IGNORED

Gazza

myol'man

I had the fortune to meet Gazza in his younger days

On a number of occasions at the WC 90 at Training Camp in Sardinia 

Couldnt have been better with fans, couldn’t do enough , photos , signatures , jokes , laughs 

Robson used to go mad because he always held up the coach leaving

Not long after I was lucky enough to be there when Ch4 did a series based at Wembley with Gazza coaching some the best 10/11 year olds in the country 

He was magnificent with everyone , including the kids, and would turn up at the hotel after filming to chat with the kids and play games with them

Absolute gem of a bloke , ruined by alcohol 

And the most talented player I’ve ever seen in an England shirt

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I had the fortune to meet Gazza in his younger days

On a number of occasions at the WC 90 at Training Camp in Sardinia 

Couldnt have been better with fans, couldn’t do enough , photos , signatures , jokes , laughs 

Robson used to go mad because he always held up the coach leaving

Not long after I was lucky enough to be there when Ch4 did a series based at Wembley with Gazza coaching some the best 10/11 year olds in the country 

He was magnificent with everyone , including the kids, and would turn up at the hotel after filming to chat with the kids and play games with them

Absolute gem of a bloke , ruined by alcohol 

And the most talented player I’ve ever seen in an England shirt

The 'evil drink-i hate it sometimes when I think what I've seen it do to friends/family.

The devil doesn't wear horns.

7 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Hes loved because he was the last player who gave everything for the england shirt so a fooballing legend....

6 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Fair dos , becks is also a footballing legend. 

I think you’re linking ‘giving everything for the shirt’ with being a ‘legend’ - which isn’t the same - so you’re really serious when you say Gazza was the last player to give everything when playing for England? So, in your opinion, no England player has given their all since 1998?

That’s obviously not true ...... off the top of my head, I’d say Wayne Rooney, Michael Owen, Gary Neville, John Terry, Stuart Pearce, Tony Adams, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Alan Shearer, Paul Ince, Harry Maguire etc etc all gave their all for the shirt and all played after Gazza’s international career ended....

I feel desperately sorry for him. The best player England had in my lifetime by some distance but the poor sod couldn’t handle the fame, and alcohol destroyed him. Throw into the mix underlying mental issues and being preyed upon by the red top press then it’s no surprise he has turned into a basket case. It’s tragic. I’m sure he is no angel, but then again who is ?

im sure there is more to this story than has been said, and probably he was pissed at the time. This is just so sad.

I feel nothing but sympathy for the poor guy, without doubt an absolute joy to watch, about the only guy who can get away with his silly flute playing during an old firm game, I really hope he can sort his demons out but I seriously doubt it

On 20/11/2018 at 15:18, EnderMB said:

Gazza has been a scumbag for years. This isn't a new thing, and it's weird how it's taken a court case for opinion of him to shift.

I mean, it wasn't more than a year ago that Gazza, a decade out of retirement, sold out a theatre for one of those "A night with..." shows, where he told a black doorman that all he could see was his teeth. More than a few years ago, his ex-wife published an entire ******* book on how she "escaped" their relationship. The last two decades have been a downward spiral for him.

For the record, I don't think he's a bad guy. I think he's the product of what happens when a mentally ill person is put on a pedestal, all while the press sniff around him like a hungry dog, waiting for scraps of controversy. Older fans love him because he's a character, and because his attitude reminds them of a time when society accepted them acting like *****, which doesn't help his ability to heal. Finally, social media gives him a permanent platform, with fans and the press having unrestricted access to the thoughts of a man that has had scattered thoughts for most of his life. I won't even go into the whole Roal Moat thing, but it's funny how the only thing people remember of that ordeal is "hur dur, gazzas there with a bucket of chicken what a ledge".

I know the FA have tried to help him once before, but I think there needs to be a coordinated response to this court case, and not one of helping. The FA should agree with the British Press to put a Gagging Order on Gazza, ensuring that he is firmly out of the limelight, so he can start the road to proper recovery. Commit to lifting it only in extreme circumstances, or a few years after he's deemed to have made a full recovery and can rejoin society.

used to love him to pieces, including his japes off the pitch. The idolization ended abruptly when it came out he was smacking his lady about. 

Still revere the talent he showed, the entertainment he gave, and still chuckle at some of the stories from his past, but.... he's clearly a very sick and troubled soul. Your post nails it. I'm desperate for the Gazza story to have a happy ending, but it's hard to imagine one. 

• Admin
9 hours ago, myol'man said:

Depends on which version of the story you believe

39 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

There has only been version released and that's Gazza's.

All the other versions have been invented by people on the internet who don't like him.

Was going to say the same thing

On 10/01/2019 at 08:49, Eddie Hitler said:

There has only been version released and that's Gazza's.

All the other versions have been invented by people on the internet who don't like him.

Ah the old fake news adage and siege mentality that seems to excuse anything of investigation or balanced public scrutiny these days

3 hours ago, Fjmcity said:

Ah the old fake news adage and siege mentality that seems to excuse anything of investigation or balanced public scrutiny these days

We have only received the accuser's version today.

All the other "versions" from whenever this happened were just posters on here making things up despite knowing absolutely nothing about what went on and therefore were entirely worthless.

Now that we have the accuser's version people can judge each.

10 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

90 and 96 how many better players were there than gazza?

Franz beckenbauer called him world class.

Total waste of resources this court case.

You wont find many spurs, rangers, or lazio fans with a bad word to say about him.

Of Course ?.

I am sure 'Gazza' was and still is revered by many football fans, including those from his boyhood club, Newcastle (who you didn't mention), for, as you say, he was a world class footballer.

Throughout his career, 'Gazza' became something of a character, a loveable rogue if you like, epitomised famously by his tears in Italy and, subsequently, once his career had finished, in giving up his free time to offer fried chicken to a poor man sleeping rough next to the river.

Seriously, though, and whilst it is well-documented that 'Gazza' had a difficult upbringing, there has always seemed to be a darker side to him, linked no doubt to his equally well-documented addiction and mental health problems.

Whilst I believe sincerely he could have, and most certainly should have, received counselling earlier in his career, the fact is that he is now an ex-footballer living in the real world, a world that, no matter who he is or was, gives him no right to force himself on a lone woman or, indeed, on any woman - remember, 'Gazza' unfortunately has some history in this domain.

It is perhaps typical of the 'cheeky chappy' that is 'Gazza' that, apparently in drink, he thought he would act as he did, but his behaviour also betrays a certain arrogance, for who, in this day and age, would consider it acceptable to 'kiss a fat lass to give her a confidence boost'.

Obviously, I wasn't present, but I can only imagine that, if this 'fat lass' was as insecure as 'Gazza' suggests, she must have been both humiliated and horrified when this unknown man forced himself upon her, and now, adding insult to injury, 'Gazza' seems to be suggesting he was doing the woman a favour because she was fat!

I am sorry, but, in the absence of an apology, I believe this lady has every right to see this matter tried in Court.   

He didnt have a difficult upbringing, he lived in a stable family home.

Anyone who has ever read his autobiography would know that.

Just look at the kindness he showed his family when he made it.

The fried chicken he took to the poor man, i pressume you mean raoul  moat, was chicken sandwiches he made himself.

Like you said phil you werent there, it could be rubbish so dont play judge and jury.

Archived