them in 2001, so a good chance of a few of them being before my time, that said, Sit Down definitely came out before I was born and I know it.

Will have to give some of those a listen at some point

On 22/11/2018 at 09:19, glynriley said:

Bang on, A Night At The Opera is one of my favourite albums!!!!

Hard to argue about music as it's such a subjective thing and means so many different things to people.

Hard to argue with The Beatles of course, they were so innovative.

Pink Floyd for me would be right up there, The Moody Blues did some good stuff. The Who, The Kinks and Small Faces all rank highly.

During the 80's was right into The Police, Big Country, The Smiths,U2,Simple Minds.

The 90's produced some quality bands who were overshadowed by the whole Oasis/Blur thing. Longpigs, James, Shed Seven,Echobelly.

You're right though, we have produced some cracking bands.

Britpop bands have made a bit of a reunion/revival in recent years.....starshaped festivals have been good (though was disappointed with this years). Cast are playing in Bristol this friday, plus dodgy and sleeper have Bristol gigs next year.

Archived