IGNORED

Callum O'Dowda

onehowie

39 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Your post sums it up perfectly...Pato did look real quality last season until his illness... BUT in a few weeks time that will be a whole year ago, since when he has been mainly pants!

I agree, sadly. I think he’s a real confidence player. If he can find some form again, he’ll be a real asset. 

I can actually see why LJ persists with him. How else is he going to regain his form of last year, if he’s not playing..? Having said that, I can understand people’s frustrations at the time that it’s taking him to do so.  

11 hours ago, Chappers said:

Isn’t it because of contract issues? LJ won’t play him because he won’t sign, and he won’t sign if he’s not getting games. Personally I would pick him as he adds pace and direct running, the contract issue should not matter, he’s under contract and we are paying his wages. 

The stats page I was looking at says he’s only played about 100 mins less than Paterson for us this season. 

People point towards stats but the key difference is Pato plays consistently and so should at least get some momentum.

Since O'Dowda has come bad from said "much more serious" than expected injury, he hasn't played 3 games in a row since, and is always dubbed off despite his work ethic.

On balance our issue is giving the ball away in the middle atm. Shoe-horning in Pato destablises the balance of the side as he doesn't track back. And when he does its half hearted, stick a foot towards the ball stuff - leaving DaSilva and Kelly very exposed.

Can see O'Dowda doing a Freeman. Magical £5m man once he leaves after leaving for peanuts, under a decent non-rotational coach giving him consistant minutes.

Another player who’s suddenly a world beater when we’re playing badly despite having offered very little since he’s been here. I would like to see him have a good run of games though, but we can say that about a lot of players....(!)

As for Freeman, he’s had one good season in 5 years. I’d be amazed if he reproduces last seasons form again to be honest. He had a lot of game time with us in the Championship and was consistently poor. 

I would have COD in the side above Pato on his form since Christmas, for sure, but let’s not pretend he’s been amazing! Pato at his best for us has been twice the player COD ever has. 

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think people forget just how good Jamie Paterson can be. 

I agree he’s not found his form yet this season (possibly this calendar year even) but before Christmas he was fantastic. 

I don’t think COD has had much more than a handful of decent games st this level, so far. 

100% would rather an inform JP over an inform COD. He can make players look like training cones 

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

People point towards stats but the key difference is Pato plays consistently and so should at least get some momentum.

Since O'Dowda has come bad from said "much more serious" than expected injury, he hasn't played 3 games in a row since, and is always dubbed off despite his work ethic.

On balance our issue is giving the ball away in the middle atm. Shoe-horning in Pato destablises the balance of the side as he doesn't track back. And when he does its half hearted, stick a foot towards the ball stuff - leaving DaSilva and Kelly very exposed.

Can see O'Dowda doing a Freeman. Magical £5m man once he leaves after leaving for peanuts, under a decent non-rotational coach giving him consistant minutes.

Paterson has only played 128 mins more Championship game time than COD this season, which did surprise me. 

I agree that when we are not on the front foot, Pato can leave other areas a bit exposed. Whereas COD gives better input defensively (as a team player) he doesn’t produce enough in attacking situations. 

If you could combine the 2 players, you’d have have a hell of a player there..! 

It seems that when Pato plays well, the team tend to play well. Granted, that had been all too infrequent during 2018. 

12 hours ago, Jack Bailey said:

Bin him off.  What a typically blinkered fan!

Callum won’t be holding anyone to ransom. Why should he commit to a manager that doesn’t play him yet he’s a regular starter for Ireland. Players careers are short and COD has every right not to sign  

If he goes in Jan or summer, good luck to him. 

‘COD has every right not to sign.......’

true - and LJ has every right not to play him, when there are other players available who have committed themselves to the club for a longer period. 

Its not personal, it’s a logical strategy on both sides. 

Like I said, I like COD and hope he commits, but if he refuses then we should concentrate our investments of time, training and effort on someone who  has committed. 

As a typical blinkered fan, let me rephrase ‘bin off’ for those who may have misunderstood - by this I meant offload, sell, loan out - do SOMETHING with him that would recover some funds, rather than continue paying his wages whilst he runs his contract down - which is no good for either him or the club. 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Despite the stats which totally contradict it..?! 

I think if you analyse the stats Paterson's contribution since January are woeful as have been his performances.

The lack of performance has been highlighted due to the fact that in general, our team performance has been woeful in 2018.

The lad can play but I think the illness that he had plus the fact that LJ keeps picking him despite being out of form has not helped. Ironically, if we were doing better Paterson's loss of form would to an 'extent' be hidden and he would have the opportunity to play himself back into form - currently that is not the case, nor is it his fault.

