IGNORED

Club Crest to change? Fans Survey (Merged)

Yozzarian

On 19/11/2018 at 10:26, RedRaw said:

If they still retain the robin, I think this is the sort of simplistic logo that BCFC/BS are looking for.

However, for me, it looks like it's just flown into a window.....

Would represent how quickly our season usually comes to a halt

21 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I've said it before, but to let the club have any say in this will be a disaster. Take the Bristol Flyers logo.

Have they no respect for the family of Flying Officer John Crossley?

In 1957 a Filton-based RAF Vampire jet from 501 Squadron piloted by Flying officerJohn Greenwood Crossley flew under the deck while performing a victory roll[71]before crashing in Leigh Woods, killing the pilot.[72] The accident caused a landslip that led to the temporary closure of the nearby Bristol to Portishead railway line.[73] A helicopter from National Police Air Service Filton flew under the bridge during a search in 1997.[63][74]

BristolFlyersLogo2014.png

Good god......I'm assuming this is tongue in cheek?

On 19/11/2018 at 22:20, bris red said:

This for me.. the only thing i would change is the font on the Bristol City.. that current lettering looks a bit cheap and amateurish 

Aside from that, the ball, the robin and the bridge look a bit cheap and amateurish.

6 hours ago, Spike said:

Simple fact is no-one can design a new badge that everyone is going to like, I've seen this over and over and even had a go myself at trying to please everyone but if group a love something then group b are impartial and group c will say they hate it, you make the changes and group a now hate it, group b love it and group c have become impartial.

I think the closest I came to getting a majority happy with my design was this:

S4PmbEa.png

That is really good - it has a traditional feel and incorporates the robin well, even though I’m not that bothered about it.

However, why do people keep using a ball that was only really familiar in the 1970s?

40 minutes ago, phantom said:

Though in hindsight being the "Flyers"  and being from Bristol why they chose that jet is odd

Surely the Brabazon is the only plane distinctive to Bristol?

Image result for bristol brabazon

@Bristol Rob The planes are a bit different

Image result for raf vampire jet

Well with the work that goes on at Filton,  maybe they could enlist Paul McCartney and Wings to do something.

57 minutes ago, Leveller said:

That is really good - it has a traditional feel and incorporates the robin well, even though I’m not that bothered about it.

However, why do people keep using a ball that was only really familiar in the 1970s?

When I used a classic football people complained it didn't look right, if you used a modern football it'd be branded and therefore impossible for the club to use anyway.

19 hours ago, Harry said:

Based on what Junior had to say at the forum, I’d be worried about what we’re gonna end up with. 

Ain’t gonna be the current robin - that’s obvious 

Yes very worried and couldn't stop thinking about it all day so the survey is nothing more than a smokescreen which several people have already mentioned.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Though in hindsight being the "Flyers"  and being from Bristol why they chose that jet is odd

Surely the Brabazon is the only plane distinctive to Bristol?

Image result for bristol brabazon

@Bristol Rob The planes are a bit different

Image result for raf vampire jet

Wow the Brabazon! My father worked on it's construction as a toolmaker.

The day it made it's maiden flight, Dad was on the top of the massive Brabazon hangar. Mum and I were with many thousands very close to the Britannia Cafe on the A38. It was rumoured that Capt Bill Pegg, the pilot, came over the hump at the half way point of the runway, realised he was going too fast so lifted it up for the first time. Fact or fiction matters not. Like Concorde first and last flight, a day to remember for ever.

Phantom.

Plenty of other Bristol plane names. Bulldog, Britannia which was a scaled down version of Brabazon. Beaufort, Blenheim, Brigand are just some.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

That`s the new g*s crest isn`t it?

That'll excite the gay pirate that they currently have.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Wow the Brabazon! My father worked on it's construction as a toolmaker.

The day it made it's maiden flight, Dad was on the top of the massive Brabazon hangar. Mum and I were with many thousands very close to the Britannia Cafe on the A38. It was rumoured that Capt Bill Pegg, the pilot, came over the hump at the half way point of the runway, realised he was going too fast so lifted it up for the first time. Fact or fiction matters not. Like Concorde first and last flight, a day to remember for ever.

Phantom.

Plenty of other Bristol plane names. Bulldog, Britannia which was a scaled down version of Brabazon. Beaufort, Blenheim, Brigand are just some.

Beaufighter.

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Wouldn’t mind something simple like Forest. No football. No Robin. No writing.

