IGNORED

Fans Forum

phantom

9 hours ago, Harry said:

I didn’t go but have some very brief minutes from someone who did :

- Lots of signings haven’t quite been what they expected. 

- Squad was tired after cup run. Hadn’t planned to make any signings in the January but had to rethink cuz of the tiredness. 

- LJ did a lot of ‘looking’ at Ashton when saying about having to sell Flint, Bryan & Reid. 

- Diedhiou was signed to play with Reid - felt they complimented each other and gave us a plan. With Reid sold they were looking for someone to fill that role but didn’t want to pay loads as they hope someone from academy will soon be able to step up. 

- Kelly is amazing and has interest from Man Utd (to which someone shouted - bloody play him then). 

- New training ground starting soon. 

- Jon Lansdown says the current badge doesn’t scream Bristol City. And neither does the Robin as other clubs have that. 

- Happy with academy and hopes to have at least 6 Bristolians in the first team in a few years. 

- There was free beer.  

- My mate said “that Ashton looks like a rogue trader to me - don’t like him”. 

Hang on ' Free beer ' .

Johnson in .

:clapping:

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not a lot Max

Training Ground

The EFL deal, of which in reality he said nothing

January recruitment - Said That our main job was not to recruit but to hang on to what we’ve got , ( sounded like JB def wanted away) 

Admitted we got recruitment wrong

And a new one I’d not heard, claimed we tried to buy off other Championship Clubs who wouldn’t consider business with us as we had become a threat which is feasible

I'm sorry but I don't understand your last sentence. 

I find the part about the Diedhiou transfer quite interesting. 

We signed Famara early on in the window, before we’d played any friendlies & seen how Reid would do as a striker. 

For us to be signing a striker to play alongside another player who hasn’t been played up front before doesn’t seem right to me, not sure I believe that! 

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He did make a bizarre claim at one point that

Thirty.....

yes 

thirty

Manchester United Scouts watched Lloyd Kelly at one game .....

As apparently United And Man City And someone else who I forget are using Lloyd as a case study

:dunno:

That could well be correct at a recent home game  a row of the seats behind the dugout where the youth teams normally sit was filled with blokes in identical black training gear, none showing any badges!

That’s exactly what I was suggesting Hodge

Give him complete governance / control of all development

Dont think he would have done it though, he’s very. Confident in his abilities 

I have tbh I fear his weakness might be the actual connection with and credibility with players and getting the best from them

He does say some strange things , and one minute sounds quite convincing , but then makes a big claim or says something that doesn’t come across as credible or make sense ....I can imagine players switching off from it 

I can see that experienced players would soon tire of his ' big talk' and more bizarre statements.

I just don't see LJ as a leader, I could well be wrong but for me, he doesn't have that aura or credibility.

I think , given time, he could well be a successful coach but not a manager or a HC.

IF he is removed from his current role I can see his next job as a first team coach or as Academy Head somewhere else.

As you say Bob - right man wrong job.

I think he probably does Shtanley

Im sure this may be part of the problem , When you talk to him stats and analysis and tactics the constant theme

My one bit of advice personally , would be put the stat packs and the lap tops aside, go with your footballing gut and what you’re watching not intricate stats

Would agree with most of that, aside from one point- which is that these becoming an increasingly important part of the game. Higher you go, more relevant it can be.

Saw on another site, Head of Football Analytics for Leicester vacancy. £80-100k something like that. LJ perhaps wants to give himself an edge, be up with and ahead of the curve in this sense. That job at that club, fairly established PL, top half/midtable, yet quite a big salary. Saw this part of the job description also shows the direction of travel for the Football side of Analytics.

DrgY4uqXQAED5ua.jpg:large

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Would agree with most of that, aside from one point- which is that these becoming an increasingly important part of the game. Higher you go, more relevant it can be.

Saw on another site, Head of Football Analytics for Leicester vacancy. £80-100k something like that. LJ perhaps wants to give himself an edge, be up with and ahead of the curve in this sense. That job at that club, fairly established PL, top half/midtable, yet quite a big salary. Saw this part of the job description also shows the direction of travel for the Football side of Analytics.

DrgY4uqXQAED5ua.jpg:large

perhaps he should leave it to the experts and focus on the coaching bit, he can always get their input 

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

perhaps he should leave it to the experts and focus on the coaching bit, he can always get their input 

Coaching- think he's good and more at that...up to a point.

The point where his effectiveness drops IMO is with more established players- great, at times fantastic with players on the up. Players be they strong Championship performers or played in the PL or top flights abroad, not always so much- and more worryingly from that perspective their effectiveness seems to drop over time under him. Not always but it's a worrying trend for me.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Coaching- think he's good and more at that...up to a point.

The point where his effectiveness drops IMO is with more established players- great, at times fantastic with players on the up. Players be they strong Championship performers or played in the PL or top flights abroad, not always so much- and more worryingly from that perspective their effectiveness seems to drop over time under him. Not always but it's a worrying trend for me.

They can probably see through the waffle. Old and cynical as I am, I can see/hear through the corporate/middle-management talk at work, while the younger ones are more impressionable. That doesn't make me resistant to change but I will ask for more clarity and information - which LJ might feel uncomfortable with when dealing with his more experienced players.

12 hours ago, Harry said:

- Jon Lansdown says the current badge doesn’t scream Bristol City. And neither does the Robin as other clubs have that. 

If that's the criteria I propose a photo of Lee Johnson and in the background one half depicting hell and the other high water. 

17 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

We don't need plastic bull shit

Do they still sell that at the Joke Shop?  ..

