IGNORED

Laptop advice

Dollymarie

Hello lovely people (and g*sheads)

I wanna buy foster son a new laptop for Christmas. I’ve got a budget of around £150ish quid, maybe a few pennies more.

He doesn’t need anything too special, doing his college work, he plays roblox and also watches a lot of you tube. Maybe one that has a bloody good long range for picking up the WiFi in the house as his room is the one furthest away from the router and his phone won’t reach the WiFi from there. Not sure if that sort of thing exists. 

Happy to look at Black Friday stuff or elsewhere. Just one with an ok amount of space on it, and a processor that will cope with the above mentioned. Oh and he’s a clumsy sod, so something not too flimsy  

Any ideas please? 

Might want to consider a Chromebook for that sort of budget, it will do everything he needs.

That sort of budget wont get you a lot in terms of a Windows laptop but you could pick up a resonable refurbished one for that sort of money.

Could always stick a wifi extender somewhere between your router and his room or try a powerline adapter - this lets you route your internet around your electrical circuits and you can connect via another socket in your house.

17 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Could always stick a wifi extender somewhere between your router and his room or try a powerline adapter - this lets you route your internet around your electrical circuits and you can connect via another socket in your house.

I had one of those. Plugged it in and nothing happened. I did exactly what it said but it didn’t work. :( 

3 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

I had one of those. Plugged it in and nothing happened. I did exactly what it said but it didn’t work. :( 

Yeh they do rely on the sockets you want to use being on the same electrical loop. E.g your downstairs sockets might on a different one to your upstairs sockets. In that case an extender somewhere in between the two rooms would probably be the best bet.

8 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Yeh they do rely on the sockets you want to use being on the same electrical loop. E.g your downstairs sockets might on a different one to your upstairs sockets. In that case an extender somewhere in between the two rooms would probably be the best bet.

I live in a flat so it all goes sideways, hence too many walls for the WiFi signal to get through. 

Is there an easy way to work out which ones are on the same loop. I had the place rewired when moved in, so it’s all only just over 3 years old. 

1 minute ago, Dollymarie said:

I live in a flat so it all goes sideways, hence too many walls for the WiFi signal to get through. 

Is there an easy way to work out which ones are on the same loop. I had the place rewired when moved in, so it’s all only just over 3 years old. 

You might have some info in your RCD box (fuse box). The individual switches will probably be labled, everything listed for that switch will be on the same loop i believe. Im no electrcian mind you!

The wifi extender will be far easier to install. It plugs into a socket but it just picks up your wifi signal and then pushes it out again at a greater strength, that sounds like it would sort the issue for you.

41 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

So this sort of thing would do the job?

ASUS C202SA-GJ0027 11.6-inch Chromebook Ruggedised and Water Resistant Design with 180 degree Hinge (Dark Blue) - (Intel Celeron N3060 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB eMMC, Chrome OS) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073Q44S56/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_GOQ7Bb5MA19VE

Yep something like that is good. Note the spill resistant keyboard ?

Just echoing the Chromebook option too. My daughter and husband both have one and have hammered them with use and still they are the go to option, and we have a couple of PC’s, laptops, numerous tablets and iPads here. You really can’t do much wrong with them as it all works off the WiFi. I don’t know much about boosters though.

On 11/12/2018 at 21:26, Dollymarie said:

Ok, another silly question. If I want to get him a wireless mouse, are they just all the same and will work with the chromebook regardless? The chromebook has 2 USB ports on it, so I presume the mouse receiver just plugs into that?

Yes Dolly

Comes with a little receiver that plugs into a USB port eliminating the need for a cable

Archived