IGNORED

Club Crest to change? Fans Survey (Merged)

Yozzarian

On 19/11/2018 at 08:34, Ohbasso said:

How about this? I honestly think it looks great on this years away kit. It’s unique, simple and has the three main things most people want. I think after a few years of using it again people wouldn’t even need to see the writing around it to know that it’s us either.

21E34D58-5AFB-41B5-9DAE-418CC5BF2C84.jpeg

For me this the badge to have 

Not sure the writing is needed, as modern badges don't tend to have any text with them nowadays

On 18/11/2018 at 16:32, Dollymarie said:

Can’t be too similar to the SC&T badge. 

86E6D3F1-4CC0-4E7D-A58B-A2C7A1B41E40.png

Is there any Trademarking etc on this logo?

Hopefully the dull, indistinctive, and uninspiring modern crest will be ditched for good, and replaced on shirts and merchandise by Bristol City's unique Robin and Suspension Bridge badge.

The signs are good the club realise change is needed and will be popular, let's hope the change is the right one. :fingerscrossed:

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Based on what Junior had to say at the forum, I’d be worried about what we’re gonna end up with. 

Ain’t gonna be the current robin - that’s obvious 

Not even gonna be a robin I'd bet.

Going proper ******* out there I reckon.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I get that impression - no robin -  think it will be something completely new

It'll be modern, sleek, dynamic (buzzwords for a squiggle made by a graphic designer for 50k).

I fear the worst Bob.

Image result for leed badge

Remember how badly this one went down. 

Think ours will be similar in terms of reception, and that's without even seeing it. I'm uncomfortable with them coming up with something completely new, if we embraced the robin, people would identify us with it. Cheltenham and Swindon are insignificant. 

I hate it when things like this happen, because it drives out the vocal parts of three conflicting and clueless crowds.

1. The board, who want a fresh brand to match their other ambitions, usually around marketing "the brand". A crest without soul is usually on the cards, because who gives a **** about soul or meaning? Robins don't pay the bills.
  2. Brand agencies, where you're likely to have a London agency full of hipster designer ***** that would call us "Bristol" and aren't aware that there is a league below the Premier League.
  3. The fans, who for the most part, don't have a creative bone in their body, but are committed to designs that look like ass.

I'm not against rebranding, but I am against changes that aren't necessary. In my opinion, it's a good thing to test rebrands, but I think that the rebrand needs to be casual, and needs the support of at least 80% of the overall fan base, tested through multiple means. This is the only way an improvement on what we currently have would be guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Image result for leed badge

Remember how badly this one went down. 

Think ours will be similar in terms of reception, and that's without even seeing it. I'm uncomfortable with them coming up with something completely new, if we embraced the robin, people would identify us with it. Cheltenham and Swindon are insignificant. 

Carey - sadly I think your right mate.

I'm not a huge fan of our current crest, but I'm certain it'll be a darn sight better than the dross that's already been selected for us by the board/marketing dept.

On 17/11/2018 at 11:22, Badger08 said:

Surely we have a load of budding designers on here? Can we not have a serious design thread on the forum? Maybe of loads if people like it on here, it could be something for the club to consider

Simple fact is no-one can design a new badge that everyone is going to like, I've seen this over and over and even had a go myself at trying to please everyone but if group a love something then group b are impartial and group c will say they hate it, you make the changes and group a now hate it, group b love it and group c have become impartial.

I think the closest I came to getting a majority happy with my design was this:

S4PmbEa.png

18 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I hate it when things like this happen, because it drives out the vocal parts of three conflicting and clueless crowds.

1. The board, who want a fresh brand to match their other ambitions, usually around marketing "the brand". A crest without soul is usually on the cards, because who gives a **** about soul or meaning? Robins don't pay the bills.
  2. Brand agencies, where you're likely to have a London agency full of hipster designer ***** that would call us "Bristol" and aren't aware that there is a league below the Premier League.
  3. The fans, who for the most part, don't have a creative bone in their body, but are committed to designs that look like ass.

I'm not against rebranding, but I am against changes that aren't necessary. In my opinion, it's a good thing to test rebrands, but I think that the rebrand needs to be casual, and needs the support of at least 80% of the overall fan base, tested through multiple means. This is the only way an improvement on what we currently have would be guaranteed.

I would hope that they went with a local agency who would do a lot of research into the club and it's history, aspirations etc. I'm sure that they have used an agency in Bath before (Mr B) and they are experts in that kind of work. Perhaps they have employees who are fans too? 

On 17/11/2018 at 16:35, Harry said:

If we’re changing our name, it should be something intrinsically linked to the history of Bristol, and more specifically South Bristol. 

One suggested name change could be the South Bristol Slavers, or Bristol City Slavers. 

The badge could be a ship, carrying some priveledged white folks watching some malnourished Africans kicking a ball around. 

Or, we could look to another immoral major Bristolian money-making industry and call ourselves the Bristol Baccy’s or the South Bristol Smokers. 

The badge could be the Tobacco Factory in the background with a few bent-over 50 year olds smoking and hacking up in the foreground. 

Alternatively, we could go with the old Bristolian pride of aircraft manufacture. The Bristol City Concordes or South Bristol Sonics. 

The badge could have the burning bodies of 109 passengers and crew proudly ablaze in front of a depiction of a sonic boom. 

Maybe we should just settle on what Bristol City is all about - football. What our nickname is - Robins. And where we play - in the shadow of the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Sounds like a winner to me. 

3 hours ago, Badger08 said:

As mentioned in the forum thread. The word "concorde" was mentioned in a conversation. Make of that what you will.

Aha. I knew it. See my post #260 on page 6. 

The Bristol Concordes or South Bristol Sonics. 

Minters. 

53 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I would hope that they went with a local agency who would do a lot of research into the club and it's history, aspirations etc. I'm sure that they have used an agency in Bath before (Mr B) and they are experts in that kind of work. Perhaps they have employees who are fans too? 

Mr B and Friends are now based in Bristol, so it's a possibility?

I've worked in a handful of agencies in Bristol over the last decade, and to be frank I wouldn't trust any of them with a crest for this club. That's not to say they don't do branding well - they do. None of them, to my knowledge, have done big branding work for a football club.

Besides, you could have the best designers in the world and they could still **** up, because the person tasked with managing the rebrand on the Bristol Sport side could be pulling the strings in a way that doesn't suit what the fans want. Take the Leeds United crest as an example. As far as a design goes, it's not terrible, but it's certainly not representative of a real-life football club.

In my experience, having worked with a designer that now heads design for a big football club, most clubs do their design in-house anyway, so if we were serious about this I'd like to see the club push towards bringing in a Head of Design.

I've said it before, but to let the club have any say in this will be a disaster. Take the Bristol Flyers logo.

Have they no respect for the family of Flying Officer John Crossley?

In 1957 a Filton-based RAF Vampire jet from 501 Squadron piloted by Flying officerJohn Greenwood Crossley flew under the deck while performing a victory roll[71]before crashing in Leigh Woods, killing the pilot.[72] The accident caused a landslip that led to the temporary closure of the nearby Bristol to Portishead railway line.[73] A helicopter from National Police Air Service Filton flew under the bridge during a search in 1997.[63][74]

BristolFlyersLogo2014.png

Archived