IGNORED

Checkatrade trophy : Vale Vs Stoke (Merged)

phantom

• Admin

I understand how the tournament is becoming more and more devalued from when we won it a few years ago, but there was an interesting tie drawn out earlier that caught my eye. 

Port Vale Vs Stoke City U21's

It does not seem that long ago they were playing in the same league as each other, but in footballing terms is this the equivalent of being lapped in a race? 

Got me thinking, surely we are closer to playing those non entities up the road in this tournament than in any league fixture anytime soon? 

It will be interesting to see what kind of interest there is in the Vale vs Stoke match as I'm sure if it was down here the crowds would be interesting 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Got me thinking, surely we are closer to playing those non entities up the road in this tournament than in any league fixture anytime soon? 

Wouldn’t we need to get relegated first before we could compete in this competition? Surely you aren’t saying that is likely?! Under our young, forward thinking, innovative, bright, sought after head coach? Surely not...

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wouldn’t we need to get relegated first before we could compete in this competition? Surely you aren’t saying that is likely?! Under our young, forward thinking, innovative, bright, sought after head coach? Surely not...

No that's most definitely not what he is saying, if you read it again.

Any excuse to have a dig at Johnson though...

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Or we could put our U21s in, which I think was the point.

9 hours ago, phantom said:

I understand how the tournament is becoming more and more devalued from when we won it a few years ago, but there was an interesting tie drawn out earlier that caught my eye. 

Port Vale Vs Stoke City U21's

It does not seem that long ago they were playing in the same league as each other, but in footballing terms is this the equivalent of being lapped in a race? 

It will be interesting to see what kind of interest there is in the Vale vs Stoke match as I'm sure if it was down here the crowds would be interesting 

Does anyone know what the crowd was for the Port Vale game? I'm sure there would be interest in this for many City fans if it happened (almost the final humiliation for us, getting beaten by your U21s) but as many Rovers would boycott it ( I haven't been to one match in it's current format) it would be a tough one to call crowd wise!

• Admin
9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wouldn’t we need to get relegated first before we could compete in this competition? 

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

No that's most definitely not what he is saying, if you read it again

Correct, with our academy constantly progressing and looking for a higher grading if this tournament keeps this format we can't be many years away from entering it. Of course the other thing is that many U21 sides are declining the invite to take part so the qualification requirements are dropping 

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Does anyone know what the crowd was for the Port Vale game? 

It's not been played yet, pencilled in for around December 3rd 

11 hours ago, phantom said:

It seems only a few years back that pair met in the Northern Final to determine who'd play the winners of the Southern Final at Wembley.

6 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

I don’t get why people don’t like this compilation. I’d love our under 23s to enter it and do the gas!! Plus for people trying to do the 92 club it’s very good.

I thought it was a case that it was by invitation and only if you had a Cat 1 academy.

Not sure we qualify.

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Correct, with our academy constantly progressing and looking for a higher grading if this tournament keeps this format we can't be many years away from entering it. Of course the other thing is that many U21 sides are declining the invite to take part so the qualification requirements are dropping 

It's not been played yet, pencilled in for around December 3rd 

If, as the record holders of winning this competition, we ever put a ‘B’ side out in it that’s me done.

Don’t expect to ever be in the position to but if we did I’d be ******* livid.

I think it's a disgrace what they've done with the competition to be honest, using the pathetic excuse that football league fans would be excited to see Chelsea U21's is laughable. It shows how out of touch the people at the top of the game are with the lower leagues, and is the first step towards allowing Premier League B teams into the football league. (If that does happen I'm definitely done).

It hasn't even raised the profile of the competition either, the media almost seems to have joined the fans and clubs in protest by giving it almost zero coverage. It's almost like it no longer exists.

46 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

I think it's a disgrace what they've done with the competition to be honest, using the pathetic excuse that football league fans would be excited to see Chelsea U21's is laughable. It shows how out of touch the people at the top of the game are with the lower leagues, and is the first step towards allowing Premier League B teams into the football league. (If that does happen I'm definitely done).

It hasn't even raised the profile of the competition either, the media almost seems to have joined the fans and clubs in protest by giving it almost zero coverage. It's almost like it no longer exists.

Top post as usual, Owl. Spot on with everything you said.

19 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

And we’d then be in the same league as them, making a league fixture much more likely ?

6 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Ah... you say that.... but wait until Rovers get to the final and take their usual 63,000 to Wembley.

13 hours ago, Owl Visiting said:

Absolutely , if the Prem sides didn't send all their best youth players out on loan it would be good quality sides in the comp and might be worth seeing. As it is Chelsea alone have something like 40 kids out on loan so that's how far down the pecking order their U21 team will be.
Although the group stages have long lacked interest, the thing about the competition is it gave lower League teams a chance to go to Wembley and maybe win something. Throwing random teams in purely to aid those teams to blood youngsters is more Prem bias and ruined an already struggling format. Not sure what they could have done to improve the tournament or raise the profile, but then I'm not convinced that was their aim. 
There seems to be a part of 'football' that feels the need to try and reinvent itself , just to prove their worthwhile. The 39th game etc, it usually has nothing to do with improvement and all to do with more money for the elite.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Absolutely , if the Prem sides didn't send all their best youth players out on loan it would be good quality sides in the comp and might be worth seeing. As it is Chelsea alone have something like 40 kids out on loan so that's how far down the pecking order their U21 team will be.

I noticed in one recent game, one of the Arsenal players had his squad number on the shirt back.........87. Will he ever get near the first team?

On 17/11/2018 at 00:30, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well yes, but if the gas progress at least you can always drive a minibus full of their fans to Wembley .....as that sort of thing obviously appeals to you.....for some strange reason....

On 17/11/2018 at 07:41, Robbored said:

It was the play off final.

Why is the ‘competition’ relevant? You drove a minibus full of gas to a game at Wembley....

1 hour ago, Akira said:

Bit of a strange thing to do, don't you think, being a city fan and all that...? Surrounded by gasheads... For the entire day... 

Really don’t understand the stick RR gets for this?  Many of us have friends who support other clubs that we’d do anything for.  Friends over football rivalry for me anytime.

Archived