IGNORED

Club Crest to change? Fans Survey (Merged)

Yozzarian

6 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I will put my tin hat on but I hate the nickname. It might be a feisty little bird but and eagle or owl would eat it.

A bluebird would fly rings around it....

Additionally we share the nickname with four other English professional clubs including two within 40 miles of us.

Better than being called a ******* bear though. One of Sir Steve's post natch session ideas i'm guessing....

Should call us the The Bloods - we would pick up a lot of fans in California then.

Sounds terrible, you can imagine the insinuation with periods, menstruation, etc. Tampons, surf boards…perhaps it's just me?! :noexp: 

I said this not long ago and still stand by it...

The badge of any football club is the first image you base in your head. Little things like MOTD, EFL highlights, Sunday papers, football match day programmes. You see opposing teams and their badges and you know exactly who they are.

A football badge has to be purely associated with the club and it’s ‘identity’. Therefore the Robin and Suspension Bridge fits perfectly for Bristol City FC and that’s what it should be.

It stinks of reinventing the wheel.

Clifton Suspension bridge, football and Robin but I guess that's just too obvious, and wont command a 5 figure fee from some deep thinking, pompous designer.

One of my last jobs in the print industry I was asked if I thought our inhouse design team could come up with a few ideas to rebrand the University logo where I worked. I had them spend about 30 minutes each coming up with a few ideas, we quickly got two approved by the heads of three departments. They put it to their teams and settled on one design, grand total of zero pounds spent. 

But that wasn't the winning design, oh no, some idiot trying to justify their pay grade decided to take it to an external design team in an expensive part of town and £8 grand later we ended up with a logo with a bit of text and a chevron. 

Sometimes it is just the blatantly obvious which is the brand. Bring back the old Robin badge just with an update. 

16 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

That is because IMO, most on here have not got a scooby doo about the history of BCFC. I for one was at Newport County away when we nearly went out the league in the early 80s - 82 I think it was. 

But then I am probably older in the tooth than you?

IMO this is just a distraction over what is also a hot topic, removal of Johnson as coach - is this just clever Marketing to distract away from Johnson?

That game away at Newport was when we were effectively going bust, not being relegated out of the league. It was January 1982 - and when the squad arrived back at Ashton Gate after the game there was a handwritten note left for them by a director....on it was a list of eight names who had to attend a meeting with the board of directors....the rest is history. But then you must have known that as you know our history....

....and as for the coat of arms crest being ‘iconic’ - I can’t agree with that...it’s the same badge that has been used by three other sporting clubs based in our city - if something is iconic it is deemed a characteristic of a single icon...so it isn’t iconic...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That game away at Newport was when we were effectively going bust, not being relegated out of the league. It was January 1982 - and when the squad arrived back at Ashton Gate after the game there was a handwritten note left for them by a director....on it was a list of eight names who had to attend a meeting with the board of directors....the rest is history. But then you must have known that as you know our history....

....and as for the coat of arms crest being ‘iconic’ - I can’t agree with that...it’s the same badge that has been used by three other sporting clubs based in our city - if something is iconic it is deemed a characteristic of a single icon...so it isn’t iconic...

Your reply reminds me of Jacob Rees Mogg!!!

Is BS4 on Tour you Jacob?

18 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Imagine Junior allowing a St George on our badge !

Further proof that football is simply about merchandising / branding  ££££ 

Becoming one big plastic circus

If we had a St George on our badge, would Jon Lansdown instruct the stewards to remove all replica shirts from fans when we play Cardiff? 

If we’re changing our name, it should be something intrinsically linked to the history of Bristol, and more specifically South Bristol. 

One suggested name change could be the South Bristol Slavers, or Bristol City Slavers. 

The badge could be a ship, carrying some priveledged white folks watching some malnourished Africans kicking a ball around. 

Or, we could look to another immoral major Bristolian money-making industry and call ourselves the Bristol Baccy’s or the South Bristol Smokers. 

The badge could be the Tobacco Factory in the background with a few bent-over 50 year olds smoking and hacking up in the foreground. 

Alternatively, we could go with the old Bristolian pride of aircraft manufacture. The Bristol City Concordes or South Bristol Sonics. 

The badge could have the burning bodies of 109 passengers and crew proudly ablaze in front of a depiction of a sonic boom. 

Maybe we should just settle on what Bristol City is all about - football. What our nickname is - Robins. And where we play - in the shadow of the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Sounds like a winner to me. 

Oh great so SL's dipshit son is going to get his crayolas out again like he did for the embarrassing training top?

I wish these BS idiots could just leave it alone.  The only people that want a new identity are the people who don't understand the existing identity.

6 hours ago, Badger08 said:

Can we not have a serious design thread on the forum?

Non-football day punt, out of curiosity at a Brentford / PSG style badge using the various design elements people seem most keen on.

If I wanted to sound really deep thinking, the focus on the lower half circle below the bridge indicates South Bristol. I did try a gate too.

1118748021_NewCityLogo2019.thumb.png.b80a39800f7eb58248b60411958c7dcb.png

I think they're going to have their work cut out. All of these still feel too busy and quite forgettable. And not everyone wants the Robin.

