IGNORED

Club Crest to change? Fans Survey (Merged)

Yozzarian

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Wolves have been Wolves since their inception. WTF have ' Bears ' got to do with Bristol Rugby Club ?

It's the ridiculous name change not the badge which is in question.

Yeah I was referring purely to the logo rather than the name/rebrand. I’m not remotely interested in the rugby but I’d not be at all happy about a change of name for the football club so I sympathise. 

16 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Yeah I was referring purely to the logo rather than the name/rebrand. I’m not remotely interested in the rugby but I’d not be at all happy about a change of name for the football club so I sympathise. 

Their logo has been so for nearly 40 yrs

Good comparison

Best badges are simple and instantly recognisable like Forest and Wolves.

Would be delighted to dump the crest which is for the City of Bristol and not Bristol City (IMO).

Updated robin and suspension bridge would be nice as the bridge differentiates us from other clubs with a robin but any decent robin badge without the crest. No need for date either.

39 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Wolves have been Wolves since their inception. WTF have ' Bears ' got to do with Bristol Rugby Club ?

It's the ridiculous name change not the badge which is in question.

Bristol rugby have just followed suit with the majority of other premier league teams:

Exeter Chiefs

Newcastle Falcons

Northampton Saints

Worcester Warriors

Sale Sharks  

Bedford Blues

Doncaster Knights

Cornish Pirates 

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Funny thing is that the Wolves badge is frequently cited as a good, instantly recognisable, clean looking badge, yet the fans have derided the Bristol Bears logo which is conceptually very similar! 

Funny old game. 

26 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I don’t know what point you’re trying to make Bob with your snidey comments. 

I simply pointed out that the new rugby logo was similar in design to that of Wolves. 

Wolves have always been Wolves and people recognise their badge because of

a) That

b) It’s been their emblem since 1979

The renaming and branding of the egg chasers is a modern contrived trend for the modern masses  - and it’s not gone down too well 

I’ll leave you to work out that’ it’s nothing to do with concept 

Snide coming from Mr Sarcastic Post is a gem 

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Wolves have always been Wolves and people recognise their badge because of

a) That

b) It’s been their emblem since 1979

The renaming and branding of the egg chasers is a modern contrived trend for the modern masses  - and it’s not gone down too well 

Their emblem has been through multiple phases of change like most football clubs and it’s current incarnation - an evolution of that used since 79 - bears no resemblance at all to that of their origin  

At no point was I making a commentary on the rights and wrongs of the modern trend of ‘rebranding’ clubs but the evolution/change of badges is not a new concept or one limited to Bristol Sport / BCFC. 

I know nothing about rugby and don’t pretend to, I was simply drawing a simple comparison between the design of the two badges (clean, simple, not overly fussy).

Nothing more, nothing less. 

There is a lot of different designs out there this one done a couple of years ago with help of cider head.

I like it because it represents our country, it shows the iconic suspension bridge of bristol which we can see from the stadium and has a newer design of the robin which is a part of our history and our nickname(identity). Sorry I haven't changed the date I haven't got around to it

1118471342_226155_10151353848667508_1523465984_n1-Copy-Copy(3)-Copy-Copy.jpg.b06f0265fb33398f6f8ee8db28507e88.jpg

1 minute ago, Threshing Red said:

There is a lot of different designs out there this one done a couple of years ago with help of cider head.

I like it because it represents our country, it shows the iconic suspension bridge of bristol which we can see from the stadium and has a newer design of the robin which is a part of our history and our nickname(identity). Sorry I haven't changed the date I haven't got around to it

1118471342_226155_10151353848667508_1523465984_n1-Copy-Copy(3)-Copy-Copy.jpg.b06f0265fb33398f6f8ee8db28507e88.jpg

Imagine Junior allowing a St George on our badge !

Further proof that football is simply about merchandising / branding  ££££ 

Becoming one big plastic circus

The

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Their emblem has been through multiple phases of change like most football clubs and it’s current incarnation - an evolution of that used since 79 - bears no resemblance at all to that of their origin  

At no point was I making a commentary on the rights and wrongs of the modern trend of ‘rebranding’ clubs but the evolution/change of badges is not a new concept or one limited to Bristol Sport / BCFC. 

I know nothing about rugby and don’t pretend to, I was simply drawing a simple comparison between the design of the two badges (clean, simple, not overly fussy).

Nothing more, nothing less. 

With you on this, wasn’t hard to see the point you were making. 

