IGNORED

Club Crest to change? Fans Survey (Merged)

Yozzarian

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Personally, I would prefer the return of the robin, but I can understand those who consider this not to be unique as owls are to Sheffield Wednesday etc. After the last war we changed our nickname from The Babes to The Robins, so why not rebrand us again as a compromise and identify ourselves with an animal unique to us, especially as the Robin has been serving us in a much reduced capacity for nearly 30 years.

With this in mind, I nominate two red animals for your consideration:

1. The Red Panda (guaranteed to win us many floating fans due to its cuteness).

2. The Strawberry Poison Frog (guaranteed to do quite the opposite. Indeed, any floating fans will be looking to make land at the earliest opportunity).

To my knowledge no other club has the nickname The Strawberry Poison Frogs or, for that matter, The Red Pandas. Just imagine the fear engendered in the hearts of opposing fans when they read in their programmes, 'This afternoon we welcome our visitors from the West Country The Strawberry Poison Frogs'.  Put it this way, if someone told you that a robin was in your back garden you would most likely go outside and take a look. If someone told you that a neighbour's strawberry poison frog was on the loose you'd barricade yourself in and plug up any gaps and put your will and estate in order just in case.

Of course, a strawberry poison frog wouldn't make a great mascot. It would scare the kids witless (as well as most adults). So that is where the red panda would come into its own. On afternoon matches the red panda can be on duty in its cuddly, cute costume. Then on the night matches the strawberry poison frog can take over as it will then be past the watershed.

Maybe we should just add a dash of black to our red and white - go for a Panda and corner the Chinese market, all those people, money and tech... let's strike before anyone else. If it all goes to rot we could always try to get a foot in the door of the US by renaming ourselves the Trash Pandas 

trash-panda5.jpg

Let's hope the club don't go down the concord route as it was made and flown in north bristol, that won't do. What about a hot air balloon as that bobbles along like our club perhaps one with the suspension bridge. I think the first commercial balloon was made in bristol.

13 minutes ago, Threshing Red said:

Let's hope the club don't go down the concord route as it was made and flown in north bristol, that won't do. What about a hot air balloon as that bobbles along like our club perhaps one with the suspension bridge. I think the first commercial balloon was made in bristol.

Concorde is as much french as it is British (south Gloucestershire)

Concorde 001 (built in France) made its first test flight on March 2nd 1969. Concorde 002 (built in the UK) first flew on April 9th 1969. The first commercial flights of Concorde took place on January 21st 1976. British Airways flew their Concorde from Heathrow Airport to Bahrain, and Air France flew from Paris to Rio. British Airways Concorde flights from London to New York and back used the flight numbers BA001 to BA004. Since the retirement of Concorde, these flight numbers are no longer used.

12 minutes ago, cider head said:

Concorde 001 (built in France) made its first test flight on March 2nd 1969. Concorde 002 (built in the UK) first flew on April 9th 1969. The first commercial flights of Concorde took place on January 21st 1976. British Airways flew their Concorde from Heathrow Airport to Bahrain, and Air France flew from Paris to Rio. British Airways Concorde flights from London to New York and back used the flight numbers BA001 to BA004. Since the retirement of Concorde, these flight numbers are no longer used.

Nice to hear from you cider head. What's your thoughts on the clubs proposal of a new badge?

33 minutes ago, cider head said:

Correct, it's as much, if not more a Toulouse thing. 

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

These were suggestions placed on Facebook by someone....interesting 

0C550A65-EFCE-456C-8D5B-7E0318FB46BC.jpeg

0031B222-F5CE-4626-B7E0-E657300D074C.jpeg

Look awful.

2 hours ago, cider head said:

Use what we have on the white and black away kit, anything other than a robin sucks 

Couldn't disagree more. 

10 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

If you're going down the robin route then I would add that when it comes to animals as crests I personally think that a simpler, abstract design works well.

Derby's ram, Swansea's swan, even the old Sheff Wed owl or Leicester fox all work well as they are simple outlines of an animal.  Also good are the simple silhouette's that Spurs and clubs like Torino or FC Koln use.

Too much detail confuses the image and detracts from the bold statement that you are trying to make.

