IGNORED

Fort those who saw John Atyeo play....

22A

Yes, you are right.

I myself had the privilege of seeing Big John as he turned the last Oldham Athletic defender just inside the box, at the Easy end of the ground,  to see the ball to soar past the keeper and high into the net and seal promotion for City, to the then second division that April afternoon in 1965. 28,000 fans cheered and almost half of them ran onto the pitch at the end to celebrate with him. Already a mad City fan aged 11yrs by that time, I had also seen him score three goals at Shrewsbury on a Tuesday night, two weeks before, courtesy of my friend Andrew Barber and his parents, who had taken us excited boys in their Ford Cortina the four and a half hour journey to Gay Meadow, no motorways in those days.  The Goal keeper that night for Shrewsbury... Yes, the legendary Mike Gibson. 

34 minutes ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Yes, you are right.

I myself had the privilege of seeing Big John as he turned the last Oldham Athletic defender just inside the box, at the Easy end of the ground,  to see the ball to soar past the keeper and high into the net and seal promotion for City, to the then second division that April afternoon in 1965. 28,000 fans cheered and almost half of them ran onto the pitch at the end to celebrate with him. Already a mad City fan aged 11yrs by that time, I had also seen him score three goals at Shrewsbury on a Tuesday night, two weeks before, courtesy of my friend Andrew Barber and his parents, who had taken us excited boys in their Ford Cortina the four and a half hour journey to Gay Meadow, no motorways in those days.  The Goal keeper that night for Shrewsbury... Yes, the legendary Mike Gibson. 

I’m glad you enjoyed the goals, but not quite correct. He scored 4 goals away to Shrewsbury the previous (Easter) Monday, with City home to Shrewsbury the next night. I was behind the goal at Shrewsbury and remember it well. I do agree with you about the journey time. I went by coach and, after the driver went all around Bristol dropping people off, got home about 3.00 am 

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I’m glad you enjoyed the goals, but not quite correct. He scored 4 goals away to Shrewsbury the previous (Easter) Monday, with City home to Shrewsbury the next night. I was behind the goal at Shrewsbury and remember it well. I do agree with you about the journey time. I went by coach and, after the driver went all around Bristol dropping people off, got home about 3.00 am 

Didn't realise coach 1 had been going that long!

51 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

You are correct, I had my Monday (away) and Tuesday (home) games mixed up. Those were the days eh, two games in two days. I l also loved watching Brian Clark play alongside John, of course Brian was top scorer in that promotion season with 24 goals. John was runner up on 23 goals. 

I remember them both training against the low wall in the car park, opposite the Williams stand entrance doorway.  I was an autograph hunter in those days and John being a school teacher would make us boys form a line and sign just one signature each, but made sure everyone had one...

Never had the privilege of watching Atyeo play as I started watching City around 67 or 68.  I would have liked to have gone a couple of years sooner but I was not allowed.

Have seen many of John Atyeo's performances on a video and would love to have seen the real thing.

Seen a lot of great City players in my time though, especially in the Div 1 days.

Don't think there will ever be anyone again playing for City like Gentleman John.

He was the most exciting player I have ever seen playing for City.

So glad I was privileged to watch him in his heyday as a City International striker

M y grandfather had seen Wedlock play, and in that Final too, but still thought Atyeo the best player he had seen to play for City

15 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Yes, you are right.

That was the only game I missed as a 14 year old that season as no b*ggar would do my paper round in Swiss Drive, Swiss Road area, I had to be content with hearing the cheers. How I cried that night as I had missed it all ?

Thing I remember was Atyeo's lightning turn in the box when he had his back to the goal. There is film somewhere of him practicing this in his back garden. He must have practiced this move a million times. 

He's just outside the 6 yard line with his back to goal, Ashton Gate goes silent as he puts his foot on the top of the ball and rolls it towards the goal, he turns in a split second and the onion bag is bulging from a shot that would kill a camel.

I think the only time I ever played truant from school was when Big John played for England in a mid-week afternoon  game .  I was determined to watch it on TV...and it was only a Games afternoon so I didn't feel too guilty :-).  Ohhh...so many happy memories of watching John at Ashton Gate ….he never gave less that 100%.  A true legend !!   Those were the days !

23 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Yes, you are right.

Eastender, I'm afraid your memory is playing tricks with you. Gibbo signed for City from Shrews in 1963 and was in goal for City in the game you saw at The Gay Meadow in April 1965.

Apart from that it was a hell of a run in to get promotion. When we played Oldham, I took a couple of hours off work as a Bristol bus conductor to be at Ashton Gate. My apologies to all those who had a longer wait for the number 8 between Warmley and Southmead.

The second promotion with John Atyeo in the side.

2 hours ago, swampy said:

He was a legend .... saw him a few times  ... and good to see a road in Dilton Marsh named after him ... 

Atyeo Close next to his house is where the Atyeo apple orchard was, 

I saw his first against Newport in 1951 and his last against Ipswich in 1966, he scored in both games. And probably a couple of hundred matches in between. A leader by example, goalscorer par excellence, creator of goals for others and a gentleman on and off the pitch. Privileged that I saw so much of his career.

15 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Don't think there will ever be anyone again playing for City like Gentleman John.

He was the most exciting player I have ever seen playing for City.

So glad I was privileged to watch him in his heyday as a City International striker

M y grandfather had seen Wedlock play, and in that Final too, but still thought Atyeo the best player he had seen to play for City

My father saw Wedlock play, probably around 1912-14 and also Atyeo throughout his whole career. He just said that both were very good footballers.

8 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

That was the only game I missed as a 14 year old that season as no b*ggar would do my paper round in Swiss Drive, Swiss Road area, I had to be content with hearing the cheers. How I cried that night as I had missed it all ?

Shame you didn’t meet Mrs Oldstandrobin a couple of years earlier - you could have dumped the papers on her and b*ggered off to the Gate!

Archived