I remember having some plastic 'doggy doo doo' years ago and hours and hours of hilarious fun and laughter ensued. (top tip, drizzle a little liquid over and around it for a truly realistic display) … ;)  

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The attendance was again pitiful

LJ commented he was dissapointed 

It must give the impression that the fans aren’t actually that interested 

Putting aside any criticisms or concerns and there are many , I think they are a positive thing and would be much better if more attended , and they were longer

Tbf to LJ ,DH and JM they all hang around afterwards as did MA and JL and were there to ask direct questions - that’s the real value

Lee certainly had a polite grilling

It’s a shame about the attendance. But I was in London, taking the chance during International break that there would be no football, and then this is arranged. I would have liked to have attended, and I expect others were committed elsewhere too. For some fans who live 20 or 30 miles away or more it’s not easy either, perhaps worth the time and effort for a match but not otherwise. But my part it wasn’t lack of interest, just couldn’t be in two places at once.

Can you feed this back please @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO, I don’t mean about me personally, but I’m sure it isn’t lack of interest. Perhaps lack of faith anything will happen because of these meetings, but that’s down to the club to act on feedback. If people see ideas are being taken into consideration by the club they are more likely to interact? And on the other hand if the club explain why things are so and can’t happen people will listen I’m sure. 

I was there last night and, as others have said, the formal Q&A was not that informative, but the "afterchat" was good. LJ can certainly talk and talk about tactics, statistics, psychology etc. but he seems to make everything too complicated. If he was a Prem. manager where the players are smarter, fitter and faster, I can see that that management style might work, but in my opinion, the players who we can afford aren't savvy enough for this type of management and seemed confused at times. I was always told that football is a simple game, get the ball in your opponents half and stick it on the net. I know that all this tech. speak is the modern way, sometimes done to impress, but it all seems over the top to me. I say get back to basics, pick your best team, encourage and praise them and stick with them for half a dozen games, come what may.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, RedM said:

Can you feed this back please @Matt Parsons BCFCSLO, I don’t mean about me personally, but I’m sure it isn’t lack of interest. Perhaps lack of faith anything will happen because of these meetings, but that’s down to the club to act on feedback. If people see ideas are being taken into consideration by the club they are more likely to interact? And on the other hand if the club explain why things are so and can’t happen people will listen I’m sure. 

That's why I asked about the SC&T, I thought they organised the ones at away matches, and am sure there was mention that a future event would take place on a matchday about noon? 

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

That's why I asked about the SC&T, I thought they organised the ones at away matches, and am sure there was mention that a future event would take place on a matchday about noon? 

To be honest I was reading backwards and read your post just after I posted, you made pretty much the same points as me first. Either the club has to reach out into the communities within its catchment area or a better idea as you say is to do something early on a match day, or perhaps an hour or so afterwards ( when LJ prays for a win ?). 

11 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That’s exactly what I was suggesting Hodge

Give him complete governance / control of all development

Dont think he would have done it though, he’s very. Confident in his abilities 

I have tbh I fear his weakness might be the actual connection with and credibility with players and getting the best from them

He does say some strange things , and one minute sounds quite convincing , but then makes a big claim or says something that doesn’t come across as credible or make sense ....I can imagine players switching off from it 

Nice summary of events BobBob. Thanks.

Always difficult reading others analysis of events due to likelihood of selective evidence being used to reinforce prejudices/stances. However, it is a bit alarming that LJ in person appears the same LJ as presented through the media. Ok I’m getting on now but still not convinced that the snowflake generation of footballers couldn’t be better managed by a naturally strong motivator and leader who, if they don’t fear, have massive respect for. 

Suppose the counter argument would be ‘look at Gareth Southgate’. But then again as a footballer, he was known as a good captain/talker. 

Please no Concorde on the badge, that’s just crass. Suspension Bridge, gate and robin with, if required, a modern twist. Tells you all you need to know about our Football Club.

Things don’t look like they’re going to be improving soon. Oh dear. We always appear to have the best intentions, but never seem to get it just right. May be that could be the Club motto. 

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

They can probably see through the waffle. Old and cynical as I am, I can see/hear through the corporate/middle-management talk at work, while the younger ones are more impressionable. That doesn't make me resistant to change but I will ask for more clarity and information - which LJ might feel uncomfortable with when dealing with his more experienced players.

Nail.....Head.....On

Thanks to all who attended and have reported back to us exiles.

The comments fully reflect my views about where LJ's faults lie, and go some way to explaining the highs and lows of his teams 

I fear this particular dog won't be learning new tricks any time soon.  He appears to be somewhat over confident in himself - is arrogance too strong a word to use?

Rather depressing in my opinion

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

He did come out with the ‘No one in Bristol hurts more when we lose’ ( Personally I cringe when he keeps saying that) at which point a guy quite forcefully said ‘No you don’t,  Ive been a season ticket holder for 60 yrs , you don’t hurt more than I do’

Neuroscience can measure this and determine who hurts most. I want to see the club organise this. We need to know. I suggest we arrange it for immediately after the next time we play Preston. 

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree

Ohhhhh

Reminds me

Training ground

Finally got the all clear from Sec of State 10 days ago

Hope to start work in spring

Will take 18 months before they can move the whole academy etc over to Failand but the training ground will be ‘the business’

So training ground to be up and running in about 2 years from now, assuming no delays on what was said.

13 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Well said that fan. :clap:

Plus a hell of a lot of us have been regulars at AG since long before LJ was even born.

He really doesn't help himself sometimes.

Doesn’t he? You go into your job on a Monday, safe in the knowledge City losing is disappointing but not your fault. If you knew it was your personal responsibility I imagine it would “hurt” a lot more. Not an argument I imagine LJ wants to pick with a fan, but we are precious.

It is very funny how whenever someone doesn’t do a Fans’ Forum or an interview, they are hiding... but if they front up, everyone is suddenly busy.

Archived