Just an outline of the bridge, maybe with 1894 underneath

Even though the suspension bridge is a symbol of Bristol, is it really a symbol to solely use to identify Bristol City..? A tree will always symbolise Forest but just a bridge is a bit random for us IMO. If we are going to go along the simplistic route then just a Robin i think is the best shout..

On 21/11/2018 at 09:50, Spike said:

Simple fact is no-one can design a new badge that everyone is going to like, I've seen this over and over and even had a go myself at trying to please everyone but if group a love something then group b are impartial and group c will say they hate it, you make the changes and group a now hate it, group b love it and group c have become impartial.

I think the closest I came to getting a majority happy with my design was this:

S4PmbEa.png

Nah, don't like it.

Robin's are orange anyway.

If you're going down the robin route then I would add that when it comes to animals as crests I personally think that a simpler, abstract design works well.

Derby's ram, Swansea's swan, even the old Sheff Wed owl or Leicester fox all work well as they are simple outlines of an animal.  Also good are the simple silhouette's that Spurs and clubs like Torino or FC Koln use.

Too much detail confuses the image and detracts from the bold statement that you are trying to make.

Take Torino's badge as an example:

Image result for torino badges

Now, replace the word Torino with Bristol, 1906 with 1894, and the bull with a simple silhouette or line drawn robin. Make the robin a tad smaller so you can fit "City" underneath it. Then play around with white on red or red on white, play with fonts and stuff, remove the "FC" entirely.

I reckon that would look half decent.

Personally, I would prefer the return of the robin, but I can understand those who consider this not to be unique as owls are to Sheffield Wednesday etc. After the last war we changed our nickname from The Babes to The Robins, so why not rebrand us again as a compromise and identify ourselves with an animal unique to us, especially as the Robin has been serving us in a much reduced capacity for nearly 30 years.

With this in mind, I nominate two red animals for your consideration:

1. The Red Panda (guaranteed to win us many floating fans due to its cuteness).

2. The Strawberry Poison Frog (guaranteed to do quite the opposite. Indeed, any floating fans will be looking to make land at the earliest opportunity).

To my knowledge no other club has the nickname The Strawberry Poison Frogs or, for that matter, The Red Pandas. Just imagine the fear engendered in the hearts of opposing fans when they read in their programmes, 'This afternoon we welcome our visitors from the West Country The Strawberry Poison Frogs'.  Put it this way, if someone told you that a robin was in your back garden you would most likely go outside and take a look. If someone told you that a neighbour's strawberry poison frog was on the loose you'd barricade yourself in and plug up any gaps and put your will and estate in order just in case.

Of course, a strawberry poison frog wouldn't make a great mascot. It would scare the kids witless (as well as most adults). So that is where the red panda would come into its own. On afternoon matches the red panda can be on duty in its cuddly, cute costume. Then on the night matches the strawberry poison frog can take over as it will then be past the watershed.

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Even though the suspension bridge is a symbol of Bristol, is it really a symbol to solely use to identify Bristol City..? A tree will always symbolise Forest but just a bridge is a bit random for us IMO. If we are going to go along the simplistic route then just a Robin i think is the best shout..

It is visible from inside our stadium. Thus is relevant to us.

40 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Personally, I would prefer the return of the robin, but I can understand those who consider this not to be unique as owls are to Sheffield Wednesday etc. After the last war we changed our nickname from The Babes to The Robins, so why not rebrand us again as a compromise and identify ourselves with an animal unique to us, especially as the Robin has been serving us in a much reduced capacity for nearly 30 years.

With this in mind, I nominate two red animals for your consideration:

1. The Red Panda (guaranteed to win us many floating fans due to its cuteness).

2. The Strawberry Poison Frog (guaranteed to do quite the opposite. Indeed, any floating fans will be looking to make land at the earliest opportunity).

To my knowledge no other club has the nickname The Strawberry Poison Frogs or, for that matter, The Red Pandas. Just imagine the fear engendered in the hearts of opposing fans when they read in their programmes, 'This afternoon we welcome our visitors from the West Country The Strawberry Poison Frogs'.  Put it this way, if someone told you that a robin was in your back garden you would most likely go outside and take a look. If someone told you that a neighbour's strawberry poison frog was on the loose you'd barricade yourself in and plug up any gaps and put your will and estate in order just in case.

Of course, a strawberry poison frog wouldn't make a great mascot. It would scare the kids witless (as well as most adults). So that is where the red panda would come into its own. On afternoon matches the red panda can be on duty in its cuddly, cute costume. Then on the night matches the strawberry poison frog can take over as it will then be past the watershed.

Oldham have an owl on their badge too.

Archived