IGNORED

Club Crest to change? Fans Survey (Merged)

Yozzarian

The club want a badge that instantly recognisable like Wolves, Liverpool, Forest, Ipswich and Spurs  rather than the heraldic badge of Bristol which is similar to certain other clubs, Wigan for example.

Ask pretty much any fan from other parts of the country what they associate with Bristol and plenty would say the Suspension Bridge and that the city is/was a sea port. 

So......a new badge design should include one or both. A tall ship would represent Bristol’s maritime history....

1 hour ago, Yozzarian said:

So I have just received the following via email, thoughts?

'We are looking to update our club crest in order to support the next chapter of our proud history. 

Our current crest has served us well, but with renewed ambition and desire to be progressive and forward thinking both on and off the pitch, we feel it is time to create a strong, new identity of our own. 

Something that is uniquely Bristol City, that we can truly own and all get behind. An identity that will stand us apart from the rest. 

To help this process, we would value the thoughts and opinions of our fanbase and would therefore encourage you to complete the following survey.'

Something half-arsed then?

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You’re right, our current badge has been used by the gas, Glos CCC and Bristol rugby in the past, not unique to us at all....

Not unique but it does say "Bristol".

And "City", "FC" and "1897" to distinguish it from the other teams you mention and make it pretty unmistakable.

Unlike the Robin which at the last count could be any one of Cheltenham, Swindon or Bristol.

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not unique but it does say "Bristol".

And "City", "FC" and "1897" to distinguish it from the other teams you mention and make it pretty unmistakable.

Unlike the Robin which at the last count could be any one of Cheltenham, Swindon or Bristol.

I think we were founded in 1894 - anyway, that aside, I know what you are saying about the robin, but I think it worked really well when linked with the Suspension Bridge - a world famous landmark that is just down the road from our stadium and which is instantly recognisable as being ‘Bristol.’ A modern interpretation of the robin and the Bridge would give us a powerful identity - it’s a nod to the past and a look to the future...

33 minutes ago, dazza247 said:

True. To be considering changing the badge must have been considered by the board of directors though. I can't imagine it's something the marketing team would have the authority to go about something as controversial as that without the permission of those higher up. Jon Lansdown came across well recently in the interview he did about producing our own kit etc. Having a different badge on a third kit doesn't bother me but changing our official badge is something that needs to be agreed upon by supporters in my opinion. It just seems like an unnecessary thing to be thinking about right now. Who are we planning to attract with our new badge? The people of Bristol/the Westcountry know perfectly well who we are already!

I'm confused...changing the badge appears to be something that the fans are being allowed to agree on. So on I've hand you're saying the board shouldn't be doing this and on the other hand saying that they should. People have the ability to multi task and having more than one focus is completely normal in all walks of life.

53 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

This please!!!!!!!

2C621110-36C3-44FC-BCB4-5DF844DD1534.jpeg.1f1649ed7275ef9f1406841626a924a1.jpeg

A bird that looks like it's vomiting on a 1950s football. Hmmm, no thanks.

I may be in a minority, but I'm happy for us to have Bristol's coat of arms. We represent Bristol rather than embarrass it like the other lot. O.T.I.B

46 minutes ago, dazza247 said:

True. To be considering changing the badge must have been considered by the board of directors though. I can't imagine it's something the marketing team would have the authority to go about something as controversial as that without the permission of those higher up. Jon Lansdown came across well recently in the interview he did about producing our own kit etc. Having a different badge on a third kit doesn't bother me but changing our official badge is something that needs to be agreed upon by supporters in my opinion. It just seems like an unnecessary thing to be thinking about right now. Who are we planning to attract with our new badge? The people of Bristol/the Westcountry know perfectly well who we are already!

I don't believe Jon Lansdown picks the team either .

7 minutes ago, lenred said:

Snap. You sir, are obviously a man of impeccable taste! 

Get a room .

**** the **** off. Everything is getting modernised, we’re losing our history, tradition, core fan base and this just doesn’t feel like the club I fell in love with anymore.

Respect our traditions and stop ******* changing everything, it’s not as if it’s bringing mass success on the pitch, we’re just doing it for the sake of it.

Clubs like Wednesday, Man City, Brentford etc have lost some cracking badges for modern, shit ones. Don’t be the same City. 

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

3 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Bristol Cities are lady bags, so what about a stylised pair of norks and a suspension bridge backdrop?

Finally someone’s coming up with a real solution!

Wasn't one of the potential things on the survey something like ‘not being afraid to be unconventional’ - this would certainly put a tick in that box :laugh: 

Surely what they want to keep ‘on brand’  is a football version of the Bristol Bears logo. A giant head of a Robin or perhaps just the bridge. Two colours, red on white or white on red, purple and lime or whatever. Clean and Simple, easy to reproduce and recognise. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

At least they’re actually consulting fans. We moan when they don’t and now we’re moaning when they do....

Its frequently a box ticking exercise. Consultation is frequently a one way one way dialogue. Bristol Sport here have already decided how the process will work. Best practice would have included fans bodies e.g. Supporters trust at the outset.

1 minute ago, RedM said:

Surely what they want to keep ‘on brand’  is a football version of the Bristol Bears logo. A giant head of a Robin or perhaps just the bridge. Two colours, red on white or white on red, purple and lime or whatever. Clean and Simple, easy to reproduce and recognise. 

I really really really hope not! 

15 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Seeing as we have a resident Leeds fan here and they had a recent success with a rebrand, let’s get some thoughts from @Cjay;) 

Cant give you any, ive erased all thoughts from our "rebrand" out of my mind. 

Lets be honest, it was ******* awful that badge wasnt it :grr:

1 hour ago, phantom said:

It's gone out to those people on their mailing list, for anyone not on the list I've put the link in at the start of this thread

I haven't received it. I'm a lowly away fan and very occasional POTD AG attendee. 

Tbh from the sounds of it I should count myself lucky I am not being made to choose between the PSG crest and the Starbucks logo.

7 minutes ago, RedM said:

I didn’t say I wanted it, but I’m sure that’s where we are heading. 

Appreciate that you weren’t agreeing with it M.Hoping it will be something similar to what’s on the away kit currently and not something that looks like it’s been designed by a 10 year old at coding class. 

20 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

**** the **** off. Everything is getting modernised, we’re losing our history, tradition, core fan base and this just doesn’t feel like the club I fell in love with anymore.

Respect our traditions and stop ******* changing everything, it’s not as if it’s bringing mass success on the pitch, we’re just doing it for the sake of it.

Clubs like Wednesday, Man City, Brentford etc have lost some cracking badges for modern, shit ones. Don’t be the same City. 

@Matt Parsons BCFCSLO

Don't know how old you are, but I grew up with the robin. I'm not Bristolian, so I don't give a flying **** about the Bristol coat of arms

As others have said, give me something like Wolves, Derby, Tottenham. You don't even need the club name on there, you instantly know who it is. I've said it so many times, the current badge could be any Northern club, Huddersfield, Bury, Burnley - they all look so samey

One other thing. How are we losing our history and tradition? 

Archived