IGNORED

Greatest band ever

MC RISK77

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 21:27, Silvio Dante said:

For me, to be great a band does not necessarily need to have had mass appeal. In fact, the most popular stuff tends to be worse as it’s bland (see Sheeran, Edward). For me, to be in the conversation you must tick at least three of the following boxes:

- At least one “great” album

- Noted influence on other good/great bands

- Innovative, and not ploughing the same furrow

- Live presence

- Longevity - with a consistent quality 

So, with that in mind, the conversation contains (limiting it to 2 max per decade)

- Beatles

- Stones

- Clash

- Jam

- Smiths

- Radiohead

- Arcade Fire

- Arctic Monkeys

On a solo basis, Bowie would win every time. And although I was the right age during Britpop, and saw and loved many of the bands (Suede, Blur, Oasis, Elastica etc), I struggle to make a case for them being “great” on the above. None of the above made the best album ever (Forever Changes, If you’re interested) either.

I’d go Beatles, Smiths or Arcade Fire. Probably the latter but they are a band you absolutely adore or hate.

However, Queen were and are cack. Just how cack is summed up by “Under Pressure”. Both Bowie and Queen wrote their own lyrics - Bowie “Insanity laughs under pressure we’re breaking”. Freddie “ Be doh dah dey. Be da doh da dey. Dayou”. Only one of those influenced Equality Street by David Brent...

Tbh, it takes something pretty special to be 'cack' and have over 170 million record sales(4th most in British history), spend a total of 1322 weeks on the UK album charts (most out of any artist in history), win 4 grammy awards and have 41 singles in the top 20 in the UK

Obviously music is all about opinions, but to call Queen 'cack' is an odd one imo

On 22/11/2018 at 18:04, Major Isewater said:

The Stranglers tick your boxes .

I'm surprised.

Sorry, but Arctic Monkeys and best band ever should never be mentioned in the same breath. It's mostly subjective, of course, but just no. 

'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not' - people say they're the best band ever. They're not.

Archived