IGNORED

Portishead Commuters

RedRock

Good folks of Portishead..... taking my partner up for a work conference in Princess Street at 9:00am after an overnight stay at Portishead’s finest (told her)/cheapest (reality). 

Heard about horrendous jams on the Portishead ‘straight’ up to M5 junction - was planning then to head off Abbots Leigh direction, over Suspension Bridge then filter down through Clifton to City Centre. 

How many hours should I allow for the journey? 

The queues from Portishead to M5 aren’t that bad - BUT Don’t go the A369 it’s a fetid pit of misery AFTER  the motorway roundabout usually  all the way to Clifton Suspension turn off. I would suggest going up Naish Hill, through Failand and then either continue down Clarkencombe or hang a left at failand lights and come out at Begger Bush lights which won’t be that bad there after. I go that way to BS3 most days but I leave around 7:20-7:30 and get to North Street for 8 usually - the major queue is from the Long Ashton junction till you get into the A370. That itself is busy till hotwells. 

The other option is portway but come off at Sylvan Way and though towards the downs then down into town.

5 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

The queues from Portishead to M5 aren’t that bad - BUT Don’t go the A369 it’s a fetid pit of misery AFTER  the motorway roundabout usually  all the way to Clifton Suspension turn off. I would suggest going up Naish Hill, through Failand and then either continue down Clarkencombe or hang a left at failand lights and come out at Begger Bush lights which won’t be that bad there after. I go that way to BS3 most days but I leave around 7:20-7:30 and get to North Street for 8 usually - the major queue is from the Long Ashton junction till you get into the A370. That itself is busy till hotwells. 

The other option is portway but come off at Sylvan Way and though towards the downs then down into town.

Quality description mate! I must remember to use it when I`m next crawling down there for a City night game.

14 minutes ago, eastonboy said:

Tom, pretty sure that Beggar Bush lane is going to be closed for the next few weeks for resurfacing during the days

So it is, from 8-5 each day. Wonder how much that’s going to stuff things up.. 

34 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

So it is, from 8-5 each day. Wonder how much that’s going to stuff things up.. 

Really badly. Was caught in traffic leading up to Failand last Thursday eve and it was queuing all the way back to that lane! I use it every day so what with that and the M5 average speed check it's a nightmare. Dreading tomorrow now ?

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Really badly. Was caught in traffic leading up to Failand last Thursday eve and it was queuing all the way back to that lane! I use it every day so what with that and the M5 average speed check it's a nightmare. Dreading tomorrow now ?

I’m sooo glad I’m retired! 

Beggar Bush was my main commute route in to Clifton village.  

Archived