As a winger I think O'Dowda is a better bet, although that does not mean I have been overly impressed by him either. I don't see Paterson as a wide player at all, number 10 is where he should play for me but LJ would appear to see if differently. 

As for O'Dowda, if he is refusing to sign a new contract we need to sell in January, we wont get much but better that than having him hang around until May and walk for free.

16 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think people forget just how good Jamie Paterson can be. 

I agree he’s not found his form yet this season (possibly this calendar year even) but before Christmas he was fantastic. 

I don’t think COD has had much more than a handful of decent games st this level, so far. 

I agree with this too. 

Paterson isnt suited to LW, thats obvious. Plus its obvious his form dipped when taken out of that no 10 position to squeeze Diedhiou back in after xmas.

He’s got quality on the ball and a 1 in 4 goals/goals creation stat. Thats not bad considering the sh1te hes trying to service in front of him. 

Yes hes lightweight. But no more so than Elliasson or Brownhill. LJ’s other merry band of vertically challenged players seem to be immune from critics. 

19 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Jamie Paterson. 79 Bristol City championship games. 10 championship goals. 12 Championship assists  

Callum O’Dowda. 72 championship games. 1 championship goal. 5 championship assists. 

Can you elaborate on your statement..? 

Of course your stats state appearances not minutes , can u supply actual minutes played ? 

O’Dowda runs around a lot and occasionally looks like he might be able to do something with the ball. But mostly, he never takes a man on, rarely delivers a dangerous ball into the box and mostly runs to his opponent and then turns and passes it back. He’s had plenty of minutes on the pitch and for me has failed to deliver. 

I watched him last night playing in an attacking central role. Something many on here have said we should do with him. I thought he had little idea of what his role was. As usual, he ran around a fair bit and did decent defensive work but whenever Ireland had an attack (which was rarely) he wasn’t involved. A couple of times he managed to get the ball with back to goal (just inside oppo half), lay it off allowing Ireland to launch an attack with width, but then when the cross came in Callum was still ambling forward nowhere near the box. Ireland might’ve had more of a chance of scoring if their attacking midfielder (and one of the only 2 forward players they had) actually managed to get in the box when they were attacking. It highlighted to me that he doesn’t know that position. 

15 hours ago, daored said:

I work with two Huddersfield fans and they can’t believe whenever I’ve made negative comments about Paterson. 

Both have said they’d have him in their squad.

Well he did score 6 goals for The Terriers when he was on loan there...mind you, we thought Matt Smith was world class when he smashed a few in for us under the same circumstances....

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Who do you think you are, asking me to do your homework on stats, because you think you are too busy..! 

It’s not an immature response, it’s a dismissive one. 

You stated I was wrong , no problem with that , but prove I'm wrong ...if not why comment ? Put up or shut up is the saying I believe ....

28 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

You stated I was wrong , no problem with that , but prove I'm wrong ...if not why comment ? Put up or shut up is the saying I believe ....

I have! I posted the links showing all the information, so you can have a look at any aspects of it yourself. You just can’t be bothered. 

So I guess I’ve put up and maybe you should shut up..?! 

Talk of him playing in a central role, when we played WBA away earlier in the year, I sat in the WBA end. 

COD was playing a lot more centrally in the second half of that game and the WBA fans around me were saying what a good neat player he was in the midfield. Very skillful, good passer, read the game well.

Tinnion spent most of his career out on the left wing, it wasn't until the last few seasons of his playing career where we realised he was actually a brilliant creative central midfielder.

Shame he (O'Dowda) had that injury when he did- his form at that time was brilliant. Not been the same since, but centrally maybe he could provide something different- we'll see...

Paterson has not been the same since he got taken off v Wolves (entirely the right call incidentally)- he has had illness too didn't he, but he's surely a confidence player- I know all players have that but especially the case with him- seems to go on runs and then...nothing.

In the case of Paterson, being shunted all over the place this season in his starting position can't help either. He's best as a 10- play him as a bona fide '10' for a consistent run of games to give it a final go in terms of getting him going, or not at all. Not saying I would but with a player like him if you don't give him the best possible chance to succeed, you may as well not bother.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I have! I posted the links showing all the information, so you can have a look at any aspects of it yourself. You just can’t be bothered. 

So I guess I’ve put up and maybe you should shut up..?! 

The links show minutes played not minutes played in a specific position as I was referring to , so no you haven't.

Feel free to disagree but supply the accurate links to back up your childish responses.

25 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

The links show minutes played not minutes played in a specific position as I was referring to , so no you haven't.

Feel free to disagree but supply the accurate links to back up your childish responses.

You asked for minutes played- see below.

18 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Of course your stats state appearances not minutes , can u supply actual minutes played ? 

Nothing to do with position there.

@Bar BS3 provided links showing what you asked for.

Archived