Personally think the Wolves badge is crap.

19 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Imagine Junior allowing a St George on our badge !

Further proof that football is simply about merchandising / branding  ££££ 

Becoming one big plastic circus

22 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

That's a cracking badge.

But you cannot have our country's flag on the badge as it will offend to many people haha

The club would have already designed the new badge, nothing more than making it look like there was fan engagement. 

I’d wager it will be in the style of the bears logo, then basketball will also change, 

10 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Not sure where the kiddie is who put that one together and quite a few others is now. It was done and  turned out to be quite a success because so many fans do not like the crest. It is also very easy to reproduce, draw and spray etc.  

I personally think it looks dreadful for a clubs crest. For a fans thing it looks good but not an official club crest, 

6 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

The club would have already designed the new badge, nothing more than making it look like there was fan engagement. 

I’d wager it will be in the style of the bears logo, then basketball will also change, 

I personally think it looks dreadful for a clubs crest. For a fans thing it looks good but not an official club crest, 

Just putting it out why it existed. Nobody has ever said it was for a club crest just a fans alternative because the club crest was so unpopular. So versions of Ernie/Angry Robin were created to have a crack at representing together things the crest doesnt. It was about more than just Bristol!

27 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Totally agree. 

Looks fine on clothing or flags but it’s too ‘cartoony’ to be the official club badge for my liking.

Seem to remember Barnsley using a dog that looked like a Warner Bros cartoon character a few years ago. Just doesn’t look right.

I’d love a return to the 80s Robin badge but I reckon there’s fat chance of that happening. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Snide coming from Mr Sarcastic Post is a gem 

To be fair I think Bristol Bears have achieved record season ticket sales and record shirt sales. There has been criticism and upset of course but it does seem to have created a bit of a buzz and I'm afraid so far the bean counters will have considered it a success. 

I'd imagine the experience has given BS the confidence that they can do something similar with City.

FWIW I've never really felt much of a connection with the current badge but really like the robin badge and that's what I've had on my flags so I'd welcome an updated version of the robin /bridge.

5 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Very true.

Fwiw, and because you've said before that you follow Gloucester Rugby, I'll add that I've followed Bristol Rugby for as long as I've followed the City and so my views on this thread are coloured by what I consider to be an appalling re-brand of my rugby team.

Being a cynical old git, I've little doubt someone has already decided "the Robins" will join "the Bears" under the Bristol Sport umbrella and this survey is a fait accompli, mere window dressing.

I think the awful Bears 'brand' will have scarred a lot of City/Bristol fans. It's awful. There were plenty of rumours that we would become Gloucester Lions, thankfully that didn't (or hasn't yet!) come to pass. I actually like the new Gloucester badge, again I'm not attached to the Gloucester coat of arms, and I like the see things freshened up every decade or so. As long as we wear red and white the rest is changeable for me

7 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I think the awful Bears 'brand' will have scarred a lot of City/Bristol fans. It's awful. There were plenty of rumours that we would become Gloucester Lions, thankfully that didn't (or hasn't yet!) come to pass. I actually like the new Gloucester badge, again I'm not attached to the Gloucester coat of arms, and I like the see things freshened up every decade or so. As long as we wear red and white the rest is changeable for me

Genuine question, what did you (and others) make of the pink European kit?

My impression is that tinkering with names, kits and brands doesn't prompt the same reaction in rugby that it does in football. It would seem more accepted.

• Admin
26 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

To be fair I think Bristol Bears have achieved record season ticket sales and record shirt sales. 

Genuinely interested to read this I had wondered how this season had compared, but the promotion and being the biggest spenders in the league (on individual player) was the real driving force behind tyhii, nothing to do with the name / badge change 

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Genuinely interested to read this I had wondered how this season had compared, but the promotion and being the biggest spenders in the league (on individual player) was the real driving force behind tyhii, nothing to do with the name / badge change 

But the point is the name/badge change has not put supporters off. And in rugby I wouldn't have expected it to I suppose. The Bears were the Shoguns not that long ago- named after a car FFS!

I maintain the rebrand has gone well and think it will serve Bristol well over the coming years.

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

How many times has Tan been promoted to the Premier League

How many times as Lansdown been promoted to the Premier League

I hope we get what we deserve in time too 

Wasn’t really thinking that Kid or in any way anticipating it 

More ........cringeworthy social media ...tacky kits and branding branding branding 

Archived