IGNORED

Media team mistakes day after day (Merged)

cidered abroad

41 minutes ago, just like watching brazil said:

Not as bad as tipping point earlier  who asked which premier league team do Prince William support? Answer was Aston Villa 

I never knew Tipping Point was now being shown of Challenge TV.

(I can't be the only person who watches vintage Bullseye)

3 hours ago, just like watching brazil said:

Not as bad as tipping point earlier  who asked which premier league team do Prince William support? Answer was Aston Villa 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Confused, what is wrong with this @just like watching brazil

Well, they ain’t a premier league club but the other thing that is wrong is that it should say ‘which premier league team does Prince William support?’ 

This whole scenario is really sad, but was completely avoidable. As we saw in the summer, Jon Lansdown wants to imprint his vision on City’s branding, and the way we have known things - considered postings appealing to the traditional football fan rather than prioritising likes and retweets - are over.

There are still some really good people in the City media team. I don’t know the new head of communications beyond his name, but the fact he used to be head of media for the B&I Lions speaks volumes about where an actual understanding of our fan base lies on the club’s priority list (I’m sure @Robbored can testify that football is not his primary sport) should speak volumes.

It’s sad more than anything though for me. Things are always likely to be better-received when things are going well; Head2Head in the promotion season wouldn’t have had quite the same ring to it had we been in a relegation scrap, but seriously. Fishing for RTs when Harry Redknapp relates the club’s name to a pair of tits? Cringe-worthy twitter polls run by “social media gurus”, no doubt, with self-deprecating “banter” about whether they should shut up? Who exactly is this appealing to?

Everything since Adam’s departure, and he really did pitch the tone right nine times out of 10, has all the hallmarks of a naive approach led by people who are just interested in engagement figures and not with actual engagement, and Jon fits that billing perfectly. The new social media executive would appear right up that street too.

It’s doubly sad because clickbait in news websites is a means to an end. It sells ad revenue which newspapers need to survive, even if it is short-sighted and shit. Whereas Bristol City’s fortunes are not going to be affected by how many people RT a video of Marlon Pack dancing in a game we lost, whether it gets retweets or not. The only thing it will affect is pissing off and alienating the loyal fan base in a season where we’ve got more than enough to be grumpy about anyway.

14 hours ago, RonWalker said:

This whole scenario is really sad, but was completely avoidable. As we saw in the summer, Jon Lansdown wants to imprint his vision on City’s branding, and the way we have known things - considered postings appealing to the traditional football fan rather than prioritising likes and retweets - are over.

There are still some really good people in the City media team. I don’t know the new head of communications beyond his name, but the fact he used to be head of media for the B&I Lions speaks volumes about where an actual understanding of our fan base lies on the club’s priority list (I’m sure @Robbored can testify that football is not his primary sport) should speak volumes.

It’s sad more than anything though for me. Things are always likely to be better-received when things are going well; Head2Head in the promotion season wouldn’t have had quite the same ring to it had we been in a relegation scrap, but seriously. Fishing for RTs when Harry Redknapp relates the club’s name to a pair of tits? Cringe-worthy twitter polls run by “social media gurus”, no doubt, with self-deprecating “banter” about whether they should shut up? Who exactly is this appealing to?

Everything since Adam’s departure, and he really did pitch the tone right nine times out of 10, has all the hallmarks of a naive approach led by people who are just interested in engagement figures and not with actual engagement, and Jon fits that billing perfectly. The new social media executive would appear right up that street too.

It’s doubly sad because clickbait in news websites is a means to an end. It sells ad revenue which newspapers need to survive, even if it is short-sighted and shit. Whereas Bristol City’s fortunes are not going to be affected by how many people RT a video of Marlon Pack dancing in a game we lost, whether it gets retweets or not. The only thing it will affect is pissing off and alienating the loyal fan base in a season where we’ve got more than enough to be grumpy about anyway.

The new social media exec comes from Surrey has no link or care about the club.  He’s losing followers on an hourly basis. Completely driving fans further against the club. I reckon the last time the guy saw a naked girl was when he was 4 and shared the bath with his sister. 

6 minutes ago, PhilC said:

"U K".... Seriously?

They've just lost another one. ?

13th unfollower of the day.   Last sat must of been special - didn’t play and still lost 50 followers. 

10 minutes ago, TomF said:

13th unfollower of the day.   Last sat must of been special - didn’t play and still lost 50 followers. 

I'm fed up with it Tom, I really am. I have just tweeted a reply and was just writing a second one but I don't know if the comments will even get read (I was also going to tag Matt Parsons). It honestly makes me sad to see that account in that state.

22 minutes ago, TomF said:

How do you see stuff like how many people unfollow a day or is it something you've kept track of?

7 minutes ago, hodge said:

How do you see stuff like how many people unfollow a day or is it something you've kept track of?

Plenty of free tools out there, such as...

https://socialblade.com/twitter/user/bristolcity/monthly

... a word of caution though, any large/bulk numbers of unfollowers will be Twitter’s automated ‘bot’ remover in action, after closing down spam/automated accounts, not genuine accounts unfollowing. 

Archived