Take Torino's badge as an example:

Image result for torino badges

Now, replace the word Torino with Bristol, 1906 with 1894, and the bull with a simple silhouette or line drawn robin. Make the robin a tad smaller so you can fit "City" underneath it. Then play around with white on red or red on white, play with fonts and stuff, remove the "FC" entirely.

I reckon that would look half decent.

I like that, keep it simple

IMG_20181122_213331.jpg

The only badge is the robin.    We don’t need a new badge.  , leeds tried and were mocked by everyone and had to climb down.  

We don’t need a Bristol sport franchaise rebranding.   It’s like someone is trying to justify their role , or had been given a project. To keep them busy.    

Call me sceptical.  Johnson under the cosh and signs matty Taylor. Bing deflection 

change of badge  bing  deflection ! 

Surely the club bring back the robin on the white away kit and training tops which lots of fans wear   , surely proves there is fan demand there and for Bristol sport money to be made 

On 18/11/2018 at 12:00, Magic Man said:

I think the new badge should feature both the robin and the bridge. 
I believe the club will go for a minimal stripped back version. With that in mind here's my attempt - based loosely on an idea seen on OTIB previously (sorry not sure who did it)

Screenshot 2018-11-18 at 11.58.42.png

I would buy gear with this on. That is the cleanest attempt I've seen, minimal with as few separate lines as you can get away with. Just got to do the 1894 bit!

I believe the club will go for a minimal stripped back version. With that in mind here's my attempt - based loosely on an idea seen on OTIB previously (sorry not sure who did it)

25 minutes ago, Olé said:

I would buy gear with this on. That is the cleanest attempt I've seen, minimal with as few separate lines as you can get away with. Just got to do the 1894 bit!

I hadn't seen this post when I used Torino as an example. This is exactly what I'm thinking of. Also you can use this as white on a red shirt or red on a white shirt. It's flexible.

A very interesting design Chief...my only comment....the point of our Robins nickname is because they have a red breast, yours seeems a bit pale....apart from that, I like it!

15 hours ago, bris red said:

Even though the suspension bridge is a symbol of Bristol, is it really a symbol to solely use to identify Bristol City..? A tree will always symbolise Forest but just a bridge is a bit random for us IMO. If we are going to go along the simplistic route then just a Robin i think is the best shout..

But we do represent Bristol and there’s nothing more iconic. Plus it’s right on our doorstep.

The Robin represents too many clubs for it to be considered ours. Cheltenham badge for example.

Probably the best attempt we’ve seen yet. Nice one. Definitely the direction I would go in terms of clean and simple rather than cluttered. 

For me I’d probably tidy it up further by removing the year altogether (stops the never ending 94 v 97 argument (which will only ever end one way!) and cleans it up again. Then raise the bridge bit so the robins head doesn’t overlap it. 

I’d be keen to see a version without the Bristol City text too and see whether you could ever imagine it being synonymous with the club without having to be spelled out. 

Cracking effort though. 

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That’s the sort of thing that would bring us in line with the Bears. It’s not quite there but the concept is a start.

As I said previously it’s simple, easy to reproduce, would look good in any two colour combination to match our kits. 

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The top image is probably the best of the recent new drafts imo. Very simple and no need for our name or date. I’d have the robin facing right though.

Not a fan of the image Magic Man posted. Just too fussy trying to get the name, date, bridge, robin and football in. 

Can see BS going for something much simpler going by the Bears re-brand anyway. Really hope it’s not something like Concorde though.

CC

150px-Norwich_City.svg.png

3 hours ago, Unan said:

CC

150px-Norwich_City.svg.png

Think it's a fair point, but perhaps could be negated by reducing size of Robin and making the Bridge stand out a bit more, perhaps include the towers. 

For me, it's still the closest to being modern without a total rebrand, which definitely think would be a bad decision. 

13 minutes ago, Fiale said:

1132020855_Screenshot2018-11-18at11_58_42.thumb.png.5b48ed369b19852d0f23410285615382.png.938a3a7d08773c22aad286effc731c93.png

As above with a actual red breast and without the "Bristol City"  we know who we are, and the idea is for a recognizable badge that stands on it's own. Red does not quite match as done on the fly in paint.

The breast is far too big imo - never thought I'd say that - most noticeable on the coloured in one above, but on the original too.

Can someone do a breast reduction?

Archived