It will be very hard to create an unfussy, classy crest without stripping it down to just one visual item. Bridge? Robin? Something else? 

5 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Oh great so SL's dipshit son is going to get his crayolas out again like he did for the embarrassing training top?

I wish these BS idiots could just leave it alone.  The only people that want a new identity are the people who don't understand the existing identity.

To be fair there has been a long time undercurrent of opinion to change the logo back to the Robin.

When that may happen, everyone is up in arms.  I don't get it.

7 hours ago, Loon plage said:

I will put my tin hat on but I hate the nickname. It might be a feisty little bird but and eagle or owl would eat it.

A bluebird would fly rings around it....

Additionally we share the nickname with four other English professional clubs including two within 40 miles of us.

Better than being called a ******* bear though. One of Sir Steve's post natch session ideas i'm guessing....

Should call us the The Bloods - we would pick up a lot of fans in California then.

The Blue Bloods .

1 hour ago, Harry said:

If we’re changing our name, it should be something intrinsically linked to the history of Bristol, and more specifically South Bristol. 

One suggested name change could be the South Bristol Slavers, or Bristol City Slavers. 

The badge could be a ship, carrying some priveledged white folks watching some malnourished Africans kicking a ball around. 

Or, we could look to another immoral major Bristolian money-making industry and call ourselves the Bristol Baccy’s or the South Bristol Smokers. 

The badge could be the Tobacco Factory in the background with a few bent-over 50 year olds smoking and hacking up in the foreground. 

Alternatively, we could go with the old Bristolian pride of aircraft manufacture. The Bristol City Concordes or South Bristol Sonics. 

The badge could have the burning bodies of 109 passengers and crew proudly ablaze in front of a depiction of a sonic boom. 

Maybe we should just settle on what Bristol City is all about - football. What our nickname is - Robins. And where we play - in the shadow of the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Sounds like a winner to me. 

We might be the pirates (or the sea-faring types) when you think about it - I reckon they probably sailed mostly west past our place from Redcliffe, not north and east up the bloody Frome to Winterbourne. Well, only the thick ones.

Admittedly, the piratical, or parasitic, thing is very apt for the Tent Few. They wear it well.

15 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

We might be the pirates (or the sea-faring types) when you think about it - I reckon they probably sailed mostly west past our place from Redcliffe, not north and east up the bloody Frome to Winterbourne. Well, only the thick ones.

Admittedly, the piratical, or parasitic, thing is very apt for the Tent Few. They wear it well.

Wake up Maggie .

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Non-football day punt, out of curiosity at a Brentford / PSG style badge using the various design elements people seem most keen on.

If I wanted to sound really deep thinking, the focus on the lower half circle below the bridge indicates South Bristol. I did try a gate too.

I think they're going to have their work cut out. All of these still feel too busy and quite forgettable. And not everyone wants the Robin.

It will be very hard to create an unfussy, classy crest without stripping it down to just one visual item. Bridge? Robin? Something else? 

The top right one is a decent start! Nicely done @Olé

Would probably try and modernise the Robin slightly though. The font aswell perhaps? Nevertheless, that’s a good effort.

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

To be fair there has been a long time undercurrent of opinion to change the logo back to the Robin.

I think it's possible to want a change while at the same time being at least a little nervous at what the result might be, given past instances of the club deciding to change things.

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

“Preemptive paroxysms of rage” is probably the best phrase I’ve ever read on here. A doff of the cap to you sir, magnificent!

Well it beats Virtute  et Industria … if we go down the crest of arms route again..

would work well as a tag line for the Angry Robin too  …. :)  

BCFC 'Pre-emptive Paroxysms of Rage' … I like the sound of that, it'd scare the shite out of opponents ! 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Nice bridge but naff robin and ball.

I’d favour something simple based on that circle and bridge, but scrap the robin, as few people associate it with our club.

On 16/11/2018 at 18:53, BRISTOL86 said:

Funny thing is that the Wolves badge is frequently cited as a good, instantly recognisable, clean looking badge, yet the fans have derided the Bristol Bears logo which is conceptually very similar! 

Funny old game. 

I’ve always thought that Wolves badge is instantly recognisable but childishly bad!

A classic example of something that dates really quickly when some designer tries to look modern.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

If we can get the Robin smoking a woodbine, whilst under the hammer of a honkey, I reckon you could be on a winner here.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Heading in the right direction with these I think, but definitely a bit too busy and a little too close to Brentford.

I’d like to see something like the above but using only the modern robin (with wings spread) posted earlier in the thread. I don’t think you can include both robin and bridge without it becoming too cluttered.

Here’s a controversial suggestion...do you need “Football Club” or is just “Bristol City” enough? I fully realise that’s contentious and I’m not advocating it, just putting it out there. I know Man United removed “football club” from their crest a few years ago. Purely from a design point of view I thought it improved the crest but I understand why some wouldn’t like it.

2 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

It's a vocal minority, the polls on this always favour the existing crest.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Top right one is a bit Sheffield United'y.

I'd be interested to see how it looks with a head on robin and old fashioned football.

Archived