IGNORED

Greatest band ever

MC RISK77

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

That's ok , we can't all like music .

Indeed we can't but the Beatles did nowt to change anything with dross like Yellow Submarine. In saying that McCartney really did put the T into WAT.  Would rather vote for The Sugarbabes !! The Stones for me piddled all over the Beatles but even then would not be my favourite. I have a CD collection that runs into several thousand. Out of all I still cannot pick a favourite even after seeing Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music 28 times.

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Indeed we can't but the Beatles did nowt to change anything with dross like Yellow Submarine. Would rather vote for The Sugarbabes !!

Without this we'd never have had 

" we all dream of a team of Ivan Sproules "

Or The Famara Diedhou song .

I don't like all of their stuff but they wrote songs about life , Eleanor Rigby, She's leaving Home , Yesterday etc and musically were amazing, deceptively so . 

They also as a band stirred up a stuffy post war Britain with their cheeky scouse humour and derring do.

They are like the Monty Python team of the music world , go anywhere on the planet and people will know a Beatle's song or a Python sketch. 

1 hour ago, SODS_LAW said:

The greatest bands I’ve seen live are the foo fighters and the killers, great live shows! Oasis are up there for me with the smiths.

Good shout, and to move away from the OP and the best ever bands, but to move into live performances, David Bowie (and the Spiders from Mars) at the Colston Hall 1973 which was basically the Ziggy Stardust/Aladdin Sane tour, was the best ever concert  in  terms of brilliance of music and stage performance that I have ever seen (and I have seen a hell of a lot!).  That gig was sensational and it was the first concert of two he did at the CH that night!

20 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Perhaps not a fashionable choice but The Beatles.

They changed the face of Pop music , left us with so many classics and  if ever you try to play their music it's very clever .

I think there’s two different questions really. The answer I would give to “who is the best?” is different to “who is your favourite?”.

I wouldn’t put the Beatles at the top of my personal list, but I’d have no problem with them being described as the best.

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

We should definitely have a live music thread as a spin off to this.

How many of you went to the Kasabian gig at the Bristol O2 this year? Unbelievable show ?

A few options for best gig I have been to:

- In terms of skill of the musicians, probably would be Tackhead, early 1990s.

- In terms of the reception by the crowd, Specials in Dublin, 2009.

- In terms of a gig I enjoyed the most, New Order in Manchester, 1986. 

10 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Good shout, and to move away from the OP and the best ever bands, but to move into live performances, David Bowie (and the Spiders from Mars) at the Colston Hall 1973 which was basically the Ziggy Stardust/Aladdin Sane tour, was the best ever concert  in  terms of brilliance of music and stage performance that I have ever seen (and I have seen a hell of a lot!).  That gig was sensational and it was the first concert of two he did at the CH that night!

I was in the front row of the choir seats for the second one. Still have the ticket !

It's obviously incredibly subjective. But imho you'd be hard pressed to better Bowie. The ultimate musical chameleon but pretty much everything he touched turned to gold, (maybe not Tin Machine!) and live he was just incredible as the recent Glastonbury concert shows. I've heard from people that were around that he was just as good live in the early 70s as well. His breadth of tastes and ability to grow with the times were just incredible and his last two albums are as good as anything he did.   If I was pushed it'd be Zavid every time! 

23 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

The Waterboys for me.

First saw them back in 1986 (I think it was) in the Colston Hall (supported by The Saw Doctors who are also an excellent band but in a different way!). The Waterboys (ie Mike Scott plus) are still touring regularly.

Their album 'This is the Sea' (1985) is soooo good (as are all of them). 

I always preferred Pagan Place to This is the Sea. There is a cracking Glastonbury recording from BBC In Concert from a few years later (Glastonbury 88 I believe) that’s is about on the net. As the Waterboys drifted towards Irish Folk. I drifted away and pretty much replaced them with the Wedding Present.

3 hours ago, lenred said:

It's obviously incredibly subjective. But imho you'd be hard pressed to better Bowie. The ultimate musical chameleon but pretty much everything he touched turned to gold, (maybe not Tin Machine!) and live he was just incredible as the recent Glastonbury concert shows. I've heard from people that were around that he was just as good live in the early 70s as well. His breadth of tastes and ability to grow with the times were just incredible and his last two albums are as good as anything he did.   If I was pushed it'd be Zavid every time! 

Great shout, if we're talking single artists then for having the entire catalogue he has to be right up there. Honestly, it's even more impressive given that in reality he was nothing more than just a 'good' singer.

41 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Great shout, if we're talking single artists then for having the entire catalogue he has to be right up there. Honestly, it's even more impressive given that in reality he was nothing more than just a 'good' singer.

For single artists, Prince should also get a nod: stunning back catalogue, proficient on numerous instruments, decent producer, and slept with some spectacular women.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

How have Oasis even been mentioned in this conversation?! 

And how have Radiohead not? Absolute genius. 

In terms of strike-rate of hits and given they were only around for three years The Smiths have to be up there.

I loved oasis - great albums i reckon 

Oasis were great in so many ways, but not worthy of a 'greatest band ever' conversation. To be the greatest band you have to have everything, and musically Oasis were average, even if their songs were great. I'd concede that they have some of the greatest songs ever. Though they're not my favourites, The Masterplan and D'You Know What I Mean are just incredible pieces of music. And behind that they had tons of very, very good songs. They'd definitely be up there in terms of quantity because they just had dozens of quality songs, but songwriting-wise and considering the talent of each individual member, they're trumped by so many bands imo.

18 hours ago, lenred said:

Bowie wasn't a band though was he ? 

Archived